Glow plug light flashes and other light suggesting fault in exhaust system according to Owner's manual

Jim Rey

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have the glow plug light flashing and the other symbol which I think is the exhaust system indicator according to the manual. See below image. The glow plug flashing light turns on after approximately 1 minute. Van starts no problem and runs OK seemingly. Any advice or pointers. Van was serviced by a VW indie 14/09/22 who didn't change the air filter as he said I had only done a low mileage

I used Carista OBCD and get these errors.....
Error P2006 Intake Runner Control Stuck Closed Bank 1
and
Error 16399 Carista tells me to click for info on that one.

I don't have a VCDS

I also get an intermittent Start/Stop Error flashing up
I definitely hear a slight change in the engine tone at the point the glow plug light starts flashing

Seems still to run OK (i.e not going into limp mode).

Any help appreciated
P.s. is it safe to run it without causing engine damage?

fault lights IMG_1873.jpg

Last edited:
Could the fact that they didn't change the air filter cause that issue Loz? . Just about to go look at it.

Could the fact that they didn't change the air filter cause that issue Loz? . Just about to go look at it.
no, its more likely one of these issues;
1. Gummed up with crap
2. Actuator broke (can be the plastic arm)
3. split in the vacuum hose to the actuator
4. Vacuum solenoid.
5. wiring damage to solenoid

Last edited:
Thanks Loz.
Could you tell me where actuator is and associated hoses.
Also, where the vacuum solenoid is?
sorry I'm not very experienced.

UPDATE>>> Disconnected air filter sensor and removed air filter and gave it a good shake. A bit dusty but not too bad. Blew out cowling at the air filter sensor. Put it back together. Started engine from cold and let it come up to temp 90c on oil temp gauge. Took it for a fast spin along the road for a few miles and lights are gone. Maybe a bit of crud in air filter sensor Y/N or am I being naive? :) Going to order a new air filter.

Your expertise, as always, is much appreciated. Fingers crossed it doesn't come back.

Have got the same thing, currently in the garage due to foxes chewing through cables underneath and the oil level sensor
Hope you get it fixed and it doesn't cost you too much.
Just removed and cleaned air filter and air filter sensor on mine and the fau;t has cleared...hopefully for good! Maybe too good to be true as sometimes these things are intermittant

Error 16399
Could be a random fault with the camshaft position sensor, carista can be a bit vague.. If the fault clears and the vehicle runs fine, just ignore it until it comes back again.

Error 16399
Could be a random fault with the camshaft position sensor, carista can be a bit vague.. If the fault clears and the vehicle runs fine, just ignore it until it comes back again.
Thanks for your help LOZ

and
They are the same one - P2006 is generic OBD-code, 16399 is VW equivalent..

16399 = P2006 - Intake Manifold Flap; Bank 1 - Stuck Closed

E.g. in the VCDS scan here

They are the same one - P2006 is generic OBD-code, 16399 is VW equivalent..

16399 = P2006 - Intake Manifold Flap; Bank 1 - Stuck Closed

E.g. in the VCDS scan here
Thank you for that information. I removed the air filter, cleaned it and blew out the air filter sensor. I then re-started the van and let it come up to temperature then took it for a drive for about 3 miles. The glow plug light and the exhaust fault light has now gone off. Would you anticipate the error returning?

Reactions: mmi
When you turn on the ignition, the manifold flap is cycled. If it sticks you get the fault. If it doesn’t the next time, it clears.
But it might happen again.

Could it be the Volkswagen indie garage didn't use correct oil when they serviced it 2 months ago?

no, its more likely one of these issues;
1. Gummed up with crap
2. Actuator broke (can be the plastic arm)
3. split in the vacuum hose to the actuator
4. Vacuum solenoid.
5. wiring damage to solenoid
on point 2. Where is the Actuator Loz? Sorry to be a pain

Thanks for that. Just went out 1/2 hour ago turned the engine over and let it warm up. All fault codes have cleared. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Loz
So far, so good. Went for a run this morning and flashing glow plug hasn't come back. I'm wondering if a low engine battery might have created the issue Yes/No?. I have a dashcam that was on stand-by and it used a bit of power for days possibly draining engine battery. I noticed Carista was reporting a low voltage of 11.9V when I connected to OBCD. However, I think alternator should be supplying a high enough voltage when engine running.

Anyway, new air filter coming which I'll fit this week.

I have the glow plug light flashing and the other symbol which I think is the exhaust system indicator according to the manual. See below image. The glow plug flashing light turns on after approximately 1 minute. Van starts no problem and runs OK seemingly. Any advice or pointers. Van was serviced by a VW indie 14/09/22 who didn't change the air filter as he said I had only done a low mileage

and

I don't have a VCDS

I also get an intermittent Start/Stop Error flashing up
I definitely hear a slight change in the engine tone at the point the glow plug light starts flashing

Seems still to run OK (i.e not going into limp mode).

Any help appreciated
P.s. is it safe to run it without causing engine damage?

View attachment 180163
Did you get this resolved?

Did you get this resolved?
The issue seems to have resolved as it has not returned since. Because the garage did't change the air filter when it was serviced, I bought one and fitted it myself. After changing the air filter the error has not retuned although I have done very little mileage. I used Carista to clear fault codes

Back