Hookup And Consumer Unit Under The Bonnet

Deaky

Life’s too short to drink shite beer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
At the minute, I have an EHU extension lead with a RCD and breaker built in to it. I run this into the van and plug my battery charger in when needed.

I'm toying with the idea of fitting it permanently. Would there be anything wrong in fitting the EHU socket under the bonnet with an enclosure next to it with an RCD and breaker that's connected to the charger. Preferably with the charger under the bonnet too?

The enclosure could be IP67 rated if need be.

Plenty of room behind the LED's and infront of battery.. my connection runs into this space.. and no issue in closing bonnet as there is a space to run the lead out ant end of the wing..
If that don't make sense then tough.. had a couple of bottles..

I plan to do exactly this. I found the perfect enclosure and will use 2x RCBOs to save space, the enclosure has on free space.

It's IP65, which I think is plenty unless you are converting a submarine (IP65 is protected from water jets, IP67 is submersible)

Here it is;

62994-2b9527bd2a1ebb4e25454b5f4cfd5daa.jpg

There's a upright plastic wall on the left of the battery, its' 'foot' bolts to the chassis. I plan to cut the foot off, put an steel upright in, and screw the consumer unit (and the plastic wall) to this. If you find a better way, let me know!

The downside I can see is that two flexes will need to run into the van, but the (big) upside to this is that the unprotected cable runs are much shorter.

Last edited:
That's the enclosure I was looking at and exactly the place I'm thinking of putting it. Not sure if the MCB/RCD or RCBO's have to be 2 way. Just in case the hookup post has reverse polarity?

That's the enclosure I was looking at and exactly the place I'm thinking of putting it. Not sure if the MCB/RCD or RCBO's have to be 2 way. Just in case the hookup post has reverse polarity?
If you mean 2 pole, then these RCBOs are 2 pole, if you fit a standard 35mm wide RCD, youll only get one MCB in the box

If you mean 2 pole, then these RCBOs are 2 pole, if you fit a standard 35mm wide RCD, youll only get one MCB in the box
Looks like that's just the job then :thumbsup:

Just make sure you get the right RCBOs @Deaky as traditionally most 1 module rcbos are 1 pole and 2 module rcbos are 2 pole but some of the modern ones are starting to change over to 2 pole in a single module
I think Cudis/CPN are around the cheapest for this but most manufacturers are releasing updated reduced size RCBOs now so worth checking around
RO2NE RCBO - single pole MCB sized RCBO's with a 5 year warranty.

You were right, the RCBOs I had were only switching the live. I've sent them back and bought the Wylex ones instead, they switch the neutral too.

What's the best way to run the cable out through the closed bonnet? I'm thinking I need to fit some kind of clip that makes the cable always run in the same 'safe' place. Also I'm keen to run it where it wont mark my shiny paintwork!

There’s bags of room between the bonnet and the grille on mine. You could wrap the cable in some tessa tape if you’re worried about any scratches.

What's the best way to run the cable out through the closed bonnet?
I'm thinking I need to fit some kind of clip that makes the cable always run in the same 'safe' place.
Also I'm keen to run it where it wont mark my shiny paintwork!
There’s bags of room between the bonnet and the grille on mine.
You could wrap the cable in some tessa tape if you’re worried about any scratches.

That, or affix some clips to the unseen part of the grille and the bottom of the bumper to clip the fly lead in to?
If it’s held taut it should minimise the chances of scratching

There’s bags of room between the bonnet and the grille on mine. You could wrap the cable in some tessa tape if you’re worried about any scratches.

Not so with mine (T6.1). If I try to close the bonnet with a (scrap) cable sticking out the front, it feels bad, if you know what I mean. The plastic trim above the headlights has a small (10mm?) lip on it and I think this is where it touches the soundproofing under the bonnet.
64484-92238219712b8e4bf2fd3431089f454e.jpg

It's possible at the back, where the rubber seal is very compressable. It grips the cable, but it's still possible to pull the cable through.
64485-53963554ec57e59002c6f9adf28d2ba5.jpg

There's also a route through above the wing, on the outside of the hinge mechanism. But a slight misplacement here would be a disaster
64486-44d9da2609ab037ba84160e348be5ce0.jpg

I plan to do exactly this. I found the perfect enclosure and will use 2x RCBOs to save space, the enclosure has on free space.

It's IP65, which I think is plenty unless you are converting a submarine (IP65 is protected from water jets, IP67 is submersible)

Here it is;

View attachment 62987

There's a upright plastic wall on the left of the battery, its' 'foot' bolts to the chassis. I plan to cut the foot off, put an steel upright in, and screw the consumer unit (and the plastic wall) to this. If you find a better way, let me know!

The downside I can see is that two flexes will need to run into the van, but the (big) upside to this is that the unprotected cable runs are much shorter.
Hello,,, Have you got the specs for the above kit you used? Not a spark and not sure what bits to order... I've got the Artic cable and the sockets but need the cu details , many thanks Simon

I used this box;

74436 x 1 Wylex 3-Module IP65 Insulated Enclosure With Visor £11.01 from TLC

and I think these were the breakers;

but I can't remember where I got them, I will check tonight...

I used this box;

74436 x 1 Wylex 3-Module IP65 Insulated Enclosure With Visor £11.01 from TLC

and I think these were the breakers;

but I can't remember where I got them, I will check tonight...
Many thanks.. yep found the box on screwfix... but I don't know which modules to get.. many thanks for your time... Don't fancy making the whole van live!

Hello,

considering one of these to try and mount under the bonnet .. anyone used one that will fit?

am looking for 2 DP MCBs in an IP65 housing

thanks

Back