Front door card removal

Scruffy

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Right, so I've fitted a dash cam and successfully pulled things apart and put them back together again so..... Now I'm fancying taking the door cards off and fitting some new speakers and applying a touch of Silent coat or similar. Any tips please.

Would you recommend applying the sound deadening to both the door skin and for card?

Need to take mine off at some point for the same reason but not braved it as yet.

If you've taken door cards off anything before you shoud be alright. The panel clips are a VW special. They sort of stretch rather than snap (although they will snap!) I'd recommend buying a few before you start. There are plenty of sellers on eBay etc. I think they're about 20p each. While you're at it get some trim pry tools.

I applied SilentCoat to the outer skin, inner skin and door card. Made a great difference. The outer skin is a bit of a job and I'm not sure necessary (the window glass and mechanism get in the way).

There's a great deal of info on another forum. Search for "Front Speaker Replacement, with Pics"

I dismantled the rear of the van and tool all the rear heater trim out but never removed door cards on anything before, hence the apprehension.

image.jpeg
To get to the inner door panel I removed the window mechanism but it's a bit of a ball ache.
I would recomend removing the speaker and collar and you should be able to fit enough sheets of sound deadening to make a good differance , try to put a foam diffuser sheet behind the speaker on the outer skin .
The door kit from silent coat should be ok but you'll need to order about an extra 4-6 sheets per door depending on how far you want to go. If replacing the speakers definantly use MDF speaker collars , the plastic ones resonate and will affect speaker performance .

image.jpeg

Hi

Trying to remove my front door card, and have got the bottom half free, so it is opening away from the bottom but not sure how to release the top section (the black bit with window controls). Do I pull outward (toward interior of car) with force, use trim tool to pop something, or upward?

Thanks

I remove the switch panel first and unplug before removing door card saves faffing around trying to disconnect when the door card is flapping around
Just lift the front edge of the switch surround and the whole lot lifts out

That helps a lot, as my left side window controls arent working, so think they are loose from the speaker install, so that would be easier.

Cheers

Hi Pauly thanks for replying, I’m changing the wing mirror stem as it broke, I’ve removed 2 screws from the door handle inside, can you please advise how door card is removed ?

Hi Guys,
I am trying to remove my door trim to install my new speakers etc. I am struggling to remove the door opener mechanism without damaging it. What piece needs to be removed so I can completely remove the door card.

20200204_113512.jpg

How does it pull out. I've tried quite a few time without success. I am worried about damaging it. I have sprung the clip highlighted yellow, but I was unable to release the cable mechanism.

Back