Fuel Additives

First what's the reasoning behind wanting to use premium fuel? Have you measured your mpg over a few tanks real term and not using the MFD, and notice any difference?

I tried an additive and my MPG went DOWN! This was over 3 tanks, stopped using it and MPG went up.

There is also no real proof supermarket fuel is better or worse than "branded fuel" or is it the old thinking that it must be better as it's more expensive?

First what's the reasoning behind wanting to use premium fuel? Have you measured your mpg over a few tanks real term and not using the MFD, and notice any difference?

I tried an additive and my MPG went DOWN! This was over 3 tanks, stopped using it and MPG went up.

There is also no real proof supermarket fuel is better or worse than "branded fuel" or is it the old thinking that it must be better as it's more expensive?

Compare apples with apples, branded diesel will most likely be no better than supermarket diesel. Premium branded diesel will have extra benefits over standard supermarket diesel obviously.

My V8 Mustang runs much better on premium petrol, but I notice no difference on the T6 except less dpf re-gens.

That's the question, is it really better and in what sense? I have never seen a study proving either way.

I would say if it makes people feel better in themselves then go for it but don't expect miracles.

My question to the forum is not as such mpg related, more so what are the general related benefits if any of these products

Some claim to have less regen cycles, personally I only notice regen is happening when I park, get out and hear the fan.

Use an additive if it makes you feel better, personally I use branded diesel as it has the same base fuel but contains an enhanced additive pack over cheaper fuels (inc supermarket fuels) - I won’t use cheap fuel in my van for these reasons.

lots will claim that they always use supermarket fuels with no problems and this will be true but branded fuels are a step up in quality, similarly premium fuels are a step up over normal branded fuel.

It’s like the old redex days ...engine still pinked...but for diesel isn’t about getting up to temp hence try to avoid short trips and changing your oil more frequently...but I’m sure inside my fuel cap it says don’t use additives :thumbsup:

I used Diesel Rhino additive for a while. Lots of claims about improved running and MPG saving.
In truth I found no difference in running and MPG was no better than standard supermarket fuel. Measured and calculated not MFD figures. YMMV literally and you may find it’s great but for me it wasn’t worth the hassle to buy it and put it in.
The world would be a boring place if there was only one right way to do things though:thumbsup:

I think it's very difficult to compare fuel economy from day to day, when trying to assess the benefit of additives. Last time I put a couple of tanks of Synergy Supreme in, my average mpg was actually slightly less. But I didn't count how many times the van was started from cold. I didn't note the wind direction on my journeys. I didn't note the outside temperature. I didn't note my average speed. I didn't note how many times I stopped and started. I didn't weigh the contents of the van. I didn't note how much standing water was on the road when it rained. I didn't count how many regents did it did. The list of variables could go on....

So this experience wouldn't make me write off the benefits of premium fuels.

Personally I'll fill up with premium once in a while. I'll spend a tenner and buy 5 bottles of redex when it's on offer at Tesco's for 2 quid and chuck a double dose in once a month. Displacing its 250ml volume in fuel means it works out £1.70 a go. Buttons really. If it does nowt, then it does nowt. Not really lost much in the grand scheme of what it costs to run 2.5 tonne worth of van each year.

Have seen it mentioned here that active regens seem to reduce in frequency as the van matures in mileage. Have to say, it seems to he the case with mine.

Also only twice had the DPF light come on in the last 33,000miles. Once after a long period of idling. The second with the fuel light on after a fair bit of stop start city driving. Both practices I've since avoided. Fuel light on = box box box, for me. (Not had the software update yet).

I'm pretty feather footed with how I drive my van, as I'm hoping to keep it a while. Other folks driving styles will differ.

But in short, there seems too many variables to give any kind of assessment. Tests need to be done in controlled circumstances. Most likely on a rolling road with atmospheric conditions regulated. That's just in my humble view of course.

Last edited:
I think it's very difficult to compare fuel economy from day to day, when trying to assess the benefit of additives. Last time I put a couple of tanks of Synergy Supreme in, my average mpg was actually slightly less. But I didn't count how many times the van was started from cold. I didn't note the wind direction on my journeys. I didn't note the outside temperature. I didn't note my average speed. I didn't note how many times I stopped and started. I didn't weigh the contents of the van. I didn't note how much standing water was on the road when it rained. I didn't count how many regents did it did. The list of variables could go on....

So this experience wouldn't make me write off the benefits of premium fuels.

Personally I'll fill up with premium once in a while. I'll spend a tenner and by 5 bottles of redex when it's on offer at Tesco's for 2 quid and chuck a double dose in once a month. Displacing its 250ml volume in fuel means it works out £1.70 a go. Buttons really. If it does nowt, then it does nowt. Not really lost much in the grand scheme of what it costs to run 2.5 tonne worth of van each year.

Have seen it mentioned here that active regens seem to reduce in frequency as the van matures in mileage. Have to say, it seems to he the case with mine.

Also only twice had the DPF light come on in the last 33,000miles. Once after a long period of idling, the second with the fuel light on after a fair bit of stop start city driving. Both practices I now avoid. Fuel light on = box box box, for me. (Not had the software update yet).

I'm pretty feather footed with how I drive my van, as I'm hoping to keep it a while. Other folks driving styles will differ.

But in short, there seems too many variables to give any kind of assessment. Tests need to be done in controlled circumstances. Most likely on a rolling road with atmospheric conditions regulated. That's just in my humble view of course.
Agree with your argument on controlled conditions entirely and my observed experience can only ever be a limited view.
Indeed I have had some issues with rough low speed revs recently and will bung in a tank of premium next time round to see if there is any improvement on that front. My general view was that the Diesel Rhino didn’t do anything positive enough to be worth the effort. However like you I want my carefully constructed T6 to be with me for many years so I will do my best to treat it right.:thumbsup:

Redex or Millers Diesel Power Ecomax 500ml?

Hi all, does anyone have any personal preferences out of these two products? Did you try both and find one more benificial than the other? Do they actually do anything at all that you could say definitely made a difference?

My camper is just under a quarter full and I want to fill it right up. This will be the second total fill up, I’ve only had the van three weeks. After the previous (first) fill up to full , the engine must have gone through three regens. Reading here it suggests that these adatives could reduce the amount of regens from a full tank.

Thanks for any advice given.

Rick.

Last edited:
I've often thought about this type of stuff but just never got around to trying it. I think I'm kind of put off by the fact that whenever the subject has one of it's fairly regular resurrections, the votes seem to be split equally between either 'for' as they're the best thing since sliced bread giving increased fuel consumption and generally making things run better or 'against' as they're snake oil.

Back