[Guide] Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

Hi @Dellmassive, thanks for kicking off his brilliant thread with loads of great insights. It’s convinced me I need to go down the portable solar route and the 100W area seems to be the sweet spot for price, size and yield. However, I’m pretty much torn between the Lensun ultralight folding 100W panels and the Bluefusion 120W kit. I’ve already got an MPPT controller so we can discount the pros and cons of the bundled units, so how would you compare the relative quality of the two panels and fabrics? Does the Bluefusion panels have a similar non-reflective bobbly surface to the Lensun? Do you think the additional 20W of the Bluefusion is likely to deliver noticeable real world benefit?

On a more interesting note, you’re next test should explore combining multiple portable panels sets in series to see wether you get a substantially better yield. According to the Victron manual, the larger difference between VOC and Vbatt should result in significantly improved performance in lower light and partial array shading situations.

Hi Everyone. I’m new to this forum and also to Solar setups. I’ve read this thread and found it very helpful. So I decided to buy a Lensun 200Watt mobile fold out setup with an eepever MPPT controller.

My concern is though that the system is not operating as well as it should. However as I have no experience of solar, I don’t know if I’m expecting too much! So the max Power I’ve had going into the battery from the controller, is about 55watts. That was with the fridge on freeze and turned on from warm. I also had a 40 watt glue gun plugged in to provide more load.

I’ve measured the open circuit voltage at 22.3v and the short circuit current at about 6.2A. The panel is meant to be 200Watt but I realise they are not as effective as they would be in optimum conditions. My question is doyou think the panel is ok? And also could it be the solar controller which is under performing? Or is it fine and I’m just hoping for too much?

Thanks in advance for any assistance or thoughts.

If you're getting 22v from the panel open circuit that is a good start. Have you measured the current coming from the panel to the controller? If that looks good, do the same from the controller to the battery. If you can post the results here there are several folk who can advise if what you get is good or otherwise.

You've mentioned you're getting 55W just now, how are you determining that?
do you know what the spec of the controller is? what current rating is it?

How sunny was it, and was the panel pointing face on to the sun ?

Pete

It was bright clear sunshine at about 11am today. The panel was directly facing the sun. I established that it was putting 55 watts into the battery purely by reading the data off the app that pairs with the system. As I mentioned I measured the short circuit current in full sun and that was about 6.2A, so from that with the OC voltage being around 22v, I would think in the current conditions it should have been capable of producing 130 -140watts. But the controller would only put out about 55Watts. I might be looking at this way too simplistic, but if I would benefit from a better solar controller, I’m happy to invest in one. Just not sure if the controller is a issue or I’m expecting too much, or I just don’t understand!
Thanks again for any help.

Hi @Boardmonkey ... a lesson that I learnt was if the battery is almost fully charged the MPPT controller will slow the charge rate down and may only show a low watt/ amp reading ..once the battery has run down to a point that allows the controller to open the flood gates and except a higher input charge ( so you see greater watt/ amp reading)
as mentioned above the angle of the panel will effect the power you get out of it ..plus fitting a battery monitor will help you see what’s
going on ...Don’t forget what ever the panel says it will achieve is based on ideal environments

As above, if the battery is approaching full charge, then the controller will start to wind down the power it applies.
You could try again with a partially depleted battery, and a decent continuous load.

Pete

As I mentioned I measured the short circuit current in full sun and that was about 6.2A, so from that with the OC voltage being around 22v, I would think in the current conditions it should have been capable of producing 130 -140watts.
Unfortunately can't get max current and max voltage at same time. At short circuit voltage = 0, thus power = 0. At max voltage (open circuit) the current = 0, thus again power = 0.
The (MPPT) controller is there to "optimize/maximize" power output.
1595274005320.png

Thank you everyone who’s shared their knowledge. From the responses, I think my system is probably working correctly. We are about to go away in the van for 2 weeks so this will be a good test. Hopefully it keeps up with our fridge, otherwise it’ll be warm beer!
Thanks again for the help.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

edit:

after T6F Summer camp 2020, I've decided to add DOKIO kit to the recommended list, (as a cheap and cheerful kit) (Black Betty had a temp 200w on the poptop)

They come as basic kits with PWM controllers that has a small LCD screen, they are foldable kits with corner loops making it easy to deploy. They have crock clips for the battery (that can be cut off hand hard wired and XC or SAE inter conects . . . Rich was very happy with the performance and it appeard to be good value for money.
////////////////////////////

Here's a 150w example

View attachment 78864
/////////////////////////////

Here's a 100w example

View attachment 78865
/////////////////////////////

here's a 200W example
View attachment 78862
///////////////////////////////////////////

here's a 300W kit example . . .
View attachment 78863

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
I’ve read this thread with interest. We have a t5.1 and it has a semi manual relay for the split charge (the relay is only open to the leisure battery when the engine is running). I’m not too worried about my starter battery. However I have a leisure battery which I do care about it powers led lights and a cfx fridge and some usb charging in the autumn/early spring it powers the diesel heater.
my questions if that’s ok.
I will use some Anderson connections straight onto the battery as that’s nice and simple but I notice @Dellmassive reports on his battery conditions using some kind of Bluetooth module in place. What is this Witchcraft???
could that be used to “spur” in a connection to the solar panels. Is that a separate thing to the solar panel charge controller? I note you talk of the Victron 75 1 15 as the bees knees. So I’ll probably swap whatever the panel comes with for one of those. They say they have Bluetooth in them, is that where the better monitoring comes from?
Thank you and sorry if you are repeating yourself.
Love the stuff you all put up. Thank you.
take a look here:

Battery Monitoring -- How I Done It --

and here:

With the folding panels, you cant use in the rain? Is that due to the material holding the panels together rather than the actual solar panels them selves ?
The folding ones are rain proof . . . . but not water proof . . .

ie - i leave them out in the rain, or dew in morning . . . as long is the sun is out soon to dry it off soon after.

i wouldn't leave them outside all year round and wound not submerge in water . .

the flexible ones are much tougher and 100% waterproof so can be left outside all year round (or stuck to roof)

Last edited:
Hi Guys . .

sorry i dont know what happened with this thread but the monitoring for it stopped letting me know about updates . . . so havenr seen any of the questions . . .

ill update now . .

happy Solar Catching guys . . .

Edging towards the renogy 175w flex panel. Any thoughts @Dellmassive before I pull the plug, Solar Guru ?
yep Renogy is quality kit . .

i have one of those panels on the shed roof . . .

see here:

Hi @Dellmassive, thanks for kicking off his brilliant thread with loads of great insights. It’s convinced me I need to go down the portable solar route and the 100W area seems to be the sweet spot for price, size and yield. However, I’m pretty much torn between the Lensun ultralight folding 100W panels and the Bluefusion 120W kit. I’ve already got an MPPT controller so we can discount the pros and cons of the bundled units, so how would you compare the relative quality of the two panels and fabrics? Does the Bluefusion panels have a similar non-reflective bobbly surface to the Lensun? Do you think the additional 20W of the Bluefusion is likely to deliver noticeable real world benefit?

On a more interesting note, you’re next test should explore combining multiple portable panels sets in series to see wether you get a substantially better yield. According to the Victron manual, the larger difference between VOC and Vbatt should result in significantly improved performance in lower light and partial array shading situations.

The Lensun is a better quality build and has better "cells" internally. Most now have the matt finish to help yield . . .

having said that the BlueFusionhas a better build quality than the ACOPOWER - But both are very good.

Lensun quote the full specs . .

1595579219094.png

Bluefusion just say they use "solarWorld Cells" from Germany.

1595579282264.png

100W is a nice size panel, you normally get around 6A (ISC)

------------

Regarding series linking of non similar panels . . .

I have done this myself, but snot documanted it on here.

there are pros and cons . . .

i have 3x150w panels series linked on the shed build (450W @ 75V VOC on a victron 100/20):

what i found was that there theory dosent always work out . .

due to the differences in VOC and ISC from panel to panel you get a net effect of "down rating" to the weakest link . .

series linking and a higher VOC is the most efficient, you can use thinner cables etc longer runs . . . but you need a better controller . . . etc etc. Shading is a real problem though as ANY SLIGHT SHADE will bring down the whole pannel array to its knees.

on the other had you have Parallel combining . . . which i done at T6F summer camp 2020.

here i combined a 200W Lensun fold out, with 2x 110W (420w total) Lensun flexables . . . all together with some 4way MC4 branch connectors . . . then run one MC4 cable back to the Victron 100/20.

single panel shading doesnt effect the whole array . . just one panel . .

1595579909224.png

branch connector 1-4 . . . Eidoct 1 Pair Solar Energy Panel MC4 T Branch Connectors Cable Coupler Combiner - 1 Male to 4 Female(M/4F) and 1 Female to 4 Male(F/4M): Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors
branch connector 1-3 . . . ANFIL T-type MC4 Branch Cable Connectors Coupler Combiner Solar Panel - 1 Male to 3 Female (M/3F) and 1 Female to 3 Male (F/3M): Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science
branch connector 1-2 . . . MC4 Solar Panel Branch Connector, Multi-Branch Optional - Male Female Solar Energy Panel MC4 T Branch Connectors Cable Coupler Combiner for solar panels,Photovoltaic Systems (M/2F, F/2M): Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

1595579936439.png

running this lot:

1595580128161.png

i also had the Bluefusion 120w charinging the Leisure battery on the van , . . . ( via dash socket)

1595580168812.png

via a Renogy voyager 20A PWM controller - which is awseome BTW . .

1595580293479.png

we also had the BlueFusion 50W on the dash inside running the starter battery via dash socket

1595580356380.png

120W BF . . . The Renogy is IPx rain proof . . .

1595580401796.png

Last edited:
Basics:

its assumed that ALL panels are same make/model/size.

different makes/models/sizes will effect results

Series combining of solar panels:

you add up all the VOC voltages on the string . . . But the ISC current will stay the same as ONE panel

1595580781118.png

Parallel combining of solar panels:

You add up all the ISC currents, but the Volatge VOC stays the same as ONE panel.

1595580916802.png
1595581176400.png

1595581084328.png

BUT LOOK WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU USE DIS-SIMILAR PANELS . . . (IE DOWN RATING)

EG:

1595580870962.png

you can also series/perrallel panels together like this:

to achive a certain VOC or ISC . . .

1595581136533.png

Heres a Victron slide:

1595581052773.png

yes, if its 12v battery and the VOC is within the range of the controller.
Max. PV Input Voltage: 26V
Open circuit voltage: 23.9V

I've just ordered a 100w Lensun panel and Sikaflex EBT black, to go on the aluminium mounting plate I bought from another member. The cheap 100w panel I've had for 2 years seems to have dropped in power quite a bit this summer so time to replace and make the install permanent.

What I need now is a convenient mc4 release tool...

Back