he was telling us about Electric cars/vans and how there are a couple of garages that have an authorised Lithium battery pack repair area that are built like bomb shelters. . . where the specially trained guys have to wear full on explosive proof gear to disassemble and make safe damaged battery packs. . and perform battery pack repair.
The issue isn't so much an explosive risk it's more a projectile risk. Packs are generally made of the same round cells we see in USB battery packs and those mechanically are very much like a drinks can with a pressed can body and base and then the top crimped on.

There is a pressure vent to help prevent issues under normal conditions but in a large pack even when discharged (and a damaged pack may not be able to be) there is still substantial energy. If enough current flows to start a fire the over pressure vents can't cope and the tops burst off the can leaving the body very much like a firework rocket motor.

It's why I'm very wary of DIY power walls etc, if you have enough cells in one place you really need to consider mechanical containment/moderation so that you minimise the risk of cells ejecting, as burning rocket motors going everywhere in a fire really makes it hard to deal with.

Reactions: CAB
What's the forum consensus on this? Has it prevented/reduced EGR clogging for 6.1s or is it still too early to tell? I read through threads describing tales of EGR woes with a feeling of impending doom for my van, but I haven't really taken any notice of whether 6.1s are specifically amongst those vans that have the problems.

dont mention in that doc. .

but you can see it here:

just before the rear box, a diverter valve that forces clean high pressure gas bacl to the EGR cooler. (apparently)

1704806398412.png

1704806470863.png

1704806554187.png

Last edited:

dont mention in that doc. .

but you can see it here:

just before the rear box, a diverter valve that forces clean high pressure gas bacl to the EGR cooler.

View attachment 224807

View attachment 224809

View attachment 224810
At a high level I get what the mod is intended to do, but you could have substituted those pictures with ones of Harry Potter's Nimbus 2000 broomstick and I wouldn't any the wiser. :whistle: I was just wondering whether the mod was having the intended benefit or not.

At a high level I get what the mod is intended to do, but you could have substituted those pictures with ones of Harry Potter's Nimbus 2000 broomstick and I wouldn't any the wiser. :whistle: I was just wondering whether the mod was having the intended benefit or not.
its not a MOD you can do on a T6,

its the whole new T6.1 design of the engine, exhaust, EGR system etc. - that's what they done to improve things over the T6.

so for T6 people is a couple of flushes and then replacement unfortunately.

shorter drives will clog it faster, long motorway drive less so.

its a ball ache to change apparently.

the VW tech was just saying that VW fixed the EGR clogging issues apparently, but are having some issues with the exhaust diverter valve sticking. . . so they are replace under warranty with the faulty item being returned to the vw factory where its examined. then a new version will be made better to fix the failure - so on goes the cycle of evolution and part revisions. ultimately improving the van we drive.

and just for you, . .

1704811784440.png1704812215450.png

its not a MOD you can do on a T6,

its the whole new T6.1 design of the engine, exhaust, EGR system etc. - that's what they done to improve things over the T6.

so for T6 people is a couple of flushes and then replacement unfortunately.

shorter drives will clog it faster, long motorway drive less so.

its a ball ache to change apparently.

the VW tech was just saying that VW fixed the EGR clogging issues apparently, but are having some issues with the exhaust diverter valve sticking. . . so they are replace under warranty with the faulty item being returned to the vw factory where its examined. then a new version will be made better to fix the failure - so on goes the cycle of evolution and part revisions. ultimately improving the van we drive.

and just for you, . .

View attachment 224818View attachment 224819
Fanks mate.

5 players - the MV Airo is made by Mikuni who are a Japanese manufacturer since the 1920s. It appears to be a direct copy of Webastos with every component the same! The older basic Mikuni heaters used to be a common fitment in yachts.
Personally I would not touch Planar with the Russian associations even though they have supposedly relocated out of Russia.
That leaves 3 players with credentials that stand up to scrutiny.
Webasto
Eberspächer
Mikuni.

Chinese heaters are out for me - I would not trust the safety accreditation at all.
Russians are out for obvious reasons.
The Mikuni MV Airo would appear to be intellectual theft unless there is some sort of licencing happening in the background.
After a freezing cold night in the van last w/e, I've started to look at getting a diesel heater. For a newbie the proliferation of options is overwhelming to start with, so the above summary is very helpful. For me, the premium group (Eberspracher/Webasto) cost more than I can justify or afford, but I could not trust the safety of a cheap Chinese copy enough to run it whilst sleeping. In between these two extremes we have Planar/Autotherm (Russian?) and the MV Airo and by a process of elimination it is the latter that I am currently considering.

Have there been any new developments since the above summary was posted that I should consider eg reputable Chinese make?
What are peoples experience with the MV Airo with regard to reliability, noise etc?

Just looking for advice before making a purchase

I'll be looking at the Autoterm unit, when I get around to it. (When I raise the funds)

With the under slug mounting. OEM ducting points and OEM style derv pickup.

The fancy controler.... And hoping for a WiFi based app instead of the SIM based current unit.

Was looking to have Planar Pete from FB fit it.

The BUS is back in the Garage.

for the pre-booked return for warranty work. - under the ALL-IN cover

they had already applied for the parts back on the 8th apparently.

this is what the garage said when we dropped it off.

The DMF (rattles when cold) - Approved and being done under ALL-IN.

The Drivers door hinge - DECLINED under ALL-IN.

and no mention of the ARB OSF Upper . .

++++

so i called the VW CV FS ALL-IN team to double check what's going on. . .

they confirmed the DMF was approved and being done.

and that the HINGE was declined saying "its not a covered part", i asked why as it wasnt a service item nor a wear and tear item - to which i was told its classed as a BODYWORK part, which is not covered under ALL-IN.

hmm. . . . .

also no record of the ARB OSF upper - but they confirmed it may be covered, but the garage had to make a warrenty application for that seperatly.

a quick call to TPS got us the part numbers and approx. costs.

looks like it needs painting as well. . . . .

Genuine VW Volkswagen 7E0831412D O/S Front Lower Door Hinge for Transporter £79+vat (this is the one that's snapped on mine)

1706023492435.png

Genuine VW Volkswagen 7E0831402b O/S Front Upper Door Hinge for Transporter £59

1706023523953.png

so looks like im on my own with the knackered hinge.

and i need to contact the Garage to ask them to apply for the ARB issue.

Last edited:
The BUS is back in the Garage.

for the pre-booked return for warranty work. - under the ALL-IN cover

they had already applied for the parts back on the 8th apparently.

this is what the garage said when we dropped it off.

The DMF (rattles when cold) - Approved and being done under ALL-IN.

The Drivers door hinge - DECLINED under ALL-IN.

and no mention of the ARB OSF Upper . .

++++

so i called the VW CV FS ALL-IN team to double check what's going on. . .

they confirmed the DMF was approved and being done.

and that the HINGE was declined saying "its not a covered part", i asked why as it wasnt a service item nor a wear and tear item - to which i was told its classed as a BODYWORK part, which is not covered under ALL-IN.

hmm. . . . .

also no record of the ARB OSF upper - but they confirmed it may be covered, but the garage had to make a warrenty application for that seperatly.

a quick call to TPS got us the part numbers and approx. costs.

looks like it needs painting as well. . . . .

Genuine VW Volkswagen 7E0831412D O/S Front Lower Door Hinge for Transporter £79+vat (this is the one that's snapped on mine)

View attachment 226677

Genuine VW Volkswagen 7E0831402b O/S Front Upper Door Hinge for Transporter £59

View attachment 226678

so looks like im on my own with the knackered hinge.

and i need to contact the Garage to ask them to apply for the ARB issue.

we got the BUS back. . . . . . Yay.

after 11 days !! - Booooo !

it took them:
3days to think about what they were doing.
2days to get a quote for drop links.
4days to get a quote from the body shop to spray the hinges
2days to do the DMF

6x unanswered phone calls
6x unanswered emails
3x un-replied reception calls.
it was only when we managed to get the service guys mobile number that we got any correspondence.
(so well be finding another different VW CV garage to try next time round - which will be the third !)
( i dont know if its just us and our two vans?, but the customer service is shocking these days from both these VW garages - and the online reviews seem to agree)

the outcome was the Hinges quote (both sides) supplied, painted & fitted were around £800 - so we politely declined. (ill deal with this later)

and the drop links quote - supplied and fitted were around £400 - so we politely declined. (ill deal with this later)

The DMF job has been done - under the all-in warranty. which is great as its around +1k job.

interesting how they show the van in/out in one calendar day.

1706866325395.png

but testing things out with a "cold engine". . . . it sounds buttery smooth and tight.

very happy with the new DMF outcome compared to to rattle box before.

++++

i might try and do a side by side vid clip, detailing the noise?

Sadly I don't think there are any really decent VW CV garages anywhere. (And not many VW car dealerships!) Commercially there is absolutely no imperative to make your service experience better.
Most of the vans are nearly new and not owner operated, if customers have a bad experience they will be replaced by new customers with vans in warranty. Rinse and repeat.
We shifted to an independent garage with a motivated very experienced hands on owner who is happy to deal with my OCD about our van and its engineering.
Of course if your still on a warranty scheme your locked in but as you have found with your hinges, most schemes have big gaps in cover.
You and VW will be hoping its trouble free for the remainder of the scheme.

I note that for electric passenger vehicles, including the Buzz, VW have just shifted to an agent style of selling rather than franchise so that all vehicles are ordered directly from VW.

Allegedly it's because customers want predictable pricing, an odd way of selling fixed pricing, but it does rather remove the dealer even more from the loop so I can't see it helping customer service improve.

I note that for electric passenger vehicles, including the Buzz, VW have just shifted to an agent style of selling rather than franchise so that all vehicles are ordered directly from VW.

Allegedly it's because customers want predictable pricing, an odd way of selling fixed pricing, but it does rather remove the dealer even more from the loop so I can't see it helping customer service improve.
Our iD4 is in one sense much better for customer service than all the ICE VW's we have owned. In the 3 years it's only had to go in once for a software update/service.
Apologies for the thread creep, :)

What the Absolute Hell is going on. . . . .

Noticed this, that must be coming from the BUS.

1708106358985.png

that's roughly the rear of the engine. . .

I get under and see this . . . wet gearbox at the rear.

1708106417057.png

from the topside, we can see oil around the DSG cooler area. . .

1708106448627.png1708106460074.png

called the garage who just dont the DSG, they say they just take the box out and back in so it shouldn't be leaking, but to drop it back in for a quick loo.

well , , , , I'm not having that.

a quick call to VW CV ALL-IN and asked for a "silver van guy please" . . . . honestly these guys should be speed-dial #1.

a few hours later.

1708106599667.png

the tech seems to think its coming from the DSG cooler to box join.

those two O rings.

+++++++++++++++++++

we checked the workshop manual and it states to clamp and break the water jacket - and leave the DSG cooler attached to the box,

but we both think the mechanic that done the Flywheel job just unbolted the cooler to make the job easier.

but never replaced the O-rings as they wouldn't have been a supplied part on the job. (as it wasn't supposed to be removed)

1708107007796.png

+++++++++++++++++++

so that's us going to have to go back to the dealer, again, for another oil leak !!!

+++++++++++++++++++

i now have Two transporters on the drive, that have oil leaks, related to other work that they (the dealers) have done. . . .

its doing my nut in.

obviously the Murphy's law is in full effect here.

but come- on. -- really !!!

we got the BUS back. . . . . . Yay.

after 11 days !! - Booooo !

it took them:
3days to think about what they were doing.
2days to get a quote for drop links.
4days to get a quote from the body shop to spray the hinges
2days to do the DMF

6x unanswered phone calls
6x unanswered emails
3x un-replied reception calls.
it was only when we managed to get the service guys mobile number that we got any correspondence.
(so well be finding another different VW CV garage to try next time round - which will be the third !)
( i dont know if its just us and our two vans?, but the customer service is shocking these days from both these VW garages - and the online reviews seem to agree)

the outcome was the Hinges quote (both sides) supplied, painted & fitted were around £800 - so we politely declined. (ill deal with this later)

and the drop links quote - supplied and fitted were around £400 - so we politely declined. (ill deal with this later)

The DMF job has been done - under the all-in warranty. which is great as its around +1k job.

interesting how they show the van in/out in one calendar day.

View attachment 227977

but testing things out with a "cold engine". . . . it sounds buttery smooth and tight.

very happy with the new DMF outcome compared to to rattle box before.

++++

i might try and do a side by side vid clip, detailing the noise?

Hi Lee, I'd be interested to see/hear the vid of your rattle if you still have a copy. I have a very occasional rattle that nobody has been able to diagnose or fix. Its most prominent when cold and goes once the engine has warmed up. Be interested to hear if it sounds similar to yours. Cheers

Sure . . .

DMF rattle on the VAN before it was swapped.. . . . .

"chuck,chuck,chuck,tick tap,chuck . . . . when in Park or neutral. . . will disappear when under load/rev`s, then come back when at rest."

it starts when the engine is cold and will fade away as the engine warms.

its loudest right next to the gearbox bell housing - as thats where it lives.

you start to notice it in summer, when the windows are down and alongside other motors to bounce the sound back.

it will get worse and worse over the 5-10K untill it sounds like a bucket of bolts.

+++

edit: oops wrong link, see here.

1708160527679.png

++++++++++++++++++++

this is the VAN after having the DMF done - for the second time. . . .

1708161737660.png

+++

+++

and this is the BUS after having the DMF replaced the other week

1708161798003.png

+++

Last edited:
What the Absolute Hell is going on. . . . .

Noticed this, that must be coming from the BUS.

View attachment 229896

that's roughly the rear of the engine. . .

I get under and see this . . . wet gearbox at the rear.

View attachment 229897

from the topside, we can see oil around the DSG cooler area. . .

View attachment 229898View attachment 229899

called the garage who just dont the DSG, they say they just take the box out and back in so it shouldn't be leaking, but to drop it back in for a quick loo.

well , , , , I'm not having that.

a quick call to VW CV ALL-IN and asked for a "silver van guy please" . . . . honestly these guys should be speed-dial #1.

a few hours later.

View attachment 229900

the tech seems to think its coming from the DSG cooler to box join.

those two O rings.

+++++++++++++++++++

we checked the workshop manual and it states to clamp and break the water jacket - and leave the DSG cooler attached to the box,

but we both think the mechanic that done the Flywheel job just unbolted the cooler to make the job easier.

but never replaced the O-rings as they wouldn't have been a supplied part on the job. (as it wasn't supposed to be removed)

View attachment 229901

+++++++++++++++++++

so that's us going to have to go back to the dealer, again, for another oil leak !!!

+++++++++++++++++++

i now have Two transporters on the drive, that have oil leaks, related to other work that they (the dealers) have done. . . .

its doing my nut in.

obviously the Murphy's law is in full effect here.

but come- on. -- really !!!

It went back to the garage Monday morning for an impromptu drop off and moan up. . .

"we`ll take a look at it when we can" , "we are very busy and you are not booked in" was the reply - hmm.

1708590952469.png

update:

they called to say they have "cleaned the oil off and left it on the ramp ticking over for 30mins - its not leaking, come get it, its fine, its must have been messy mechanic spilt oil when refilling?." - eh?

i asked - "its a sealed unit, have you checked the oil level? have you road tested it?"

No was the answer.

"ok we`ll check the DSG oil level."

update:

"we drained the oil - only 2.5L come out, Should be 5.5L so there has been a leak."

ok can you fill it up + new filter and test drive it please?

Update:

"we have done a DSG service (oil + filter) and will take it for a test-drive."

update:

"its still leaking oil from the cooler - we`ll replace the cooler O rings for you."

"sorry looks like we messed up and had removed the cooler from the box and pinched the O rings on refitting."

So . . . we on the fourth day now, lets see if we get it back nice and dry.

TBC . . . . . .

It went back to the garage Monday morning for an impromptu drop off and moan up. . .

"we`ll take a look at it when we can" , "we are very busy and you are not booked in" was the reply - hmm.

View attachment 230471

update:

they called to say they have "cleaned the oil off and left it on the ramp ticking over for 30mins - its not leaking, come get it, its fine, its must have been messy mechanic spilt oil when refilling?." - eh?

i asked - "its a sealed unit, have you checked the oil level? have you road tested it?"

No was the answer.

"ok we`ll check the DSG oil level."

update:

"we drained the oil - only 2.5L come out, Should be 5.5L so there has been a leak."

ok can you fill it up + new filter and test drive it please?

Update:

"we have done a DSG service (oil + filter) and will take it for a test-drive."

update:

"its still leaking oil from the cooler - we`ll replace the cooler O rings for you."

"sorry looks like we messed up and had removed the cooler from the box and pinched the O rings on refitting."

So . . . we on the fourth day now, lets see if we get it back nice and dry.

TBC . . . . . .

And how much is the workshop hourly rate? They can't sack or disciple the tech cause they pay them a pittance and tell him to cut corners. But they are the SPECIALISTS not.

Back