France city centre camping

I’ve just booked to go through the tunnel.
I was trying to work out the class of vehicle for the van on the ferry. Large car or van. Large car was £119 with the risk of being charged extra as a van upon embarkation.
Tunnel-put the reg number in, identifies it as a T6, first question asks if it’s a campervan. And £118. No ambiguity, save a full pound and it takes 35 minutes.
Booked!

I’ve just booked to go through the tunnel.
I was trying to work out the class of vehicle for the van on the ferry. Large car or van. Large car was £119 with the risk of being charged extra as a van upon embarkation.
Tunnel-put the reg number in, identifies it as a T6, first question asks if it’s a campervan. And £118. No ambiguity, save a full pound and it takes 35 minutes.
Booked!
I seem to remember having the same issue hence we booked the tunnel too but it was booked in 2020 so hopefully won’t have any issue when we eventually get to use the crossing this summer

Looking to book ahead of champions league final to watch Liverpool if they don’t go through we’re going in August so is transferable. Want to take my son over for the experience so ideally drive over and stay in van somewhere close to city centre

Looking to book ahead of champions league final to watch Liverpool if they don’t go through we’re going in August so is transferable. Want to take my son over for the experience so ideally drive over and stay in van somewhere close to city centre
Jeez, for the benefit of the non-footballers, which bloomin city?

Tunnel for us next week only a few quid more than a car.
I reckon you’ll face disruption

We have booked to stay here in the summer. About 30mins on the train to central Paris. Obviously not been there yet and there is closer sites to the city which may suit you better but those are more touring sites and got a riverside pitch here so this one looked better for us

Also looked at this place but didn’t like the reviews (close to road, noisy etc)

My advice... Don’t go to Paris.
Horrible place, full of Parisians who would rather walk through you than move to pass, parking is a nightmare, you won’t leave unscathed, and if it rains, all the underpasses turn into impassable sewers.
Go to Ypres instead, stay at the Camping Jeugstadion and go see the last post at the Menin Gate, a far more civilised experience.

My advice... Don’t go to Paris.
Horrible place, full of Parisians who would rather walk through you than move to pass, parking is a nightmare, you won’t leave unscathed, and if it rains, all the underpasses turn into impassable sewers.
Go to Ypres instead, stay at the Camping Jeugstadion and go see the last post at the Menin Gate, a far more civilised experience.
I would actually agree with that but the kids want to go so being forced. I’m hoping I can get away with sitting on the campsite eating and drinking

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
I'm doing my first drive into France in July. Is the tunnel best? Need to get to Calais for the TdF then to Epernay for the fizz, then Zurich for Kiss and back to the Alps for more TdF.
Any tips for the train/boat or Aires against campsites?

I'm doing my first drive into France in July. Is the tunnel best? Need to get to Calais for the TdF then to Epernay for the fizz, then Zurich for Kiss and back to the Alps for more TdF.
Any tips for the train/boat or Aires against campsites?
The tunnel is great going from UK to France but the queues at Calais are monumental and have caused us to miss our scheduled train for the last 3-4 years even though we arrive 2 hrs before departure. We’ve given up with it so now book the tunnel out and a ferry coming back, providing the weather is ok the ferries run like clockwork.

We left the uk 2 weeks ago on a 5 week trip using the tunnel both ways primarily as we take our dog. We had no delays at all on the way out. We are currently making our way slowly along the Loire. The weather is fantastic and no need to book ahead for campsites. We purposely chose April and May to avoid school holidays and also benefit from off peak site fees.
I would also say avoid Paris as in my experience the traffic is terrible all the time.

Paris is generally a sh.. hole in my experience so thanks. Steering well clear.

Just got back from two weeks in France, euro tunnel was great, £250 return, although could have got it cheaper if we travelled earlier or later.
We stayed for two nights in Paris, at Camp in the heart of Paris - Paris campsite it is in the low emission zone area so needed a Crit Air, which was easy to get before we travelled. 3 miles form the Eifel Tower, 20 euros by taxi to the centre for a night out. For sight seeing we cycled, which is the best way of getting round, as the cycle infrastructure is really good, with many roads now closed to traffic and turned into cycle lanes.

Other cities:

Camping Versailles is good, Versailles campsite - A nature break near Paris - Huttopia, two miles from the palace, and also not far from the station if you want to use it for a base to explore Paris. Again cycled, to get around, although no local restaurants, just local shops.

Camping Nantes is really good - Home - Nantes Camping and plenty to see and do in the City.

The tunnel is great going from UK to France but the queues at Calais are monumental and have caused us to miss our scheduled train for the last 3-4 years even though we arrive 2 hrs before departure. We’ve given up with it so now book the tunnel out and a ferry coming back, providing the weather is ok the ferries run like clockwork.
IMHO, the tunnel is a far more civilised experience than the ferry. We've been using it for a long time now and have never had any issue with traffic on the Calais side. We generally stay somewhere close the night before coming home and also leave ourselves plenty of time to get to the terminal which has always ended up with us being put on an earlier train. Traffic on the UK side has often been problematic as our drive involves the M25 etc. but, again, we tend to stay somewhere close(ish) to the terminal and book an morning train so the traffic has never impacted on the actual departure time - again, we generally arrive in enough time for them to just stick us on an earlier than booked train.

Also, we're all different but I just can't understand why so many people seem to have such a downer on Paris. As cities go, it's a lovely place with a lot to offer. I've foolishly done it in the past but nowadays would never consider trying to drive through the centre but there's really no need as the public transport system does the job.

Back