Electrics Setup shopping list help

Adam H

T6 Pro
Hi All,

So could do with some help, or more confirmation of what I need if possible.

I've got a Victron MTTP controller and solar setup. but have just ripped out my conversion and starting again, So im keen on keeping everything Victron. ( this is for a VW T6 2019 ). We will be running solar, Mains hook up, Split charge, and an inverter man enough for a small induction hob.

I'm not too knowledgable with electrics, so assume I know nothing to be safe :D

So what I think I need ( or already have ).

150ah Lifepo Battery.
Victron MTTP controller
160W Solar panel - Already on roof and linked up to the MTTP, works well.
Victron Orion TR 12/12 30, Non-isolated DC to DC split charge.
Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 Charger ( i've got mains hook up plug on the side of the van, so i assume i need this )
Victron Energy MultiPlus 12v Inverter Charger 12/1600/70-16 ( this maybe an after thought, we plan on having an induction single hob and removing gas completely, so inverter probably would be required )

Now the above is what i know id need or want to have. But what i dont know about is all the bits in between, cables etc. Do i need consumer units and bus bars and battery monitors and all that jaz, If so, and if you have time, please link to stuff i need :D

Many thanks, any info or advice is most appreciated.

Auto & Marine Electrical Components & Accessories | 12 Volt Planet Is a good place to look for some basic DC electrical knowledge and they sell quality components, not the cheapest but I wouldn’t advise scrimping on cost or chancing it with DC voltage or you could end up with a burnt out van.
I think anybody would be hard pressed to supply you with a shopping list, that’s part of the job, you’ll need to do your research and make sure you get it correct.
If you have a specific question there are some very experienced forum members who can help.

The Victron Inverter/Charger is also a battery charger? So you can scrap the Blue Smart charger if you go this route.

After all that, I've decided to ditch the idea of the victron stuff, mainly due to space restrictions and the victron inverter being absolutely massive. So I've decided to spend a bit more on the Clayton setup.

After all that, I've decided to ditch the idea of the victron stuff, mainly due to space restrictions and the victron inverter being absolutely massive. So I've decided to spend a bit more on the Clayton setup.
I was going to say the Clayton from what I have seen seems to hit all your requirements.
What model are you going for?

I am torn between that or a cheaper portable option. Budget is tight and we regular camp so would be great if we could have a shared use unit. Still hunting.

I was going to say the Clayton from what I have seen seems to hit all your requirements.
What model are you going for?

I am torn between that or a cheaper portable option. Budget is tight and we regular camp so would be great if we could have a shared use unit. Still hunting.

I've gone for the 2500w clayton mate, Which should allow us to use the induction hob and be offgrid for 4 days or so at a guess depending on solar imput and hob usage, I considered the bigger one but realistically we wont be using the induction hob very often as we typically cook on a cadac outside, we only wanted induction so we could have a cuppa on days out or if the little one wanted some pasta.

From what I understand the cheaper variants are no where near as good , the clayton is the only real replacement for the huge selection of renolgy or victron full setup.

Back