Sat Nav GPS stopped working

smudger28

Hi guys

T6 Transporter 18 plate.
Hoping someone can help? I’ve been using Apple Maps via my Infoentertainment through Apps and it’s been working fine until yesterday.

Basically the map comes on the screen but the pointer does not move. I tried the infoentertainment Sat Nav and that’s the same so I’m assuming I’ve got a technical problem with my aerial etc?

I’ve restored factory settings on both my phone and head unit but nothing works. The phone map works fine when unplugged.

I’ve reset the head unit via the on/off button.

I’m out of ideas.

Cheers

Maybe have a look at

Consider that Apple Maps through CarPlay might use your phone’s GPS antenna. Does it work when disconnected from the car? If not, check ‘Location Services’ are switched on in all places necessary for Apple Maps.

Thanks guys I will have a look. It works on the phone when unplugged so I’d say it’s the van. It’s intermittent though. Sometimes it jumps back to life. I reckon it’s an aerial issue.

Reactions: CJW
See this too:
Hi again all
In need of help please
As previously posted I had my offside (driver's) mirror smashed totally
Now repaired by other guys Insurance but my sat nav is trying to tell me that I am in Ireland not Stoke
DAB is also worse than usual and drops out when I change direction
Took it back to VW who repaired it
They insist that DAB and GPS antennas are both in the nearside (passenger) mirror as they are in the opposite side to German spec
Is this correct as all of the information that I can find says drivers door

My T6 does this occasionally BUT I suspect its down to the van too.

Ok so I had another fault which I thought was unrelated. I had an ABS sensor fault on the front left which I’ve had fixed today. Funnily enough the GPS is now working. Having read through the threads you guys posted this was mentioned that the sensor picks up the fact that the van is actually moving.

Thanks for all the help.

It's used to estimate location say in tunnels - both the built in and ant Android Auto / Car Play software just get's fed a best estimate of location not raw GPS.

One of those makes sense afterwards but not before issues. Personally I would think valid GPS should override wheel position in this case, but then an ABS fault is something that would fail an MOT so it's not unreasonable to expect that to be working at all times?

I have just had a strange GPS related fault on my VW (Discover Media) sat nav. It showed the van flying along at various heights between 20 and 40 thousand feet, around 20 miles from where we thought we were on Mother Earth. Quite bizarre.

After trying a different navigation card, a partial system reset and a soft restart, nothing would clear it. Eventually I pulled out the 30A Infotainment fuse, checked the system was off, then replaced the fuse. Fortunately this hard restart brought us back to ground at home. So if all else fails, try a full Infotainment reboot!

Back