Footwell lighting

Deaky

Life’s too short to drink shite beer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I decided to add some more footwell lights behind the seats today and change where they all connect. There are no readymade cut outs on the seat plastics so I had to cut my own

EA3B541D-F1FA-46AE-B2CE-712EF094B7C8.jpeg

The lights came with a template, I cut it with my Dremmel then the light clipped in.

9ECFF5FF-BF26-458C-AC22-EE76D941DDCE.jpeg

When I fitted the lights to the front footwells I connected them to the courtesy light circuit under the dash board. This means you can’t turn them off and I didn’t want the inside of the van lighting up like a Christmas tree when I’m camping and need a pee. I decided to modify the existing courtesy light and connect the new footwel lights to its switch so I can switch off all the courtesy lights while camping.

D67766F8-3735-4F58-978E-32C461F54B16.jpeg

I identified the connections on the light that I needed with a multimeter and soildered a connector to the back of the light. Then I measured out a loom from the light to the a pillar then split it to run down to the front foot well and over the top of the door and down the b pillar to the seat base.

Now I can turn the footwell lights on constant or off using the original switch on the courtesy light.

9429D059-7FC0-4511-BDA2-D973939A5E73.jpeg

I decided to add some more footwell lights behind the seats today and change where they all connect.
When I fitted the lights to the front footwells I connected them to the courtesy light circuit under the dash board.. I decided to modify the existing courtesy light and connect the new footwell lights to its switch so I can switch off all the courtesy lights while camping.

I identified the connections on the light that I needed with a multimeter and soldered a connector to the back of the light. Then I measured out a loom from the light to the A-pillar then split it to run down to the front footwell and over the top of the door and down the B-pillar to the seat base.

Now I can turn the footwell lights on constant or off using the original switch on the courtesy light.

@Deaky so, am I correct in saying that
the footwell lights are no longer connected to the courtesy light circuit
but a completely new circuit altogether,
that being switched by the cab ceiling light?

@Deaky so, am I correct in saying that
the footwell lights are no longer connected to the courtesy light circuit
but a completely new circuit altogether,
that being switched by the cab ceiling light?

They’re still connected to the courtesy light circuit but after the cab light switch, so think of them wired to the bulb in the cab light. If I switch the cab light on from the switch, the footwell lights come on too. Similarly, if I turn the cab light of while I’m camping, the footwell lights are off.

They’re still connected to the courtesy light circuit but after the cab light switch, so think of them wired to the bulb in the cab light. If I switch the cab light on from the switch, the footwell lights come on too. Similarly, if I turn the cab light of while I’m camping, the footwell lights are off.
I think I get you now. Think. Hah.

Cheers mate, appreciated.

The lights came with a template, I cut it with my Dremmel then the light clipped in.

View attachment 15786

When I fitted the lights to the front footwells I connected them to the courtesy light circuit under the dash board. This means you can’t turn them off and I didn’t want the inside of the van lighting up like a Christmas tree when I’m camping and need a pee. I decided to modify the existing courtesy light and connect the new footwel lights to its switch so I can switch off all the courtesy lights while camping.

View attachment 15787

I identified the connections on the light that I needed with a multimeter and soildered a connector to the back of the light. Then I measured out a loom from the light to the a pillar then split it to run down to the front foot well and over the top of the door and down the b pillar to the seat base.

View attachment 15788

Is it possible splice into the adapter loom rather than solder onto the PCB? Which wire should the ground be taken from?

Is it possible splice into the adapter loom rather than solder onto the PCB? Which wire should the ground be taken from?
If you splice into the loom you will not be able to switch the footwell lights on or off with the switch on the cab light. Brown/red is -ve

There is an OEM way to connect the footwell lights so they are independent of the courtesy lights, but we need a BCM admap and autos an from someone who has OEM factory ambient lighting package

Is the BCM adpmap from a 69 plate Caravelle Exec any good?

Attachments

• adpmap-09-7E0-937-090-D-20200107-2002.CSV
    8.8 KB · Views: 41
  • blockmap-09-7E0-937-090-D-20200107-2001.CSV
    3.9 KB · Views: 21
Is the BCM adpmap from a 69 plate Caravelle Exec any good?
Thanks for this I’ll have a look through
Does this have the factory ambient lighting (in the door cards etc)?

Hi Adams,
Sorry no I don't have VCP or anything similar. Only have VCDS. Do you have access to VCP and how desperate are you for it. I see that you are in Cheshire. My main client is Cokebusters who are on the Broughton BAE site. Go there every 4 to 6 weeks and normally stay overnight. So could give you access.

Hi Adams,
Sorry no I don't have VCP or anything similar. Only have VCDS. Do you have access to VCP and how desperate are you for it. I see that you are in Cheshire. My main client is Cokebusters who are on the Broughton BAE site. Go there every 4 to 6 weeks and normally stay overnight. So could give you access.
That would be brilliant, yes I’m in Warrington so only about 20 mins from there. Let me know when your next due over and I’ll come meet up :thumbsup:

I decided to add some more footwell lights behind the seats today and change where they all connect. There are no readymade cut outs on the seat plastics so I had to cut my own

View attachment 15785

View attachment 15786

View attachment 15787

View attachment 15788
@Deaky what sort of lights have you used for your rear footwell lighting?

Back