Sticking Inlet Manifold

grumpa

hi all, im new here .. I've had my t6 for just over a year now , its done 33,000 miles ,most of my journeys are 150 miles each way, for a month now in the outward journey the flashing coil light comes on at about 20 miles and it drops into limp mode , pull in switch off ,key out , set off again , maybe a mile and happens again ... This time cat light comes on.. Run it for maybe 60 miles on the motorway , stop again coil lights out now . (Cat light still on) all good , next day short journey 10miles cat light on but no coilflashing , Following day no lights and all good for journey home and following 30mile journey ... Then it all happens again!! Had codes reset 4 times , finally took it to vw .. Sticking inlet manifold £ 760.00 .. Before i tear whats left of my hair out , has anyone got any suggestions please ? Thanks

assuming you are you out of warranty ?
What answer are you looking for ?
you want to do it yourself, the intake manifold is a couple hundred + vat to buy, or you could go to a local independant and prob get it done cheaper (assuming the initial diagnosis is correct ! )

what T6, what engine, what year?

wasn't sure if there was a valve runner on the inlet . . . . looks like there might be.

7.jpg 8.jpg

Last edited:
hi all, im new here .. I've had my t6 for just over a year now , its done 33,000 miles ,most of my journeys are 150 miles each way, for a month now in the outward journey the flashing coil light comes on at about 20 miles and it drops into limp mode , pull in switch off ,key out , set off again , maybe a mile and happens again ... This time cat light comes on.. Run it for maybe 60 miles on the motorway , stop again coil lights out now . (Cat light still on) all good , next day short journey 10miles cat light on but no coilflashing , Following day no lights and all good for journey home and following 30mile journey ... Then it all happens again!! Had codes reset 4 times , finally took it to vw .. Sticking inlet manifold £ 760.00 .. Before i tear whats left of my hair out , has anyone got any suggestions please ? Thanks
I also have had this befor on a 90000+ 150 model , carbon can build up on the valves and they can stick , mines has never did it again after a few good burst on the motorway with shell diesel , I know one day it will come back on as it needs a proper clean , a good indy will have the system to clean it out if its really bad and causes faults all the time , am just lucky that mines has freed it's self with a gd blast but one day mines will need cleaning

Ps, by blast a mean high rpm and not a cruise along the Motorway lol

Ps, by blast a mean high rpm and not a cruise along the Motorway lol
Thanks for the replies ... Its a 16 plate 150 .... Maybe I've been too gentle ... I wondered if it was a common thing .. Its beginning to sound like vw want to replace it , not clean it .. How would i stop it happening again ? Thanks

Like I said to really clean you would need it professionaly cleaned with a garage that has facilities to do so like terraclean, just to name one but there are different companies , I reset mine with carista and has been fine ever since a filled up with shell vpower and started to open her up more on like slip roads to motorway , unfortunately carbon build up is inevitable and the more ye try and drive efficient the more it's going to get blocked , my local indy has system in called Forte so one day I will get mine done with them , have ye tried a fuel additive like redex ?

Like I said to really clean you would need it professionaly cleaned with a garage that has facilities to do so like terraclean, just to name one but there are different companies , I reset mine with carista and has been fine ever since a filled up with shell vpower and started to open her up more on like slip roads to motorway , unfortunately carbon build up is inevitable and the more ye try and drive efficient the more it's going to get blocked , my local indy has system in called Forte so one day I will get mine done with them , have ye tried a fuel additive like redex ?[/QUOTE
Like I said to really clean you would need it professionaly cleaned with a garage that has facilities to do so like terraclean, just to name one but there are different companies , I reset mine with carista and has been fine ever since a filled up with shell vpower and started to open her up more on like slip roads to motorway , unfortunately carbon build up is inevitable and the more ye try and drive efficient the more it's going to get blocked , my local indy has system in called Forte so one day I will get mine done with them , have ye tried a fuel additive like redex ?
It looks like I've a lot to learn about these modern engines , so any suggestions are always appreciated .

It looks like I've a lot to learn about these modern engines , so any suggestions are always appreciated .
Hi
Did this all get resolved in the end? My van is currently at VW awaiting removal of its inlet manifold

Did this get resolved. I had a new inlet manifold fitted last week but still getting the fault code. Either flap valves stuck open or shut. Can't work out what else could be causing it?

Did this get resolved. I had a new inlet manifold fitted last week but still getting the fault code. Either flap valves stuck open or shut. Can't work out what else could be causing it?
Confirm which code?
After my inlet manifold was changed I had my P20EE code come back. It went back in and had the glow plug chamber on cylinder no.3 cleaned out. There’s a sensor in there. Touchwood I haven’t had a dash light up since but have had the odd pending code when I’ve checked. So mines been ok for two years now

Glow plug 3 includes the in-cylinder pressure sensor.

Back