Grinding Noise From Rear Brakes

Purdster

so what do you think about these. Over the last week or so I’ve noticed a grinding noise from the rear brakes (over the music)

Car has done 16000 miles over 2 years - used at weekends for the first 18 months and now used most days for a 40 mile commute on the motorway

Front brakes look fine but these look terrible

upload_2019-7-1_19-40-15.jpeg

upload_2019-7-1_19-41-16.jpeg

I don’t like this - they work fine but it’s not a noise a car should make when braking

Worth a chat with the dealer?

Cheers

Hard to tell, but looks like there's pretty much nowt left on that pad mate.
It'a well reported in here, that the quality of VW rear discs are questionable.

Either way, i'd be changing the rear discs and pads asap.

Pointless chatting to the dealer, they won't replace them under warranty, regardless of the mileage at 2 years old. I'd find a good local garage and have them do the work, or do it yourself, it's not too difficult if you have the right kit.

Thanks bur it’s both rear discs - picture of each

That said the roads near us have been top dressed recently so could be

Hard to tell, but looks like there's pretty much nowt left on that pad mate.
It'a well reported in here, that the quality of VW rear discs are questionable.

Either way, i'd be changing the rear discs and pads asap.

Pointless chatting to the dealer, they won't replace them under warranty, regardless of the mileage at 2 years old. I'd find a good local garage and have them do the work, or do it yourself, it's not too difficult if you have the right kit.
Thanks for the response

New brakes being fitted as I type. Apparently it’s entirely normal for a 4wd caravelle to wear its rear brakes far more quickly than the front and only last 16000 miles.....

I think at this rate I’d better get a season ticket for brake changes

Thought so . . . . . see if you can get a couple of pics of the old Disks and pads before they bin them . . . . . Lets see how bad they are . . . . . my thinking its "metal-a-la-metal"

One of those photos looks like you have oil/grease leaking between the wheel and the hub. If you've put something in there so they don't seize on then great, otherwise you need to find out what is leaking.

so what do you think about these. Over the last week or so I’ve noticed a grinding noise from the rear brakes (over the music)

Car has done 16000 miles over 2 years - used at weekends for the first 18 months and now used most days for a 40 mile commute on the motorway

View attachment 46424

View attachment 46425

I don’t like this - they work fine but it’s not a noise a car should make when braking

Cheers
Do you have a 4motion?
The reason I ask is, at a VW meet last year I noticed that all the 4motion vans had rear discs that looked the same as yours and mine.

Got mine changed at service but would do them myself once I saw how easy they are to replace.

Yup the same as mine..

I was discussing this with my VW Assist chap this morning, he mentioned 2 interesting bits of info.

1. if you want to surface clean the rear disks, put the windscreen wipers on, as this causes the ABS unit to think you are driving in the rain and sends more pressure to the rears
2. the way you interact with the handbrake and foot brake can cause the self-adjusters to ratchet in the inside pads and then dust buildup stops the calliper floating and cause what you have seen.

The fix for 2. is to drop the handbrake and drive off, if you first put your foot on the foot brake hard and then drop the hand brake the self-adjuster might ratchet up one notch.

View attachment 46424

View attachment 46425

Cheers
The first 18 months killed your discs not the pads, they are badly corroded and have never cleaned up properly.

OEM brake pads are very soft these days, once the discs get past a certain point its game over unless you change the pads for something more aggressive or get the discs skimmed :(

Yup the same as mine..

I was discussing this with my VW Assist chap this morning, he mentioned 2 interesting bits of info.

1. if you want to surface clean the rear disks, put the windscreen wipers on, as this causes the ABS unit to think you are driving in the rain and sends more pressure to the rears
2. the way you interact with the handbrake and foot brake can cause the self-adjusters to ratchet in the inside pads and then dust buildup stops the calliper floating and cause what you have seen.

The fix for 2. is to drop the handbrake and drive off, if you first put your foot on the foot brake hard and then drop the hand brake the self-adjuster might ratchet up one notch.
Driving round with some weight in the back every now and then would probably be a good idea, I'd assume more carevelles are run lightly loaded most of the time. Get a few bags of sand in there one a month :D

Driving round with some weight in the back every now and then would probably be a good idea, I'd assume more carevelles are run lightly loaded most of the time. Get a few bags of sand in there one a month :D
Mine is a California fully load and weight 2.4 tonnes so that hasn't made any difference, buying better quality disk and pads if what I have done now.

Mine is a California fully load and weight 2.4 tonnes so that hasn't made any difference, buying better quality disk and pads if what I have done now.
Interesting, rear discs still don't clean up running heavy? Sounds like the the brake bias valve / sensor (no idea what it is on these) isn't working properly?

Mine runs consistently heavy, and that picture above is exactly how my VW rear brakes looked like after 18 months use. I changed mine for a Pagid set, which I should't really consider better quality than genuine, yet they still look like new, with no corrosion to date.

Back