T6.1 Camper Ride Setup

joner847

PXL_20230307_125504731.MP.jpg
Morning! This is "Black Panther"!! A 2020 T6.1 Transporter T30 Highline Camper (Conversion). I don't come very often to this forum....too busy enjoying
this magnificent vehicle!!! :):cool:!

So. I've owned her since January 2022 and have been everywhere (including the Costa Daurada (just South of Barcelona)). This year we're off to Benidorm!! However I think I'm going need to address the medium sized Fly-in-the-ointment....the ride!! As you can see she's sits on a set of 20" Velare VLR011's. You can probably see that some non-standard coils/dampers have been fitted (not by me), unfortunately I have no clue on brand, only to say that there are some adjustable Lock nuts that can alter the height (they are Turquoise in colour (on the off-chance that this may help!!)). The types of roads that I'm asking this van to use (the shitty B-Roads of rural Wiltshire; rutted, potholed, uneven, twisty) is starting to reveal a problem in that the front wheels spend a lot of their time being stuffed into the top of the arches...especially when weighted up...I have two teenage daughters with lots of friends!! So more often I'm 6-up (she has 6 travel seats) with bags, camping gear etc...... I didn't buy this van just to look at it!!

Before our Spanish trip last summer, to ensure minimal wheel to inner arch contact, I did raise the ride-height (I have a mate who's VW Master Tech so we had the van on his ramp); it appeared that I've topped out the rears, the fronts could go higher but we agreed that would look stupid...so we we kept all 4 corners (centre of wheel to highest point of wheel arch) measurements the same. But I'm finding that, especially after the last winter and the inability of our local authority to maintain the local road network the issue is getting worse!!

Apologies for the "essay"! So those that know!! What are my options? Smaller Wheels? Different Coils/Dampers...could I do something with what I've already got!!?? Any suggestions gratefully received (I don't have a massive budget btw!)!

Reading between the lines you like the look of your camper as it is, sadly you're going to have to spend money if you want to maintain that look as you're really looking for more suspension travel within that stance.
Bearing in mind finances a set of smaller wheels eg. 18s with slightly taller 55 profile tyres will normally allow you to claw back a little travel from the coilovers but if your rears are at their max height already then keep your 20s and budget for a visit to CRS and better suspension.

hmmm topped out the rears? as it looks to me it's more the way around. nevertheless i've got a cali t6.1 with kw coilovers.
dropped it the first time, she was heavy on the arse, so we lifted the back again, now she's nose down.
than i changed the wheels to 18inch banded amarok steels with general grabber at3 235/55/18
i noticed the front was rubbing a bit on full lock and when taking speed bumps, so raised the front a wee bit and now she's running sweet
meanwhile switched the banded steels for some 18inch alloys, with some spacers,

i like the looks and i can still get to some mild remote places ;-)

more recent pics can be found in the team ascot grey topic

132064950_10220512224810334_3483158866874328765_n.jpg

Just had my suspension done at CRS and Steve knows his stuff I went 25mm higher than standard with swamper wheels Koni dampers with HR springs and new drop links plus Power Flex anti roll bar bushes new pads and disc all round it's super comfy with no body roll and I can plough through potholes at will.

Back