RCD for EHU - will this one be OK for under bonnet?

Atwcm

Wondering if this is adequate for the purpose. To be fitted inline at the bonnet end of the EHU cable I'll be routing from under the bonnet to supply my Victron smart charger and onwards to a double wall socket?

Thanks a plenty (whether it's yes or no).

Wondering if this is adequate for the purpose. To be fitted inline at the bonnet end of the EHU cable I'll be routing from under the bonnet to supply my Victron smart charger and onwards to a double wall socket?

Thanks a plenty (whether it's yes or no).
It would work, but not be ideal (IMHO) It's a single fused outlet, so only gives you one protected 13A circuit. Most EHU are 16A, which in it's self isn't a problem, apart that in the odd occasion when you want to take advantage of that loverrly 16A of leccy goodness, fan heater, leccy kettle, Nespresso machine :whistle: etc, you would be limited to13A. If you did inadvertently blow the fuse, you'd be scrabbling about under the bonnet, in the dark, in the rain. These things never happen during the day when it's sunny & warm. Generally you'd use a 2 or 3 way consumer unit, similar to a garage or shed unit, with an RCD & a couple of MCBs. This would allow you to have a mains socket outlet on one breaker, and an another breaker for ancillaries e.g. a mains charger for the LB.

Thank you both for the speedy replies.
I'll not go that route then.
I'll be using minimal 240v electrical items. Mainly the Victron charger. No fridge. No coffee maker. No hairdryer.
Will I get away with the @drinfinity solution of under the bonnet with this set-up (screengrabbed his photo - hope that's OK and with thanks)

Screenshot_20240412_174022_Chrome.jpg

Those are very specific devices that are both RCD and MCB - that's still two distinct circuits.

If you go that route it's important to have double pole RCBOs and there are very few that fit in one unit width rather than two, see this thread:

Thank you - I'm very grateful for the input.
If I can't find something that works for under the bonnet then maybe best to sacrifice some of the cupboard space then and install it in there.

Back