Coilovers: H&R v Bilstein

Thanks. Will do.

Thank you. I didn’t know KW offered coilovers for the T6.1.
They do several STX and V1 as well as V 3 , these are the popular ones at our store

They do a comfort kit as well but not good value for money as they dont go low at all and the KONI set up is better in all honesty !

Thanks, yes they were what I had on my last van. I was surprised that @YellowHound found them terrible, but now I think he had different as his were not adjustable.
I think what Steve is saying is that the T32 version of the kit is very different due to the inverted front damper design, and hence fixed damping.
My van is a T32.

I think what Steve is saying is that the T32 version of the kit is very different due to the inverted front damper design, and hence fixed damping.
My van is a T32.
As far as I am aware the damper is the same but for the T32 Steve has a bracket fabricated as the hub mount is different. If your front dampers were not adjustable I'm pretty certain they were not this coilover. Hopefully @CRS Performance will confirm or correct me.

My van is a T32.

As far as I am aware the damper is the same but for the T32 Steve has a bracket fabricated as the hub mount is different. If your front dampers were not adjustable I'm pretty certain they were not this coilover. Hopefully @CRS Performance will confirm or correct me.
The T32 specific H&R kit that @YellowHound had fitted is an inverted MonoTube front strut and is a very different kit to the T26/T28/T30 fitment kit.

It’s the T26/28/30 H&R kit that uses the Koni rebound damping adjustability on the front struts. This kit can be fitted to a T32 using an adapter bracket.

Important NOTE here to get this comment in to perspective as its quite misleading !! , The very popular H&R coil over kit is brilliant to drive on , BUT the T32 version of the kit is different, it has upside down MONO tube shocks to cope with the weight carrying capacity of a T32 and achieve T U V approval . Its the strongest shock on the market, its very efficient and highly rated "BUT firm" , This is the kit Yellowhound didnt like , generally you love this kit or hate it . . Its also a full coil over kit NOT a H&R spring kit with Dampers ( that is a different set up altogether ) and We sell 30 to 40 sets a month of this arrangement and results are brilliant . !!!! ,
Interesting. I've got a T32 on order but only for the VAT claim back as I don't need anywhere need the carrying capacity. Just a mountain bike and such stuff in the back. Can I use kits designed for T28/30s to get a better ride. Planning to put it into CRS for the mods anyway (whenever the bleeding van actually arrives). BTW likely going the swamper route so will be standard ride height or possibly raised.

Last edited:
The T32 specific H&R kit that @YellowHound had fitted is an inverted MonoTube front strut and is a very different kit to the T26/T28/T30 fitment kit.

It’s the T26/28/30 H&R kit that uses the Koni rebound damping adjustability on the front struts. This kit can be fitted to a T32 using an adapter bracket.
Thanks for clearing that up. Its stopped me worring about having the H&R/Koni kit fitted.

Interesting. I've got a T32 on order but only for the VAT claim back as I don't need anywhere need the carrying capacity. Just a mountain bike and such stuff in the back. Can I use kits designed for T28/30s to get a better ride. Planning to put it into CRS for the mods anyway (whenever the bleeding van actually arrives). BTW likely going the swamper route so will be standard ride height or possibly raised.
When you are ready give me a shout , better to hear it from the horses mouth i think . the coil over kit definitely isnt the right kit for a swamper look anyway so dont worry about all the confusion above

Thats a surprise, if it was the true coilovers not a spring and shock kit, its the first negative thing I have heard about them.
ride quality / handling characteristics is a personal preference thing. we fitted 3 of these mono tube kits last week and each and everyone of those customers absolutely love them. It is the only kit on the market that is Specifically designed for a T32 and it’s weight capabilities . it uses the Mono tube inverted technology So that the lateral load on the front struts doesnt cause friction on the damper shaft under big load . All other brands just have the T32 bracket on the same shock they use in a T28 Of course .

Others have posted about them.
When I first had them fitted I thought they were an improvement but then I noticed just how the van ride never settled (like it did with the B14s) - it was always on the move.
The handling was great but I realised just how little compliance they had - and just how uncomfortable the ride with them.
It’s not common knowledge that the H and R mono tube T32 coil over kit hasn’t got the damping adjustability , the simple reason is. The shocks in that kit are Bilstein! so I find it odd that they are so different as we know the Bilstein Yellow shocks are stiff due to high pressure gas inside. The only. explanation would be that B14 isn’t an actual Bilstein product and the company who build those kits maybe have a different damping forces.

ride quality / handling characteristics is a personal preference thing. we fitted 3 of these mono tube kits last week and each and everyone of those customers absolutely love them. It is the only kit on the market that is Specifically designed for a T32 and it’s weight capabilities . it uses the Mono tube inverted technology So that the lateral load on the front struts doesnt cause friction on the damper shaft under big load . All other brands just have the T32 bracket on the same shock they use in a T28 Of course .
So are these shocks a bit like upside down forks on a motorbike then?

We actually have one forum member who has Had the. H and R. Mono tube kit fitted then the KW V1. kit and then went to the dual tube Damping adjustable H and R kit fitted with adaptors. ( all in the same van ) His wife drives the van so clearly this was a good move. He did comment that the later kit was the best of the three. .
Viva Koni.
So are these shocks a bit like upside down forks on a motorbike then?
yes exactly. The benefits are lower un sprung weight. ( important on a bike less so on a transporter ) But
the lateral load on the bearing at the top of the shock body is drastically reduced by having a large diameter shaft effectively . The unknown factor in shock design is stickion. A crude term for resistance caused by lateral force on the side of the shock

4B94A3E2-69C0-4D13-B50A-D089E78F564A.jpeg

We actually have one forum member who has Had the. H and R. Mono tube kit fitted then the KW V1. kit and then went to the dual tube Damping adjustable H and R kit fitted with adaptors. ( all in the same van ) His wife drives the van so clearly this was a good move. He did comment that the later kit was the best of the three. .
Viva Koni.

yes exactly. The benefits are lower un sprung weight. ( important on a bike less so on a transporter ) But
the lateral load on the bearing at the top of the shock body is drastically reduced by having a large diameter shaft effectively . The unknown factor in shock design is stickion. A crude term for resistance caused by lateral force on the side of the shock

View attachment 149225
Yes, upside down forks a bit stronger as well. I know about stcktion from setting rebound damping on my track bike.

Back