fuel economy

If I could find a company offering it with dpf Regen switched off in the ecu on Euro 6 models and adblue switched off I'd do it in a heartbeat.
My mate round the corner, Dellboy, could get his brother, Rodney, to do it for you lol

why is there such a vast difference for basically the same vehicle? anyways anybody know the correct oil for my van,looking online its throwing up the castrol edge 11 platinum also the quantum longlife 3 ?

October 18
Hi all
Can anyone please help or advise.
Purchased a new t6 tdi 150 bhp last October and have done about 7000 miles since then. My major issue is fuel economy, I constantly only ever achieve 31mpg and this is country driving doing journeys of 12 to 30 miles at a time. VW inform me that even in town only driving I should achieve 38mpg at worst. I'm really getting pissed of which for the main part is a great van, my load is app 500k at most, less than the weight of 6 to 7 men in the van so weight should not be a problem. VW said its my roof bars but apart from that say it's just down to driving. My previous 15 year old t4 was doing 28 mpg so to pay out 34k for an extra 2 mpg improvement is leaving a very bitter taste in the mouth. So far, previous commentators are stating they are achieving 38 to 40 plus, if I could get 38 plus, would be more than happy. The fuel is measured from fill to fill to give an exact amount of fuel used. Usual milage is 430 with 40 miles remaining. Any advice or info would be much appreciated

October 18
Hi all
Can anyone please help or advise.
Purchased a new t6 tdi 150 bhp last October and have done about 7000 miles since then. My major issue is fuel economy, I constantly only ever achieve 31mpg and this is country driving doing journeys of 12 to 30 miles at a time. VW inform me that even in town only driving I should achieve 38mpg at worst. I'm really getting p***ed of which for the main part is a great van, my load is app 500k at most, less than the weight of 6 to 7 men in the van so weight should not be a problem. VW said its my roof bars but apart from that say it's just down to driving. My previous 15 year old t4 was doing 28 mpg so to pay out 34k for an extra 2 mpg improvement is leaving a very bitter taste in the mouth. So far, previous commentators are stating they are achieving 38 to 40 plus, if I could get 38 plus, would be more than happy. The fuel is measured from fill to fill to give an exact amount of fuel used. Usual milage is 430 with 40 miles remaining. Any advice or info would be much appreciated
Ouch! A few questions out of curiosity:
what kind of diesel do you use?
did you run the van in?
do you live in a hilly part of the world? (just thinking about the size of your load)
do you calculate the fuel consumption manually or do you trust the MFD readout (is it on MPG2)?
MD:thumbsup:

Usual milage is 430 with 40 miles remaining. Any advice or info would be much appreciated

Sounds about right to me.
My light always comes on within 50 miles of 400 miles.
Same van as yours, but driven like a grandad and completely emty.
Shocking.

I suspect if I still lived in a hilly part of the UK, mine would be similar.....on a recent 50 mile trip up the A1, having just filled up.....by the time I got home, my mfd was showing 62mpg!! Okay....it was the storm if a few weeks ago! Sometimes poor aerodynamics can work FOR you!! The lack of consumption consistency across this forum is staggering !! I'm wondering if it's the way these vans were "run in" that's responsible for this?

I always get 600 miles between fill ups. Last tank the low fuel didnt bleep until 597 miles- i reckon i could have got close to 700 on that tank if i had tried.. Long, easy runs though. Its a 150 (with standard wheels)

The problem is that there are so many variables. Take our 20,000 mile, 102bhp, 2.4tonne (laden) T6 camper.

On an A-Road long cruise, we can get low 40's mpg, which I am happy with.
At 70mph on the motorway, we get 36mpg - the lower power and lack of 6th gear I guess - happy with this though.
Don't know what it is around town as we rarely use it for that.
Up and down hilly B-roads it's mid 30's - again, we are OK with that.
I bet my wife would get better mileage than me (she does on everything else we drive !).

The poster above talks about short trips of 12-30 miles, and has done 7,000 miles in a year. I would imagine that the engine is barely run in yet, and those short trips will mean that the engine is constantly getting up to temperature.

We all know that manufacturers figures are the very best we could possible achieve.

Pete

Yep, sounds about right to me. Low mileage, short runs, town driving, the worst you could possibly get. I get low to mid 40's, but 90% motorway driving at 70mph ish, and I've got 56k on the clock now, so I would say well run in.

Oh' and don't forget its a VW. They have been known to bend the truth on occasion. But in a post truth world, just shout to yourself three times " I'm getting 50mpg!" an all will be well.

The problem is that there are so many variables. Take our 20,000 mile, 102bhp, 2.4tonne (laden) T6 camper.

On an A-Road long cruise, we can get low 40's mpg, which I am happy with.
At 70mph on the motorway, we get 36mpg - the lower power and lack of 6th gear I guess - happy with this though.
Don't know what it is around town as we rarely use it for that.
Up and down hilly B-roads it's mid 30's - again, we are OK with that.
I bet my wife would get better mileage than me (she does on everything else we drive !).

The poster above talks about short trips of 12-30 miles, and has done 7,000 miles in a year. I would imagine that the engine is barely run in yet, and those short trips will mean that the engine is constantly getting up to temperature.

We all know that manufacturers figures are the very best we could possible achieve.

Pete

Hi Pete,

We're virtually the same as you - 102 panel van converted to Camper, approaching 17,000 miles...

I get near as dammit the same figures as yourself for the various scenarios, so perhaps comfort that we're on a par!?

Initially I was disappointed, but when loaded it's carrying its carry circa 2.5 tonne - that's some weight to move, plus converted roof, Fiamma awning all will affect aerodynamics.

When we do long trips, once it's cruising it initially indicates it will do just short of 700 miles, once you're off the Motorway and and A/B roads that inevitably drops, think best we've done off a tank is circa 630 miles and that was fully laden so I'm OK with that.

Thanks.

MY18 T6 150. Empty.

Tried this morning to see what I could get if I drove like a granddad for my 12 mile basically flat route to work. Answer - 46.6MPG

Yesterday I drove home a little more enthusiastically, and got 32.4

Hugely different results from different driving styles.

I drove from loughborough to Newton Abbot on Friday last week Abbas back again in one day 420mile all round journey down the a42/m42 then most of the m5.
One tank.
Averaged 30mpg. 70mph most of the way until it dropped to 50 on the smart motorway.

45k miles, 150bhp mapped. Average 28mpg over 40k miles with fulley app.

Has anybody got figures for using 'Coast Function' compared to normal running?
I think coasting function IS normal running i.e. the default. I've never turned mine off so don't have any comparison figures, but I'm averaging 36.1mpg in normal use, though that rose to 40.4 mpg during a recent 2500 European trip. My mfd reads 1.5 - 2 mpg more than that, which is pretty accurate really. 150 DSG camper.

I used the Coast function when the van was new for the first couple of thousand miles but then turned it off because I rather have my predictive driving using engine breaking working!

I did not notice any difference in the average MPG on the MFD between on and off.

Mine seems to have a sweet spot around 80-82. Much better than cruising at 70. Seems 60 is best, but 80ish is better than 70.
Weird, but I get around 32-35 at that speed, or around 28-30 @ 70mph

Hi all
Thanks for the comments but my gripe is the vast variation in mpg and my previous t4 basic 1.9tdi achieving 28mpg always and this brand new bells and whistles 150 bhp doing only and extra 3mpg. The vw brochure advertises urban 38.2, 51.4 EU and 45. 6 combined for my van. My dealer said the worst case scenario would be all urban driving like continually stop start. That's my gripe but I take someone's point about the 10 to 30 mile journays and app 700 mile per month being all short journeys, however, I still feel I have been mis lead. The fuel has been from Asda, Tesco, BP and Shell and there has been no difference in economy in the Asda 1.31/l to the BP 1.39/liter only a waste of money. Has the van been run in? I would think so after 3000 miles and again the Dealer said there is no such thing as running in modern day van's, anyway at 6000 + miles I would consider it ran in. One Donegal man took his dealer to court and won his case based on the fact that the dealer had mislead him re fuel consumption
https://conversation.which.co.uk/motoring/misleading-car-mpg-claims/

As to other issues, it took the dealer two attempts to sort out leaking coolant and the van off the road for 3 weeks, no other problems - running on standard 16inch wheels

Hi all
Thanks for the comments but my gripe is the vast variation in mpg and my previous t4 basic 1.9tdi achieving 28mpg always and this brand new bells and whistles 150 bhp doing only and extra 3mpg. The vw brochure advertises urban 38.2, 51.4 EU and 45. 6 combined for my van. My dealer said the worst case scenario would be all urban driving like continually stop start. That's my gripe but I take someone's point about the 10 to 30 mile journays and app 700 mile per month being all short journeys, however, I still feel I have been mis lead. The fuel has been from Asda, Tesco, BP and Shell and there has been no difference in economy in the Asda 1.31/l to the BP 1.39/liter only a waste of money. Has the van been run in? I would think so after 3000 miles and again the Dealer said there is no such thing as running in modern day van's, anyway at 6000 + miles I would consider it ran in. One Donegal man took his dealer to court and won his case based on the fact that the dealer had mislead him re fuel consumption
https://conversation.which.co.uk/motoring/misleading-car-mpg-claims/

As to other issues, it took the dealer two attempts to sort out leaking coolant and the van off the road for 3 weeks, no other problems - running on standard 16inch wheels
My previous 2012 Vivaro always gave 40+. Never went wrong, and was cheap as chips.
Follow the Donegal man, we have all been lied too. Well most anyway.
How can all the vans vary so much ? The difference is vast, can`t all be down to driving style

I usually reckon on knocking 15-20% off manufacturers claims to get the real figures, though with the new tougher measuring system coming in I think we'll begin to see less extravagant claims.

Back