fuel economy

Its barely run in yet. I wouldn't worry about it. At 10k and you're still getting those figures then I would be worried, but for now.........nah! don't sweat it.

I got the same fuel economy in by t5.1 from brand new to 130k. Nothing changed.

However I hope you're right or else I'll do absolutely nothing about it.

I got the same fuel economy in by t5.1 from brand new to 130k. Nothing changed.

However I hope you're right or else I'll do absolutely nothing about it.

Same with the T6, over 10000 miles now and the MFD 1 average has only risen by 1mpg from new to a healthy 37.6mpg.

Filled up today, and i managed 33.24mpg which is slightly better than the MFD says i've done :thumbsup:

390.6 miles on 53.40 litres/11.75 gallons

would've liked to see 35mpg but i'm not far away, the above figures could've been better too, had i not hit a lot of traffic today, nearly 7 hours driving to cover 180 miles :mad:

Agree with Ratty though, i've had 5 vans from new to between 20-100k, a mix of fords and VW and they've all done the same by not improving over time.
Transit sport was the worst, drive briskly and 25mpg was the norm, drive as slow as you can and you could just scrape 30mpg.

We've had VAG diesels since 1998 in some form or another, and my experience of these engines is they ( like a fine wine, maybe not) get better with age. Economy, running,sound even improves with the miles, infact I'd say they are not really run in until 50k. My slight caveat though is these two we have at the moment are common rail engines, all the previous were PD's.

I do hope you all find improvements as your miles go up, I certainly have, and if not get a lighter right boot.

I drove from Malaga to Bilbao the other day.
Average speed for the trip was 72mph. Cruise was set at 80.
The mfd read 36mpg at the end of the trip.
Total mileage is 4K now.
204 swb manual kombi light load.

My caddy was a CR 2.0tdi 140, and i never had an issue with that over 97,000 miles, never saw the Dpf light or have any emission based issues. I think a lot of problems with newer diesel engines stems from owners purchasing the wrong engine for there intended use, for lots of short journeys, diesels are far from ideal.

The 140 engine was fine and they addressed the 180 issues in 2013 but it made us very wary of the VW bi-turbo engines.

Mates have a 2012 180 and they are rapidly selling it on for a T6 Cali Beach before theirs blows up.

It's not the owners, it's very poor engine and emissions ancillaries design.

Just put 5th tankful of shell nitro in..........MFD said 42.4mpg......old school calculation said 37.56mpg! Pretty useless piece of kit really.

Yay 30mpg, get a bit better. Just filled up and calculated. Mfd remaind the same and is abit more nearly accurate.....i use that term loosely.

IMG_0075.JPG Going to hit the 600 club for the first time. I've a 70 litre tank and passed experience tells me tank takes between 60 and 62 litres to brim when range shows 0 miles . Will confirm tomorrow when I fill up.
DPF regen seems to have calmed down a lot recently too.

Does this show you got 596 miles from 62 l of fuel ? I make that a lot more than 30 mpg.

IMG_0076.JPG Well, just went and filled up as had to nip to bank. Just a whisker over 62 litres at 598 miles.

wow.......43.8mpg! That's impressive.......which model do you have? Yours is probably a little more loosened up than mine (2100 miles) but that is some serious hypermiling......well done! :thumbsup:

wow.......43.8mpg! That's impressive.......which model do you have? Yours is probably a little more loosened up than mine (2100 miles) but that is some serious hypermiling......well done! :thumbsup:
It's a 150 Kombi manual. Yes, I was finding every time I filled up (I always run from full to empty) that the predicted range would be a little more than the last time.

I've just worked out why VW have fitted such feeble headlights. I was driving home tonight......filthy horrible nigh...... and there were times when I had to drive like Reginald Molehusband due to the lack of visibility provided by the two miners lamps up front. This had a knock on effect to my fuel economy which improved noticeably........so that's why they did it.........they improve your fuel consumption.......eureka!!!!

Back