Not owned a vw camper for 35 years
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
i know i want a DSG gearbox in 150bhp
But does it matter if its a T28,T30 or T32
Would you go SWB or LWB
Things you have to look out for
Cheers
Bull

I would avoid T28 if possible (or budget to get it up-plated to 3 tonnes) but maybe T32 is excessive unless you're not paying extra for it. I've got what I would regard as a NATO standard side kitchen camper conversion and fully loaded for a 4 / 5 week trip away with all the paraphernalia (inc. drive away awning and two bikes on the towbar rack at 60Kg total), ours weighs in at 2640Kg on my local public weigh bridge. Add in two humans at our current weights and we are almost exactly on 2800Kg. In our case, the other 200Kg comes in handy to stock up on a few bottles of wine and other stuff on European trips. As to the old SWB-v-LWB debate, I've not got much choice as I can only fit SWB on my drive with the other car which is probably a good job as it's I have enough trouble reversing it as it is. Personally, I would also avoid Startlines if possible or make sure that it's a Startline with parking sensors and air con. You would also be wise to plan on spending another small fortune on extra stuff once you've bought the actual van.

Add in two humans at our current weights and we are almost exactly on 2800Kg
I've just realised that if Mrs AJ sees this, I might well have a near death experience soon after. I got my sums wrong in my head - with my lardy 78Kg and her svelte 53Kg, we actually have a lot more to spare before getting to 2800Kg - the implication of my previous statement was that she weighed considerably more. On the plus side, it does mean that we've got space for more wine on the way home. Also, it doesn't change the price of fish much when it comes to the T28-v-T30 debate for a camper build.

Also don’t forget that if you get a 4Mo then it’s about 200kg heavier so there’s the difference between variants soaked up straight away.

Mrs Wayne always won the 'how many things can you get in a matchbox' competion when she was a girl guide. Very convenient for loading up our SWB (which we had to have because of drive constraints.) So confident in her abilities was I that we sold our Anssems trailer, to give me more room in the garage for other VW related kit!
Doing the NC500 in a SWB was no problem, the Applecross pass in an LWB would have worried me, coward that I am!

20220726_155520.jpg

20220726_155623 1.jpg

Regarding the t28 Vs t30.

If you see a really good t28, then I don't think it's a massive issue. I have discussed this before, and I think it might be just different springs for the t30 ? And maybe, an arb.

You'll probably change the suspension out anyway as the stock VW product is pretty rubbish.
102 hpT28 SWB camper here, it'll keep up with traffic easily enough and we're tiny so there's a bit of room.

I was told by the engineer that signed off the up-plating of mine (from a firm called SV Tech who are apparently one of the leaders in the field!) that T28s and T30 were mechanically identical but that wheels and/or tyres could sometimes be an issue on the former. In my case, that wasn't a problem as I had fitted a set of delivery mileage Devonports that had been taken from a T32.

And yes, my suspension and ARBs were swapped out (by CRS) after the up-plating but I was assured the van remained within the 3000Kg spec

Back