fuel economy

Mine frequently idles at 1000rpm. VW technician told me this was part of the regeneration process. I've often seen 41mpg (actually up to 46) on MFD......but never in reality. 35 to 37mpg seems to be where I'm at.....I am an economical driver though. I suspect 30mpg would be easily "achieved"......anyway, I still love it and don't regret buying it......but reading some of the posts, I'm beginning to think a problem of some sort is just around the corner. FWIW I've done 2300 miles so I would imagine it's still a little tight? Just one thing though........I work my consumption on trip 2. Save me looking in the handbook, what's the difference between 1 and 2? 1 seems to reset more frequently.:thumbsup:

Regarding trip 1 and trip 2, i asked the same question, and Pauly provided a comprehensive answer. Its on here somewhere, if you search my posts, you should find it.

16k on the clock now and 39mpg average. Mid forties on the m way, but town driving kills it, as you would expect. 140 DSG Kombi, light right foot, and winters on now and I've not noticed any difference in the mpg.

On the 204 engine maybe being too much to ask for, performance and economy, I was chatting at work a few weeks ago about mapping and engines etc etc. Our particular 2.0 VAG engine was brought up in conversation as an example of one engine but available in many different guises, across many different vehicles. It was praised for its economy, but then the BMW 2.0 diesel was mentioned and how that engine was very economical in all its various outputs but especially how it retained the economy even when tuned to its max, whereas the VAG didn't. I wasn't aware this was the case but the feeling from some ( backed up by other forums) was VAG can't do big bhp and economy, and the bi-turbo's are a bit of a dog.

Maybe there is a limit to this engine, but BMW manage it, soooo.....I don't know. A mate of mine has a 335d and its unbelievably fast, and still does 60 mpg, a Audi A4 Avant 3.0 tdi I had awhile back never got more than low 40's and I'm a tight Yorkshire man with a light right boot..

Before I ordered the T6 I had the latest Vito 200 bhp automatic on an extended 3 day test drive.
It returned 34mpg (according to the dash) and I'm pretty sure it was driven harder than I'm driving now.

Only difference being it was empty, my current van is always loaded with tools etc, I've never weighed what I carry, but would hazard a guess at 300-400 kg.

Very dissapointed with the current average MPG. When you figure in the extra cost of Adblue it doesn't say much for progress or technology.

It was a really close call between the Merc and VW, I'm now wondering if I made the wrong decision.:thumbsdown: Hopefully the depreciation difference will make up the extra cost in fuel :thumbsup:

I had a Vito about 5 years ago, and due to its incredible build quality it spent a lot of time at the dealers who gave me the 200bhp sport X as a courtesy vehicle. Quite good fun to drive, but unbelievably thirsty.

I had a Vito about 5 years ago, and due to its incredible build quality it spent a lot of time at the dealers who gave me the 200bhp sport X as a courtesy vehicle. Quite good fun to drive, but unbelievably thirsty.

Fair points about the old Vito, but the latest incarnation seems on a par with the VW, both have good and bad points, but i couldn't choose a clear winner between them. Engine and box in the Vito was one area i would score the Merc slightly higher than the T6.

Before I ordered the T6 I had the latest Vito 200 bhp automatic on an extended 3 day test drive.
It returned 34mpg (according to the dash) and I'm pretty sure it was driven harder than I'm driving now.

Only difference being it was empty, my current van is always loaded with tools etc, I've never weighed what I carry, but would hazard a guess at 300-400 kg.

Very dissapointed with the current average MPG. When you figure in the extra cost of Adblue it doesn't say much for progress or technology.

It was a really close call between the Merc and VW, I'm now wondering if I made the wrong decision.:thumbsdown: Hopefully the depreciation difference will make up the extra cost in fuel :thumbsup:
That is a big difference to the brochure Quoted MPG (which of course no one gets that close in real use) have you changed tyres? Wheel size, tyre pressure? I would say something isn't right go back to your dealer ?

I've just filled up again and once again it's increased slightly in the return of mpg, today's fill gave me 34.1mpg which isn't too bad, hope it keeps improving as the miles climb (currently on 1500)
Interestingly the Adblue was 4500 miles when i picked up the van, today it rose to 5000, but soon dropped back to 4500, so i don't think i'll need too factor the ADblue costs in to my calculations unless it drops from 4500-0 rapidly :eek: (I'll save the Adblue debate for another thread)

No, it's on bog standard 17" Devonports, am driving in D and not S, same type of journey's as my previous two vans, carrying same weight.

Previous vans were both on bigger wheels, and to be honest there's not a great deal of difference in performance between any of them.

Would be happy with 30mpg, but 25 is silly, i get more mpg out of the TVR :laugh:

I would suggest plugging into VCDS if possible, and checking for any codes? :thumbsdown: as I remember someone has an EGR code logged, but no engine management light on. :thumbsdown:

250 miles yesterday up & down the A1/A14 from Wakefield to St Ives at 65-75 two up plus two dogs filled up on return home and worked out at 38mpg on 204ps 4motion DSG velle, not bad at all, computer said 39mpg so seems quite accurate...,

Hi guys,
As I am at the moment on the look out for a T6 and have a couple to choose from, 150ps or 140ps it would be very helpful to myself and to other potential buyers if everyone who posts about their good or bad fuel consumption was to tell us what engine/model they have.
Just a thought.
Cheers

204ps calculated tank to tank, best mpg 34.1, worst 29.8mpg, best shown on MFD for a full journey 38.6mpg :D, just need to manage that on a full tank!
Despite what some have experienced, my MFD seems pretty close to what i'm achieving, currently shows 32.3mpg average over 4000 miles versus 31.7 actual mpg

3300 miles on the clock now.....150bhp manual kombi. My MFD is showing 42mpg right now. When I fill it up tomorrow and calculate the mpg myself, I can guarantee the actual mpg will be 37 ish. I don't understand why some MFD's are close and others, like mine are a mile (or 5 actually!) out!

Right guys.

My van was looked at buy imperial Vw in notts.
I cannot faukt then to be honest. The attractive service lady was lovely and the mechanics asked if they can was mapped before he started.

As I suspected they couldn't find anything wrong with the van. No faults, no errors, no software updates. Not thought fuel to do a forced Regen.

So it looks like the ea288 engine is more refined and more fox and badger friendly. But my god it's thirsty. The reduced emissions must come from running the engine a bit richer as nox emissions come from running lean as diesels do at cruising speeds.

My fellow Chipsaway neighbor has a t6 with the Euro 5 84PS. Same kit and weight but standard 16" wheels and he is getting 42-49mpg. I'm getting 29mpg average. Just got 31 on the last tank but I did do mostly motorway miles.

Adblue is only lasting 2500 miles before the refill alarm beeps constantly.

I know. Sucks. But no issues and the van drives great.
Vw did say the van will improve with mileage but from experience with the t5 when stayed the same I doubt it. I'll see what the fuel economy is like after the remap. I track every single fuel full up since day one.

@RattyMcClelland have you tried sticking your 16's back on and see if that makes a difference?
Was your abt exhaust fitted as soon as you took delivery might worth seeing if anyone else with one fitted has decreased mpg.

Back