Floor Rails... Worth It?

Louise and Vinny

Hi!
We have a blank canvas and are discussing the pros and cons of fitting floor rails so we can move the seat/bed forward and back. We've heard they're a real hassle to fit and we want to know whether there's an easier product to fit or even if they are worth the hassle? Any recommendations?

I’m constantly moving my rock ‘n roll forward and back, to allow me to transport stuff in the boot. Considering you’ll need to get under the van to bolt the bed down, I don’t see any reason as to why a bed on rails will be more hassle to install. Granted the labour cost will be a little higher as larger holes will be cut out of your floor.

What you do lose with a bed on rails, however, is the ability to fix items underneath it (such as a heater, ICE or water tank).

Mine is a VW two-seater Cali bed on rails.
I paid Kernow Transporters £2760 for a second-hand bed with new rails, new plastics and two heated captains seats.
I installed the rails on my drive and had the lot upholstered to (a non-VW colour scheme of) burgundy faux-leather.

If I hadn’t have chosen the Cali 2-seater, then I’d have probably gone for the Smartbed Revolution solely for the ability to move it.

Good luck!

Ditto. I have the Cali set up and find it enables the van to be so flexible. You can remove it fully if you need to and add a 5th seat like I do. You also have the additional storage space under the rear shelf, which is very useful too.
Reupholstering to match is also straight forward as it’s a standard VW seat template.
Mine was also a DIY install as I like things right for me but there are companies that will fit for you.
I believe the VW set up is also TUV approved.

Is it a LWB or SWB?
I’d say that in a LWB the rails are essential & in a SWB a “nice to have”.
If you have swivels on the front seats, you need to be able to slide the rear seat forward in order to sit 4 people round a table to eat in a LWB. It’s also more sociable if you have people traveling in the back if you can roll the seat forward, otherwise conversion is a tad strained.

We also fit REIMO 3000 seat systems, more expensive than CAli seats but come in all widths, 3 seater etc. and would of course be brand new.

Thanks
Ian

Simple answer, YES. Having a SWB it gives us the ability to have a decent boot when required and having the rear seat forward when travelling gives easy access to the little one when she needs something.

Yes, yes, yes. Rails transform the flexibility of the van with a rock and roll bed. Have a wee look at the pictures I've put on this thread. Gives an idea of what can be done. Smart Bed Evolution R, custom length rails in a LWB. You can also lift the whole bed out if you need your 'van' back.

T6 Shuttle Conversion

Hi!
We have a blank canvas and are discussing the pros and cons of fitting floor rails so we can move the seat/bed forward and back. We've heard they're a real hassle to fit and we want to know whether there's an easier product to fit or even if they are worth the hassle? Any recommendations?

I've just had Uberbus fit me a RIB bed on OEM California rails for flexibility.

It was the first thing on my shopping list and a MUST have !
I'm a MY18 LWB van
LWB rail system
SWB conversion

Well it will be when I finish it

Now the bed and floor are in I'm even more impressed with it than I was looking at folks vans at shows. OEM rails are worlds apart IMO from anything else on market
No stubbing your toe on the rail
No rubbish gets in there
Oh and they look fantastic too

I've still had water and waste tanks under-slung drivers side
I've still got room behind spare wheel for a BBQ gas tank

I had a Wallis Duo fitted cooker and heater combined, WHAT a bit of kit that is !!!!!!

IN MY OPINION

I’m constantly moving my rock ‘n roll forward and back, to allow me to transport stuff in the boot. Considering you’ll need to get under the van to bolt the bed down, I don’t see any reason as to why a bed on rails will be more hassle to install. Granted the labour cost will be a little higher as larger holes will be cut out of your floor.

What you do lose with a bed on rails, however, is the ability to fix items underneath it (such as a heater, ICE or water tank).

Mine is a VW two-seater Cali bed on rails.
I paid Kernow Transporters £2760 for a second-hand bed with new rails, new plastics and two heated captains seats.
I installed the rails on my drive and had the lot upholstered to (a non-VW colour scheme of) burgundy faux-leather.

If I hadn’t have chosen the Cali 2-seater, then I’d have probably gone for the Smartbed Revolution solely for the ability to move it.

Good luck!
That's relly sound advice. We appreciate it. Thanks.

Is it a LWB or SWB?
I’d say that in a LWB the rails are essential & in a SWB a “nice to have”.
If you have swivels on the front seats, you need to be able to slide the rear seat forward in order to sit 4 people round a table to eat in a LWB. It’s also more sociable if you have people traveling in the back if you can roll the seat forward, otherwise conversion is a tad strained.
Thanks. great advice.

Simple answer, YES. Having a SWB it gives us the ability to have a decent boot when required and having the rear seat forward when travelling gives easy access to the little one when she needs something.
So my husband was right! He will love this post!
Thank you so much for your advice!

Ditto. I have the Cali set up and find it enables the van to be so flexible. You can remove it fully if you need to and add a 5th seat like I do. You also have the additional storage space under the rear shelf, which is very useful too.
Reupholstering to match is also straight forward as it’s a standard VW seat template.
Mine was also a DIY install as I like things right for me but there are companies that will fit for you.
I believe the VW set up is also TUV approved.
I feel really stupid asking this and my husband will probs roll his eyes at me but a lot of your lingo is over my head. I'm only new to this... I really appreciate your advice but would you please be able to break it down for a non-linguist??? I haven't a clue about TUVs, rear shelves... I know I'll come across as dumb but I want us to get it right first time and with so many experts out there there's no reason why we shouldn't... apart from my ignorance!

TUV = https://www.justrite.com/media/techtalk/TT-TUV-meaning-approvals.pdf
Basically the German equivalent of British Standard or the Kite Mark. It gives an indication of the suitability of an item for its intended purpose. A TUV approved item (in our case rear seat/bed) has been tested & approved as fit for purpose. This is an expensive process & is reflected in the price of the item. You can buy non-approved beds/seats which may be perfectly engineered & fit for purpose, or they may be a death trap, you pays your money & takes your choice. Other standards are available, but TUV is one of the highest standards.

I haven't a clue about TUVs, rear shelves... !

If you look at a Cali bed, it’s made up of 2 parts. The actual rear seat that moves up and down the rails and folds down into 2/3rd of the bed. The other 3rd is the rear “parcel shelf”, which sits behind the seat and has its own mattress / cushion. Great for storage on top and underneath when not in use. Google it

Been looking at getting a rail bed. And it it looks like i have a choice of....

Reimo varotech 3000. Rolls royce at a rolls royve price of approx uk 5100+vat in uk, or 4700euro inc from germany.

Cambee flex 118 uk 5350. But have to be fitted in cornwall?

Titan 3900 inc. uses caravelle rails.

Smartbeds evolution R 2900 inc.

I am not a tycoon so considering titan or smartbeds.

Would love to hear your experiences / opinions. Comfort? Ease of use? Build quality?

Hi,
Can't tell you much about the rail beds but I did go to Titan Beds with an open mind to ordering one, really smart looking units but I opted for the fixed bed in the end. The build and finish quality was very good. Cannot praise Titan beds enough, gave us loads of time, cups of tea even placed a three seat bed in the back of the van so that we could check the clearances. Well worth a call, really helpful people.
Cheers Happy Trails

Bought a Reimo Variotech 3000 1205mm wide on bonded rails last month for our LWB van.
It’s excellent, really high quality and does exactly what we wanted it to.
I wanted a seat that would roll all the way from the front to to back, this one does lots don’t.
Others only have a handful of locking travel positions, there are seven on the LWB and five on the SWB.
The big things to check out are the seat height and the headroom. My mate bought the RIB seat on caravelle rails, I am 6’ and my feet dangle in midair on his seat, my head touches the roof and he has a pop top with good height in the back.
If you can it’s really useful to visit a show like the NEC one to try the various seats out in vans.
Won’t argue that it’s a really big chunk of cash but it is well made and we plan to keep the van for years.
If you have any specific questions about the 3000 happy to help if I can

Well I fimally made my choice my and paid my deposit. Visited NEC last week and Titan today. Ordered rail bed.

So two NEC trips and a year to decide.

Did not like price of Reimo and did not like rail system. VW rail system, which is used in Titan seems "the best".

Lets see how it all pans out. High hopes after seeing operation. Watch this space.

Back