Help.. T6.1 Camper or Crafter Camper which should i get??..

VWSAWKS

Crafter
T6 Pro
Hi, so we're a family of 5 (kids are 14, 10 & 3) plus medium dog and we've never had a volkswagen van/camper before. I currently have a Transporter Sportline Kombi LWB on order since April 21 with the plan to have it converted into a Camper when it arrives (if it ever arrives). All this time waiting has got me thinking maybe I should just go straight to a MWB Crafter Camper as it's not going to be a daily driver, just camping with Family and mountain biking with buddy's and camping.

As I'm new to all this I'm looking for some advice from someone that's been there and got the t-shirt so to speak and that can offer their experience/regrets of either owning a Transporter and going to a Crafter or vice versa.

If I'm completely honest my wife isn't really into the whole idea and just says exclude me from the decision as she feels she will rarely come with us.

Sorry for the long post but this whole waiting process on my Sportline has given me far too much time to really sit thinking about it all and it's driving me nuts.

The conversion is being done by Vision Tech Automotive for those who have used them before and can offer up their experience with this company also.

Thanks, Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would hire a camper for a weekend and see how it goes - that's the best way to assess.
My gut feel is that you will struggle with 5 in a transporter based camper.

Peter

I would hire a camper for a weekend and see how it goes - that's the best way to assess.
My gut feel is that you will struggle with 5 in a transporter based camper.

Peter
Thanks Peter, I think my gut is telling me the same but as my wife is saying exclude me then I'm reducing this number down to 3 of us as my youngest will probably stay at home with her. Your probably right to hire one but by the time weather comes nice my van will be here so I'll need to make a decision as I've booked and paid for my conversion spot.

You don’t need to wait for nice weather ! In fact, average weather is a better test, as you end up in the van more.

Pete
Great point, I hadn't thought of. I'm just thinking if I want the wife to enjoy it I want the best possibly setting ie. a glass of red watching the sun setting on a summer's evening! I'm a lot less high maintenance

Are you going to be having one night, move on to the next site, one night there and so on, or stay put for a week?

If it's the latter, much less money buys you a much more spacious and comfortable caravan. Your 'home' gets set up and you have a nice comfortable vehicle to ride round in without having to pack everything away each time.

Are you going to be having one night, move on to the next site, one night there and so on, or stay put for a week?

If it's the latter, much less money buys you a much more spacious and comfortable caravan. Your 'home' gets set up and you have a nice comfortable vehicle to ride round in without having to pack everything away each time.
Yes the idea is to be able to explore a number of places while away and offence but caravaning isn't my thing

I'd go straight to Crafter, if I was you. Definitely don't get a caravan, more space but a ballache in every other way. Fixed or dropdown bed, indoor storage for bikes whilst travelling, etc. More storage, more space for the kids and dog.

Thanks guys, this is what I'm thinking. So the next question is would anyone be put off with a rear wheel drive crafter I'm not really sure if this is a good or bad choice of Crafter? Only reason i ask is there's a nice speced one on Autotrader but pretty much all the others on there are FWD?...

Rear wheel drive is much nicer to drive. They just feel better balanced and more refined.

Hire first before you commit to anything.
Your first camper will not be best layout for your family, almost guaranteed.
Think about how much packing up you’ll be doing… on a campsite for days or just overnight. Smaller is much more work.

Poor weather and the time of year might mean spending a lot of downtime time in the van, so consider how much “living” space you might need. Consider a ‘drive away’ awning.

As an example -race style vans look the biz, but have really cramped living space limited to around a small table - ideal for short weekends and an awning but not so for roaming and one night stops. The same logic might apply to a T6.1
Personally, I think you need a Crafter. But then I would say that wouldn’t I.

84347511-5138-4614-91A7-EA0ABD67F249.jpeg

Hire first before you commit to anything.
Your first camper will not be best layout for your family, almost guaranteed.
Think about how much packing up you’ll be doing… on a campsite for days or just overnight. Smaller is much more work.

Poor weather and the time of year might mean spending a lot of downtime time in the van, so consider how much “living” space you might need. Consider a ‘drive away’ awning.

As an example -race style vans look the biz, but have really cramped living space limited to around a small table - ideal for short weekends and an awning but not so for roaming and one night stops. The same logic might apply to a T6.1
Personally, I think you need a Crafter. But then I would say that wouldn’t I.

View attachment 143254
Thank you for your advice, I had a feeling that making the correct first choice would be difficult because I would need to experience all that campervaning has to offer us.

I'm assuming yours is a Grand California? I was considering a white van as there is so many available and having the bottom wrapped the same as yours.

Cheers.

Thank you for your advice, I had a feeling that making the correct first choice would be difficult because I would need to experience all that campervaning has to offer us.

I'm assuming yours is a Grand California? I was considering a white van as there is so many available and having the bottom wrapped the same as yours.

Cheers.
Not a Grand Cali, but splendidly converted by Richard at Rhales conversions to my own design. I call it my Grand Crafter ☺️

And it was plain white to start paint and wheels added later.

AA1C0893-8FB9-4E32-8F21-4D405884C9C1.jpeg

Full story on this forum under Crafter corner
HERE

Hope that helps

Rear wheel drive is 100 mm higher floor in the back, so 100mm less headroom. It would be only just about high enough for me. In the end, for us the Transporter won on the grounds of being easier to get into standard parking spaces, which we have to do frequently.

One thing to be aware of is that whilst the crafter is obviously bigger and should in theory offer more space, in practice it’s really hard to find a design that actually is designed for five - the market around them is much more geared up to offering more space/facilities for two or four people.

Back