[Guide] Underside Engine Cover + Fitting Kit -- How I Done It --

Just bought a tray from Inter car parts of Peterborough vie eBay.
The one they sent is way too big, as the front fixing holes are 20cm wider apart. Front to back is also about 20cm too long. They insist the one size fits all. Haggling on how to return as they offered Royal Mail. It was delivered in just black plastic wrapping. No protection, no fixing bolts. Post Office refuse to accept, insist that car parts must be boxed.

What's your van? I bought one of those from the same firm for my T6 and the fit was spot on. IIRC, they were advertised as for T5 but would also fit T6. Good luck finding a box big enough!

Hi Ayjay,
The van is a T5 Shuttlebus Tdi registered June 2016. I tried 3 times, from front to back and back to front and then front again, No Way would it fit. I'm usually fairly good, having rebuilt a TR6 from the chassis up and a Safari Landrover all the panels etc.Coverted 2 VW vans to minibuses for the Scouts. Not to bad with a wrench and socket set. Electrics, are not my thing, same as water. If I can't see it, can't fix it ;).
Ian aka Merryman sunny Norwich ( well it was today)

@Merryman. Sounds like you know a lot more about this stuff than me! The conclusion is you must have got a wrong un.

Reactions: Ozi
Tried a second post office, they advised to take it the Royal Mail Counter round the side. How many knew the Royal Mail is not the Post Office. Tomato, tomatoe.
Obviously it was closed as it was 2.05pm. Back the next morning and took the darn thing straight away, no quibble. So, Royal Mail not Post Office. Just see now if they send the right one, or too embarrassed to admit a mistake, or make a refund. Watch this space.

My van did come with an undertray - one bolt was missing so found a suitable one in the selection (rear brake calliper bolt from pad changing) but it wouldnt go in.

Just done an oil change and one of the five bolts actually in was very tight to get out.

Checked the thread on the bolt with a thread gauge - M8 x 1.25. Cleared all the threads with a tap and coppa slipped the bolts. Now have 6 free turning bolts that hopefully wont come undone!

The tap did clear lots of crud out - I think the threadserts in the subframe are open on the top side so could get water ‘held’ in them causing rust.

Something to check if you have the undertray off!

Ian

I bought one and fitted it myself a couple of years ago. It was easy to fit and fitted perfectly. Makes a big difference and keeps everything clean underneath.

We also have a 2021 T Roc, 2.0 TDI. Same block as the T6. Interestingly the T Roc has a massive factory undertray, but also this thick sound deadening piece on the sump. I've never seen one before. I was only doing an oil change, and it's my wife's car, so I couldn't really take it all to bits to have a look, but the motor is so much quieter than the T6. The sump looks the same shape as the T6, with the drain plug at the back. Next time I'm at TPS, I'll see what the cost is.

20220109_135003_resized.jpg

Does anyone know if you can get or retro fit a guard that sits behind the sump under tray?
I messaged earlier on that I had exhaust and Knock sensor chewed by either a cat or fox to the cost of £900.
I've since had the van on ramps and crawled underneath to have a look, there's a decent size for a cat to crawl up n sit right next to warm exhaust.

just wondering if any one had come up with something and how best to fit.

Cheers

We also have a 2021 T Roc, 2.0 TDI. Same block as the T6. Interestingly the T Roc has a massive factory undertray, but also this thick sound deadening piece on the sump. I've never seen one before. I was only doing an oil change, and it's my wife's car, so I couldn't really take it all to bits to have a look, but the motor is so much quieter than the T6. The sump looks the same shape as the T6, with the drain plug at the back. Next time I'm at TPS, I'll see what the cost is.

View attachment 140991
that looks like the extra bits you can get for the T6.

available in colder countries they offer the sump guard/insulation.

and the same on the back of the lower engine cover.

View attachment 140991

This is the sound deadening on my under belly tray:

1641755437765.png

Is there a definitive answer as to why some vans have undertrays, and most don't? It seems completely random, and there doesn't seem to be any way of predicting them.
My 2009 2.5 T5 did, my 2021 T6.1 Highline doesn't. But I've seen loads of 2.5's without trays, and the belt protection argument falls flat with the 2.5, as there aren't any!
I thought the main reason for introducing under trays is to smooth the airflow to gain fuel economy?

Is there a definitive answer as to why some vans have undertrays, and most don't? It seems completely random, and there doesn't seem to be any way of predicting them.
My 2009 2.5 T5 did, my 2021 T6.1 Highline doesn't. But I've seen loads of 2.5's without trays, and the belt protection argument falls flat with the 2.5, as there aren't any!
I thought the main reason for introducing under trays is to smooth the airflow to gain fuel economy?
Cost cutting probably, will not be surprised that one day you will need to select a bog standard wheels as an optional extra.......

I was sure my 16 T6 came with the engine undercover. My dealer said not only Caravelles do
The cover I got from flea bay is good and still on there after 3 years. Easy to fit as well.

I have just bought a pv 2017 without an under tray and was considering buying this one instead of a plastic one..... any thoughts guys ?

Why? Unless you are planning to go off road?

It looks bulky and heavy, so agro to attach.

And looks like there is a massive big hole in it. Which will let dirt, water, and cack into your engine bay.

And not sure the garage or your mechanic will appreciate having to take it on and off.

I've had mine on since 2018 and it's still perfect and the lower engine bay is immaculate appart from some fine dust.

It's never been ripped off or damaged...... But then I don't drive through puddles like a jetski.

So I'd say stick with the plastic one, then spend the be remaining cash on other T6 goodies.

If you do go for a steel one, post some pics etc on here so we can see it in action.

@RichP. You would probably get more protection but I can't help wondering how much that would weigh in comparison to the plastic version - it might be only 2mm thick but........
I also wonder how much bitching you would get from the mechanics at service time.
PS. Posted the above and then saw the contribution from @Dellmassive!

Last edited:
Back