Genuine VW DRLs

(Just trying to muck up my expensive leds ) I'm running them from a on off switch at pressent but only as a temporary. Need to get creative but don't want to muck up the expensive DRL s . All this creativeness just gets more and more ,you guest it , EXPENSIVE !

Now getting interesting. Due to haveing leds wondering about the possibilities of wiring the DRL s.
The ecu driver has its own timer so when the relay is activated the lights will dim . The relay will stay closed until the power is removed ,then the timer starts and then the light come back on full after approximately 5 secs.
I'm thinking ? What if , remove the ecu driver complete. What's the DRL s running voltage.( could be 350 mwatts)
If each DRL was able to run from its own reduced volt supply thay could be run from relays powered from indicators ,so the trigger would be the indicator on and the relavent DRL would dim. Need to find the running supply voltage before anything.
Thinking , ignition on DRL on full. Lights on DRL s off.
DRL s on , indicators on ,DRL s dim timer cuts in , indicators off, 10 secs DRL s full on .
Sounds easy.
Sounds foreign. Not so sure about easy!

Now getting interesting. Due to haveing leds wondering about the possibilities of wiring the DRL s.
The ecu driver has its own timer so when the relay is activated the lights will dim . The relay will stay closed until the power is removed ,then the timer starts and then the light come back on full after approximately 5 secs.
I'm thinking ? What if , remove the ecu driver complete. What's the DRL s running voltage.( could be 350 mwatts)
If each DRL was able to run from its own reduced volt supply thay could be run from relays powered from indicators ,so the trigger would be the indicator on and the relavent DRL would dim. Need to find the running supply voltage before anything.
Thinking , ignition on DRL on full. Lights on DRL s off.
DRL s on , indicators on ,DRL s dim timer cuts in , indicators off, 10 secs DRL s full on .
Sounds easy.
Sounds like it would work, provided the pulsed input resets the relay timer ?

Closer look at DRL,s the ecu controller is set up to run both lights and the light fittings are linked together. Was hopeing to control the lights separately but this isn't happening.
Any thoughts on wiring DRL s to the led head lights , indicators, horn etc,or shall I just keep them on a separate switch?

All fitted ok and working fine.
The way I decided to wire was : live from second factory fitted battery via fuse at present 5 amp fuse. Small isolation switch .Live feeding to day light sensor on dash( small removable semi translosent section right at the front close to the
screen ) .During day light , light on full ,when dusk the light sensor trigger goes to switch the day lights and that dims them . When day light DRL s go back to full light.
The main feed from battery is temporary ,this will be ignition feed due at the time I don't want to turn on ignition and possibly bring up error codes

I'm really keen to fit the DRL's but have factory LED's too, so any progress with this is really interesting. Thanks for putting in so much effort and being kind enough to share it with us all!

Out of interest should the factory LED, DRL's dim when you indicate? Mine don't.

Hi gmaster no they don't The switch supply ( blue wire ) controls the modual which feeds both lights to dim so one signal operates both lights and there no way of separating them.
I first though of buying another modual from the supplier of the lights but they could only deal with VW direct and only supplied the complete kits, so a no go there . I've just excepted that how ever you decide to switch them to to low level both light will dim.
Good luck .

@Stampie I have front parking sensors on my combi and i now have the new DRL light with the panels they fit in. Can you give me any advice on cutting the holes out for the parking sensors. I see on the back of the panel there is a outer line marked with the centre mark too, is this the correct size to cut out to fit the sensors in ? i have the plastic mounting brackets for the back as well. Any advise will help please.

I've had my kit since December but only getting round to fitting them. I used a very small drill to drill lots of small holes from the back face following the guide outline then sharpened up the edges with a craft knife. Very pleased with end result. That's as far as I've got so far with the install.

I've had my kit since December but only getting round to fitting them. I used a very small drill to drill lots of small holes from the back face following the guide outline then sharpened up the edges with a craft knife. Very pleased with end result. That's as far as I've got so far with the install.

I was thinking of borrowing a dermal to do it but the outline marked on the panel is smaller than the sensors holders i have fitted to mine, so i need to get them bigger i think :unsure:. only get one chance so best get it right first time ;)

Thanks guys. i think i have the wrong sensor holders to start with, so are sort that first then have a go before they go to paint.

Back