Gps Antenna

bmw222000

I've just purchased a mib2 unlocked unit to replace my standard t6 radio, now I've had to buy a gps antenna to go with the unit but my question is where is the best place to put it?

Try a temp fitting to test before sticking it down.

Its supposed to have a clear view of the sky and be placed horizontally and normally with the cable facing front or rear wards.

Most navs will self calibrate after a cold start, but mat take a few hours driving to lock on properly.

I've previously fitted 3rd party GPS antennas.....

Ontop of the dash anywhere along the line by the windscreen.

Top of the windscreen above the rearview mirror, the black bit should allow more signal through.

Behind the dash sitting ontop of the glovebox or ontop of the radio, so under the plastic, but right at the top..... this is a nice hidden solution, but anything placed ontop of the dash will block the signal.

Above the headlining or anywhere behind sheet metal will not work.

Some tracker firms even fit them behind the front bumper plastic....

So its trial and error and depends on the quality and sensitivity of the navi/antenna as well as GPS signal strength in your area.

Just start off with it sitting ontop of the dash either centre or side. (Below the old tax disc position)

@Absolut5
@travelvolts

Anything to add guys or further advice? (Trade members)

Most navs will self calibrate after a cold start, but mat take a few hours driving to lock on properly.
My experiences have been that the lock on is significantly delayed if GPS is moving. Was especially notable at "cold start" - I think this makes sense as the GPS is trying solve four dimensional equation and the solution (location) has been changed while trying to solve the location :rolleyes:.

Thank you for that I've got a highline so it could be possible? I will have a look for some info to get the door pad off

Yeah fairly -

remove the switches:
get your trim-tool / butter knife in from the front-end and they’ll pop out,
turn the two black plastic bolts 90° to release the bottom,
then tug the door card from the bottom towards the top.

A quick search shows a video on this thread:
Front door card removal

I done it today mate fed the cable through only to find out I out the bloody wrong one in I thought it was a fakra male to female! So I've had to order a small female to female

I know this is an old thread - but I was referring to it when I did my stereo install - so I just wanted to note here that I didn't have much luck with the car GPS antenna. I used a 3m F-F fakra extension to get the factory GPS antenna to the head unit - but it wasn't particularly reliable. Sometimes it would just say 'Connect the GPS antenna to use wireless CarPlay'. So I ended up fitting the one that came with the head unit. There's quite an easy place to put it which is level - and that is stuck to the underside of the dash tray, on the opposite side to the 12v socket. It sits back and just up enough that the vent trim went back on with no problems, and it's obviously a *really* easy cable run from there to the H/U.

So just posting this in case this is useful for the next person doing a T6 stereo install.

I know this is an old thread - but I was referring to it when I did my stereo install - so I just wanted to note here that I didn't have much luck with the car GPS antenna. I used a 3m F-F fakra extension to get the factory GPS antenna to the head unit - but it wasn't particularly reliable. Sometimes it would just say 'Connect the GPS antenna to use wireless CarPlay'. So I ended up fitting the one that came with the head unit. There's quite an easy place to put it which is level - and that is stuck to the underside of the dash tray, on the opposite side to the 12v socket. It sits back and just up enough that the vent trim went back on with no problems, and it's obviously a *really* easy cable run from there to the H/U.

So just posting this in case this is useful for the next person doing a T6 stereo install.
Just for info, after searching for GPS placement I found this thread and placed it as suggested here, above the headunit and opp side to the 12v charger and it works a charm :)

Back