New Van - General Advice and Existing Leisure Battery Set Up Advice

smashleysquires

Hi guys and gals, new to this forum and new to the VW T6 life, having just bought my first van 2 weeks ago.

I've bought a 2016 T32 7 Speed Auto Tdi 147BHP Bluemotion, fully converted by Just A Van in Marlborough, it's ex RAC. 4 Berth pop top.

As I'm so new to the van game, I know little about it, and would appreciate some advice on the electrical system I have set up, and how to get the most from my leisure battery. I won't be using electrical hook ups that often, preferring a "wild camping" experience. I have a hook up cable I can plug in at home when not in use to keep the battery topped up, but also considering installing solar panels, and perhaps also I might need a trickle charger? Although it is my main vehicle now, so is used almost daily.

I have attached images of the van and the electrics, I don't know what half these things are, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! And any advice on suitable solar panels/installation/companies/brands worth considering.

It also had it's last service in June 2022 (image attached) at 122k miles, it now has 125k miles, should I get it serviced again now?

Thanks all!

PXL_20230706_171148841-01.jpeg

PXL_20230706_171113180.jpg

PXL_20230706_171155423-01.jpeg

PXL_20230706_171321265-01.jpeg

PXL_20230706_171046584-01.jpeg

PXL_20230712_185857227.jpg

PXL_20230712_185849126.jpg

IMG-20230702-WA0008.jpg

Last edited:
Looks very cool!

Orion is a DC-DC charger, means when your engine is running, the alternator charges your second battery.
The other one next to it is a 230V charger, it does the same but from a wall contact.

I just installed a solar panel on mine, for multi day outings I need it to keep my fridge cold, and I can make a bit more light at night... but other than that (quite important to have some cold beer, though) you can do without...

Panel brands... better to have someone from the UK, as there are other brands available than here (Belgium).
You're going to need a MPPT box to get your solar panel connected to your car setup (solar panel gives around 20 volts, your car runs off around 12), as you have all Victron it could be nice to get a Victron for that, too.

Service: not too quick... Cars do way more mileage now than they used to in between oil changes etc... Normally you can see on your dashboard screen when you have to get it serviced next time.

To get most of your leisure battery: if hooked up: no worries, electricity available. if not: try to minimize usage of extra lights etc. if you want to stay out for more than one night without moving... (or go solar, or drive to another spot to get your battery charged again)

Probably other things (or things that others might do different) but that's what I can think of right now.

Grtz

Jan

Back