Glow plug light after standing

Neil Nicholls

Approaching 100k
T6 Guru
So, i`ve been away for around 3 weeks, and started the van today.
Didn`t think it was going to start, but just about did.
I have the glow plug light flashing, and its in limp.
Would that be anything to do with low battery ? Or something else ?

Thanks

It could be. Probably best to fully charge the battery with a charger, then see how things are.
Do you have a way of reading fault codes - Carista etc ?

Pete

It could be. Probably best to fully charge the battery with a charger, then see how things are.
Do you have a way of reading fault codes - Carista etc ?

Pete
Ah good, there is hope then.
No I don`t have a fault reader, but did put the battery on charge, so will see in the morning.

Cheers

Dpf blocked solid apparently.
Had no warning before yesterday, and travelled maybe 7 miles since the glow plug light came on

Did you mean EGR valve? VW charged a fortune to ‘flush’ the EGR on our 204 biturbo - light came back on whilst driving home from the garage! Not a happy chap, I had a rant, pointed to the large number of complaints on forums etc, which suggest poor design, and VW installed a new EGR free of charge.

Still not happy though, at 75,000 miles, one owner, full VW service history and no trip shorter than about 12 miles, this is very poor design from VW. Having had VW since 1993, all I can say is they seem to be going backward…. Our older models (T25, T4, T5) had the same or better consumption and far less issues with mechanicals etc…

So, an update.

The garage wrongly identified the scr as being blocked. It was actually the Dpf.
I took the removed dpf for cleaning £180, and it came back not much better than it went it.
So, it got cut open, cleaned out and refitted.
I then drove for around 3000 miles, with no issues, hearing it regen now and again, as usual.
Then, glow light back on & into limp mode.
It would seem that the dpf had broken up, and was blocked agin.
This time, its been in, mapped the adblue out, and dpf is now gutless.
Only just picked it up, so as yet I don`t know if there will be more issues, but it drove home fine.

Back