Kenwood DMX8020 wireless CarPlay GPS accuracy

thesheep

Our OEM head unit gave up at the start of the year and we had it replaced with a Kenwood DMX8020 as recommended on the forum.

Mostly the head unit is great however the GPS accuracy is terrible when using CarPlay wirelessly. We originally thought it needed some time to sort itself out however it hasn’t improved. It’s barely usable as a sat nav, it flicks to thinking it’s somewhere else and gives totally wrong directions. When the phone’s plugged in before the head unit turns on, CarPlay GPS works fine.

The fitter reckons it’s apples fault and said to wait on fixes in future firmware updates.

These units seem common, has anyone else had similar issues? If it’s an Apple firmware issue I’d assume at least a few other users have the same experience.

Better still if anyone has any potential solutions that would be great. I’ve heard on other forums, that an iPhone connected via cable to a CarPlay head unit uses the phone GPS receiver. When it’s connected wirelessly it uses the head unit GPS receiver.

ok..

this issue has just appeared in the past couple weeks, it’s just not the 8020, and the 8021 but also started to happen on certain Alpines headunits, BMW, audi and fords. Possibly others. It has to be a recent iOS update

we have found if you disconnect the GPS sensor and use wired CarPlay it works fine, as soon as you plug the gps back in , it drifts

im sure a patch from iOS or manufactures will be along soon

Is this just on Car Play please? I ask as although I've not used it for a while, Android Auto is (was?) going to be my main guide in Europe for the next 4 weeks or so.

we haven’t personally seen this issue on android as most of our customers have apple, but yes it appears they have had issues in the past, again mostly with units using external gps aerials

Is this just on Car Play please? I ask as although I've not used it for a while, Android Auto is (was?) going to be my main guide in Europe for the next 4 weeks or so.
If it helps I'm pretty sure the GPS antenna is only for Car Play - from reading manuals, android auto just uses your phone's GPS. I've been using Android Auto wirelessly without the GPS antenna plugged in with no issues. I'm now tossing up if I should even install the GPS antenna - it'd literally just be for clock sync... The car already has an OEM GPS antenna and one attached to my router... 3 just seems overkill!

@Unclebob. Cheers for that. @Absolut5 installed the GPS antenna in mine when the unit was fitted but I only use Android. That said, we've just driven 1500 odd miles from Gloucestershire down to the Costa Blanca via the tunnel using only Google Maps with Android Auto and it didn't put a foot (or wheel) wrong the whole way so I'm no longer worried about it!

Just had a 8021 fitted, and the exact same issue satnav is unusable! iPhone with the latest iOS. Why the hell can’t you select to just use the phone GPS, the GPS on a phone is always going to be better than a stereo.

Just had a 8021 fitted, and the exact same issue satnav is unusable! iPhone with the latest iOS. Why the hell can’t you select to just use the phone GPS, the GPS on a phone is always going to be better than a stereo.
I’ve had/got this exact issue on the same unit. I use my Nav to locate addresses for work multiple times a day & it’s a proven to be a nightmare. Dangerous even, as I’m more fixated on the Nav & what’s happening with that than i am on the road in front of me. Not sure what the ultimate answer is for a permanent fix, but nonetheless…

A workaround that I’ve found pretty handy =

Unplug the GPS cable from the back of the head unit. Leave it loose & Reinstall the unit. When you get in the vehicle, plug your iPhone in via the usb cable & load up CarPlay, enter your destination etc. I’ve found that I can then unplug my iPhone from the usb & it retains the wireless connection. I can also change the destination without having to plug back in. It basically works exactly as it should wirelessly - All without any drifting whatsoever. Don’t ask me how that is. No idea. Give it go & see if it works :thumbsup:

Not a total fix but pretty damn close.

Update Kenwood media player in VW T6

- Apple CarPlay GPS wrong location issue

Kenwood instructed me to re locate Kenwood GPS antenna on top of the dashboard near windscreen on passenger side. (Current location was on top of unit, under the dashboard)

This has worked and my CarPlay navigation is now working correctly.

It seems the issue was the GPS antenna was losing accuracy due to poor signal. Kenwood also believe it was made worse by T6 heated windscreen.

Also have to credit @Abolut5 for the same advise.

Update Kenwood media player in VW T6

- Apple CarPlay GPS wrong location issue

Kenwood instructed me to re locate Kenwood GPS antenna on top of the dashboard near windscreen on passenger side. (Current location was on top of unit, under the dashboard)

This has worked and my CarPlay navigation is now working correctly.

It seems the issue was the GPS antenna was losing accuracy due to poor signal. Kenwood also believe it was made worse by T6 heated windscreen.

Also have to credit @Abolut5 for the same advise.
Happy days mate! How have you got it top side of the dash & secured it? I just googled the antenna & they do an actual windscreen mount for it apparently

I haven't yet, only had it fitted today! Took it back three times then gave up and came home. The guy tried his android and it seems to work. So not sure if it’s an apple issue.

I did also get an error about speed detection not connected by usb — which appeared once then disappeared.

You got a link to the mount incase I need it please?

I haven't yet, only had it fitted today! Took it back three times then gave up and came home.
Ahh sorry mate I didn’t realise the above was copied & pasted from the Apple Discussion. I did think that was a quick resolution to your initial post lol

What I was looking at was actually a DAB antenna windscreen mount. Not GPS. There is one available though but it’s a bit of a clunky bit of kit. I’ll persevere with my workaround until I get annoyed enough with the thing to sell it for something else I think.

Back