Hello and help choosing base van, please

Andygillralpgh

Hi there, just started looking for my first van. Either to convert or buy partially converted.
I've been looking at vans on a 18 plate, is it a down side having the 5 gear version over 6. Any reliability, saleability issues?

Advice on what is good and what is not would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

There's quite a few of us on here with the 'poverty line' 5 speed manuals, and quite a few of us very happy with them! Go for a 150 6 speed if you can stretch, but they are usually more expensive.
I converted mine by changing to a 6 speed gear knob, fuel consumption bizarrely is the same?!!

Have a think about SWB v LWB. There’s a surprising amount of extra space in a LWB and it’s still useable as an everyday driver.
I think the 6 speed manual or 7 spd dsg 150 are the sweet spots without the potential problems (and anxiety) that comes with the 204 biturbo.

Things I would look for are requirements you have that are expensive/impossible to retrofit.

So for me-
LWB
Aircon
4motion
Tailgate

I would probably go 150 rather than 204, and I would avoid a remapped vehicle.

Those are my preferences - everyone will have their own list.

For me the engine and gearbox was not a concern (and ended up with 102bhp 5 gear) but single slider, tailgate, highline, twin captain seats all was.

Single slider because I thought this was important for a side kitchen layout, turns out it’s not so critical and have seen loads of side kitchen vans now with doors that fully open behind the kitchen which looks quite nice.

Tailgate because this seemed the best option for a camper, not sure this really is critical (and is a nightmare to search for on all websites!) but very glad I have one, I think it makes it a lot more of a proper camper and good to hide under in the rain, many would disagree as there are advantages to barn doors though.

Highline because this gives you a free pass for some of the other things that make living with the van easy (ac for example), poverty spec vans can easily fill the requirements you need but you need to be careful when reviewing to ensure the creature comforts you require are available.

Twin captain seats (with oem swivel) because this gives easy access to the back and keeps the missus happy with a comfortable seat (she always complained of being uncomfortable on long journeys in my cars). This is a difficult and expensive conversion as the single passenger seats are a bit like hens teeth so if this is something you want worth looking at in the base vehicle.

Lots of people say LED headlights is an essential too, these are great and the standard are very poor but I didn’t have them on my base van (since upgraded to THQ v3 which are marginally better) but I didn’t see them as a show stopper, and still don’t, after all the van (although is my only vehicle and so technically a daily driver) is not driven daily but many reserved for leisure

Sorry, one last thing. My van was a T28 and with the conversion, 4 people (2 teenagers), 4 bikes, camping gear, food, clothes, beer we were definitely pushing the limit (actually almost certainly over) so have since reclassified it as 3t load. Maybe a T30 or even T32 could be better from the outset to save the expense of up plating (around £300) but maybe not critical because of this possibility

Similar story here. 18 plate 102 manual with new conversion and no mechanical issues. Agree that 2 x single swivel seats is better for rear access, especially if travelling with a dog. Mine also T28 but just changed rear springs to T32 springs so far. Not ideal for good suspension but certainly solved the saggy bottom look. Have bought LED bulbs but not changed yet. Most campers don't do much night driving. Save some funds for audio upgrade if you like your music - well worth it. Have fun!

Come up with a list of what your van absolutely needs to have, and what would be nice to have but not essential.
My only requirement was it have aircon and be a minimum of 102ps.
My nice to have list included tailgate, highline spec, 6 speed or DSG.

My budget was tight so I ended up with a 102 Startline with aircon and tailgate.
I sometimes feel like the 5 speed could do with 1 more gear but it's fine.
If you're happy to do the work yourself I'd go for an untouched van since a lot of part converted ones I've seen are either poor quality or slightly overpriced (IMO).

Don't forget most things can be retrofitted after the fact, within reason.

Back