Gas Lockers.... always required or dependant on setup?

sorry to hop onto your thread XP, but quick question: do i need a gas locker if we use a portable gas bottle for a bbq/external cooker? the bottle wouldnt be connected to anything permenantly... but would be strapped down obvs for when travelling..
If you install for your own use it doesn't need certification, but do fit a drop vent and a gas alarm.
Have a look as Gastore by Propex it's under sling but has an easy filler

@scotia what I gather from this thread is that a gas locker is not a legal requirement if fitting yourself for own use. It's just good practice and safer. I don't have the space so opting to go without initially and hopefully going for an underslung lpg tank down the road a bit as highlighted by @T6 Dave

hi there,
yup thats what i got too. we're undecided as to a 'kitchen' hence the seperate gas bottle. if we do a kitchen it'll be at the back in a pull out sort of idea..

hi there,
yup thats what i got too. we're undecided as to a 'kitchen' hence the seperate gas bottle. if we do a kitchen it'll be at the back in a pull out sort of idea..

Have a shufty at Slidepods website, if you haven't already..

apart from that im still waiting for a reply from @slidepods, Guys do you have any details for this water tank bracket etc? i'd prefer to see what i'd be buying, how it fits etc?

yup, they talked about a stainless bracket that enables a 57litre tank but i was hoping for some pics and details of fixings etc... i have a friend here who is also very interested but needs more details than that! his cali is raised and he needs confirmation that it doesnt affect his clearance.

ha! always good to have enough water...

we have planned to travel to spain etc and as im scottish i need water when its hot!

@slidepods posted photos on another thread when I was asking about it (I think it was the thoggs lining thread). I ended up just going with a container in the cupboard for the time being

@scotia Found the post mate - https://www.t6forum.com/threads/thoggs-lining-as-it-happens.1549/page-11 Near the bottom of this page

In the end I decided it would be easier for me to refill a water container thats in my furniture (also a lot cheaper). Its also easier to check if the eater container is clean and mold free etc if I can actually see inside it although you get tablets and things you can put in tanks to clean them so maybe not a big deal. I may go for an underbody water tank down the road a bit to allow me to carry more as my container is only 13L.

However the LPG tank in this thread is more appealing to me and it goes in the same location as the water tank on slidepods thread so theres a decision to be made

Think there's another underbody tank available.. The filler is mounted in the front step area.. Although I'd go for the refil containers first and see how you fair with them.. You can always buy large bottles of bottled water if you have the bottle, or indeed if you forget your bottle or any of your bottles Spring a leak or grow a growth... :eek::rofl::rofl::sleep::sleep: Sorry.. Tired, so warped sense of humour...

Yeah, apologies to all in advance if I'm a bit narky or short etc.. Health affects me that way without my realising it at times......

indeed, we're not sure which to go for so will see our use first..
CAK do a tank that goes under the drivers side door area and as Dave says can be fed from a filler in the drivers step area. It's got less capacity than slide pods tank and not as good fixing mechanism but it's still a decent size and can be done.

Note, in the previous posted pics of the red tank, I spy, with my little eye...... White tape on gas joints!

Also on the pressure gauge joint!!!!

DO NOT DO THIS! It's ruddy dangerousness! Test on first fill with a water soap spray, and look for bubbles in the liquid sprayed.. Also use your nose.. DO NOT use a match! :rofl:

1st fill.... Put a small amount 1ltr in the tank with it isolated, and check for leaks.. Then open up gas manifold etc, and check for leaks.. Then when happy, fill up..

The gas joints use a sealing washer thingy, called an olive, does not need or want white tape!

Incorrect on the white tape, Dave! Some ptfe tapes are recognised as appropriate for natural and lp gas. It is good practice for installers to use this tape, but ensure it's the correct one. It will usually come in a yellow plastic roll, whereas the more common ptfe for water usually comes in a white roll, and must not be used with gas.
Do yourselves a favour, and get someone who is registered to check it out and certify it safe before initial use. The certificate will probably only cost £50 or £60 (at least thats what I charge!)
How would anyone think it was sensible to neglect this? Soapy water is not the answer to testing for gas integrity!

Fully understand the lp quality of SOME tapes, but the gas connection is sealed via a copper olive, and is designed so that that is the only seal, if you have to put tape on to get a good seal, then that is wrong.. Use a new olive,cand do it again, but that's YOUR choice... Been doing auto LPG for ages, NEVER had to resort to tape EVER, as the system was not designed with it as a seal to be used....

Heath and Robinson spring to mind... If its not in the kit.. Its not needed, if its not in the instructions for fitting, its not required or designed to be used in fitment.. Simples good practice is to get a good seal with the olive, the tape would be a backstop that could mask a small leak from the olive or pipe before it turned major from say a fracture at the joint opening up... But you fit it your way, I'll fit mine my way.. Everyone else can form their own opinion and do it theirs..

Soapy water is a good test, yes there are others, but for most private individuals fit and test that way, unless they are a business and have a gas sniffer to hand, but will usually get that done when the cert is issued.. Better than a nose, much better than a match!

Last edited:
Back