Help- Camper electrics tripping out.

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
Hi,
I’m after your thoughts on this.

I’m a total Leccy numpty and so I sought help from a professional auto electrician as my 12v leisure system trips out occasionally. When it does, it is mostly as the ignition is switched on/ off, although it has tripped a few other times when we’ve been parked up for quite a while.

He says that the engine battery isn’t holding a sufficiently high enough voltage and it’s tripping my 12v system which is protecting itself.

So I’ve booked it in with VW for a diagnostics check as it’s still under (extended) warranty.

BTW Roamer say that the Leisure battery stats seem fine, but they are happy to examine the battery in case there is a problem with the BMS.

The Auto Electrician made the following observations..
  • At rest engine battery reads 11.9v -12.2v
  • He says that it should be 13.8-14.2v
  • With everything switched on the battery jumps to only 12.9 and he would expect 14v plus.
  • At tickover after running at load the max is only 13v - he says that’s not good
  • He can’t see it being a bad earth because checks at chassis and battery are ok
  • He suspects a fault / setting issue in the ECU

My Q is…
Do you agree with the Auto Electrician’s assessment, which I have no reason to doubt but
I’m half thinking that VW will try to fob me off and say that everything (VW wise) is ok.

My set up is:-
2018 Crafter Euro 6- professionally converted
(Single VW engine battery)
  • 2x 160w Photonic solar panels
  • 230ah Roamer Lithium leisure battery
  • Votronic VCBS 45/30/350
  • Votronic Jupiter control panel
We rarely ever use hook up, and cope really well with the solar alone.

Looking forward to your thoughts

Thanks

Not sure what you mean by “leisure system trips out” - what happens ?

An engine battery should never sit at 13.8v at rest. More like 12.5v, unless it is being charged.

Lots of other questions from what you quote, but let’s start with the above.

Pete

Not sure what you mean by “leisure system trips out” - what happens ?

An engine battery should never sit at 13.8v at rest. More like 12.5v, unless it is being charged.

Lots of other questions from what you quote, but let’s start with the above.

Pete
Thanks for the reply.

The Votronic control panel clicks off, and with it all the the camper electrics all go off - fans, lighting and pump.

The control panel shows the engine battery voltage, quite often it’s reading 12.2.

Now, after a long drive, it’s been sitting for four hours and the engine battery is now showing 12.5. Is that low or normal?

I wouldn’t say 12.2 or 12.5v is particularly low. I would perhaps expect it to be a little higher, but it’s not catastrophic.

It depends on what load it is supporting when you are stopped. I think there are many unknowns in what you have installed that make me hesitant to advise much more.

Pete

What is the voltage on your leisure battery when the Votronic unit clicks off ?

Pete

Thanks again. It’s been around 14v. Last time I took a screen shot it was 13.54.

IMG_1246.png

I suppose my Q is really .. are VW going to tell me that those figures are usual and within their spec?

I have a 12V outlet to USB adapter in my cabin, which has a led display showing voltage. It’s always around 12.4-12.5volts when the engine is not running. JMTPW

@Oldrat Did you/VW get to the bottom of your troubles?
No, still searching. And it’s a nuisance rather than a trouble. I just need to reboot the 12v system then reset the clocks when it cuts out.
VW booked me for a diagnostics check- 6 week wait !

Meanwhile I understand that the vehicle battery levels are apparently in normal range (often 11.9, 12.2, and 12.6 ?)

So I’ve taken up Roamer’s offer to check my Lithium battery BMS just in case it’s over sensitive.

I must say that I can’t emphasise how good the Roamer customer service experience has been.

Thanks for asking

Hi @Oldrat , just jumped in my van after a day at work, and the screenshot show my battery levels on a newish Bosch starter battery and my beautiful Roamer 200Ah leisure. Personally, I would pop in a new starter battery to see if that cures your problems, if not, take it back for a refund! My pics are from my van being left all alone for 7 hours. You're right about Roamer, a truly caring company to deal with, recommended to all! Best of luck Sir!

Screenshot_20230827_171443.jpg

Screenshot_20230827_171241_Roamer BMS.jpg

Back