Help.. T6.1 Camper or Crafter Camper which should i get??..

Rear wheel drive is 100 mm higher floor in the back, so 100mm less headroom. It would be only just about high enough for me. In the end, for us the Transporter won on the grounds of being easier to get into standard parking spaces, which we have to do frequently.
Thank you for making me aware of this although this won't be an issue for us as I'm the tallest at 5.10.

One thing to be aware of is that whilst the crafter is obviously bigger and should in theory offer more space, in practice it’s really hard to find a design that actually is designed for five - the market around them is much more geared up to offering more space/facilities for two or four people.
Thank you for this but I think if I want to stick with VW I've got this problem for either Transporter or Crafter. My logic is my daughter is 14 and my youngest son is 3 so it won't be long until my 14 year old won't want to come away with us so it'll essentially be for 4 of us.

Thank you for this but I think if I want to stick with VW I've got this problem for either Transporter or Crafter. My logic is my daughter is 14 and my youngest son is 3 so it won't be long until my 14 year old won't want to come away with us so it'll essentially be for 4 of us.

Makes sense. I assume you at least want five travelling seats to use in a pinch. It would seriously limit the flexibility of the vehicle not to fit the whole family in at all.

Somewhat counterintuitively, it seems easier to find camper designs with five travelling seats in a T6 than a Crafter. We have five in our LWB T6, we did have three in the rear seat (which you could do too given your youngest is small) but now we’ve added another single seat to give more comfort for longer distances as they’ve all grown.

Makes sense. I assume you at least want five travelling seats to use in a pinch. It would seriously limit the flexibility of the vehicle not to fit the whole family in at all.

Somewhat counterintuitively, it seems easier to find camper designs with five travelling seats in a T6 than a Crafter. We have five in our LWB T6, we did have three in the rear seat (which you could do too given your youngest is small) but now we’ve added another single seat to give more comfort for longer distances as they’ve all grown.
Yes we will have 5 travelling seats, the conversion company I'm using are very accommodating with their designs and he has said that if I wish to stick with my Transporter then he said he could keep the use of the single seat mounts in the rear so I can travel 5 comfortably if I wanted.

Personally I think it sounds Crafter all the way. I have twin 15 year old boys and its virtually impossible as a family of 4 plus dog to camp comfortably unless you start bolting on awnings etc.. My van is a daily but it is pretty much reduced to me using it for racing or kayaking trips on my own or with wifey.
I would have a crafter purely for being able to stand up inside especially when the weather is poor.

Reactions: CAB
We were in your situation with a slightly different requirement, in that this had to be a daily driver for us, so the first van (a T5) won out. It was an elevating roof LWB and TBH it was too small. We ended up selling it after about 18 months (and going to a motorhome). We now have a elevating roof SWB T6 and it is still a daily driver, it is perfect for 2 but cramped with 3. Be aware that camping all year around with a canvas roof can be challenging, but we prefer it as we "wild camp" nearly all of the time and it will go under most barriers.

We both wish that we could have a high top & wider van with more facilities, but that would seriously limit us, so we compromise. If you are not going to use it often and it is going to be a pure leisure vehicle, be honest with yourselves and get a high top Crafter. 3 is difficult enough but 4 or 5 will be miserable in a T6, unless you put up an awning but to my mind if you do that, you might as well have a caravan, trailer tent, large tent etc. Factor in that if the other half is already not thrilled about "camping" you want as pleasant an experience as you can have.

Personally I think it sounds Crafter all the way. I have twin 15 year old boys and its virtually impossible as a family of 4 plus dog to camp comfortably unless you start bolting on awnings etc.. My van is a daily but it is pretty much reduced to me using it for racing or kayaking trips on my own or with wifey.
I would have a crafter purely for being able to stand up inside especially when the weather is poor.
Thank you for your reply. I guess you can't buy experience

We were in your situation with a slightly different requirement, in that this had to be a daily driver for us, so the first van (a T5) won out. It was an elevating roof LWB and TBH it was too small. We ended up selling it after about 18 months (and going to a motorhome). We now have a elevating roof SWB T6 and it is still a daily driver, it is perfect for 2 but cramped with 3. Be aware that camping all year around with a canvas roof can be challenging, but we prefer it as we "wild camp" nearly all of the time and it will go under most barriers.

We both wish that we could have a high top & wider van with more facilities, but that would seriously limit us, so we compromise. If you are not going to use it often and it is going to be a pure leisure vehicle, be honest with yourselves and get a high top Crafter. 3 is difficult enough but 4 or 5 will be miserable in a T6, unless you put up an awning but to my mind if you do that, you might as well have a caravan, trailer tent, large tent etc. Factor in that if the other half is already not thrilled about "camping" you want as pleasant an experience as you can have.
Thank you, again advice from someone who's got some experience is priceless

Thank you for making me aware of this although this won't be an issue for us as I'm the tallest at 5.10.
Trust me it is a issue. We have the crafter high top, lwb, and fwd so lower floor. I’m 5”10’ tall. Only 2” above my head. The rear wheel drive will have the floor 4” higher, level with the cab floor. That would be brushing my head on the ceiling all the time. For rear wheel drive you will need extra hight roof not just high roof. The benefit of rear wheel drive is good traction in winter and off road. If you don’t off road, or only mild in fair weather, good all terrain tyres or winter tyres will be fine with fwd. we have been on fairly steep gravel roads and never span the fronts with winter tyres.

Bit late to this thread but we have followed Oldrat in moving from T6 to crafter….
And taken his recommendation in using Rhales conversion.
We’ve gone big XLWB plus extra high roof.
Agree with all the discussions above re space and winter warmth.
T6 LWB was great but when weather bad became quite a small compact space in the evenings. Fine on sunny and warm days with awnings etc.
Bon voyage in all your travels

Bit late to this thread but we have followed Oldrat in moving from T6 to crafter….
And taken his recommendation in using Rhales conversion.
We’ve gone big XLWB plus extra high roof.
Agree with all the discussions above re space and winter warmth.
T6 LWB was great but when weather bad became quite a small compact space in the evenings. Fine on sunny and warm days with awnings etc.
Bon voyage in all your travels
Sorry I missed your message. So I paid my deposit yesterday but haven't gone as big as some of you guys. I went for a lovely specced up MWB, high roof Crafter 177 manual in pure grey which was a cancelled order two days ago so right place right time as i have been waiting since April 21 for my Transporter Sportline but just decided to jump straight to the Crafter as my first ever campervan. It'll be a while before it's camper ready but I'll be making some external mods in the mean time. Thanks for everyone's input in this thread it really helped me. Cheers.

Hi all, thought I may as well show off the van before any mods are made. Really impressed with how the van drives. Love it, definitely the right decision.

20220621_115111.jpg

Back