Gas Lockers.... always required or dependant on setup?

xpfloyd

T6 Legend
OK so I have read a load of posts on other sites about gas lockers and if they are needed or not. I like the safety benefits they give with the drop out vent etc but I am struggling to find a location where a locker will fit as I also need to locate my fresh water container.

Also - I plan on installing all the gas parts myself and then getting a gas safe registered person to make the connections and check the setup.

So I have a couple of questions if anyone can help please -

1 - If I use a gas locker and have copper pipe between the locker and the cooker do I need to switch the gas off at the bottle every time we are driving? (this could determine where the locker needs to be for easy access)
2 - If I have the bottle in the cupboard directly below the cooker and connect it with a flexi hose and switch it off at the bottle every time I am not using it do I actually need a gas locker (may be able to squeeze a gas bottle and my fresh water container in the cupboard I have available)

Thanks in advance

OK so I have read a load of posts on other sites about gas lockers and if they are needed or not. I like the safety benefits they give with the drop out vent etc but I am struggling to find a location where a locker will fit as I also need to locate my fresh water container.

Also - I plan on installing all the gas parts myself and then getting a gas safe registered person to make the connections and check the setup.

So I have a couple of questions if anyone can help please -

1 - If I use a gas locker and have copper pipe between the locker and the cooker do I need to switch the gas off at the bottle every time we are driving? (this could determine where the locker needs to be for easy access)
2 - If I have the bottle in the cupboard directly below the cooker and connect it with a flexi hose and switch it off at the bottle every time I am not using it do I actually need a gas locker (may be able to squeeze a gas bottle and my fresh water container in the cupboard I have available)

Thanks in advance

Point 1, normally only on ferries, but good practice, also good practice to pressure test it to test for leaks.. Say on cooker shut of knobs..

Point 2, not really, but in event of failure of seal on bottle and it not closing off, gas locker a good idea..

have you thought of under slung? There is a kit by calor I think..

Thanks @T6 Dave . I hadnt thought of underslung but I it might be a PITA as would it require jacking up the van to change the bottle?

Thanks @T6 Dave . I hadnt thought of underslung but I it might be a PITA as would it require jacking up the van to change the bottle?

It's a perm fitted bottle, fill off of car lpg pumps, so cheaper.. Will also have the benefit of a fill indicator gauge inside van :thumbsup: will dig out a pic..

If you install for your own use it doesn't need certification, but do fit a drop vent and a gas alarm.
Have a look as Gastore by Propex it's under sling but has an easy filler

If you install for your own use it doesn't need certification, but do fit a drop vent and a gas alarm.
Have a look as Gastore by Propex it's under sling but has an easy filler

So even if im just putting the bottle in a cupboard without a locker I should still do a drop out vent? Makes sense now that you have said it

You also need a screw in adapted for EU trips, but this is simples... I used to do LPG installs, and they are neat.. Mind you I was LPG A approved converter on cars and campers.. Incl gas injection.. Plenty full..

Last edited:
Yes smev..Is LPG readily available? Its not something I have ever noticed as I dont look out for it

Google lpg filling stations near you, but Europe no probs, and uk shouldn't be a problem.. It's cheaper, and you can gas up whenever without worry.. Major filling stations in uk I found have it.. and you will have more on board anyway..

Just checked there and there are plenty near me. This is looking promising. What's the screw in adaptor for you mentioned?

You can also run a propex gas heater instead of an ebby or webby, they do same job..

You can also run a propex gas heater instead of an ebby or webby, they do same job..
Food for thought!! I was planning on getting an underslung eberspacher but was struggling to find an installer in Scotland. Will have to look into propex heaters

Ok..

image.jpeg

Above is the pressure test gauge.. Defo instal one, checks for leaks in system. Also need a manifold take off tap unit..

image.jpeg

This is the lpg tank gauge that attaches to a live and then this green wire that goes to the manual gauge, this works on a float system and is converted iirc by magnet..

image.jpeg

You also need to put a coil in in the copper tube inside van near the manifold to prevent fracture by vibration iirc, that what we used to do before the liquid to gas exchanger, but the kit should tell you all this..

The rh (large) copper pipe is fill, lh, or small one is out to your appliances, the silver bit is the regulator.. Note small gas Pipe is routed in this pic through enclosure (lid is off) and out to rh side of van

Last edited:
Back