Flat Bottom Steering Wheel Comparability - T6 Highline, Manual 2016 Non Dsg

Discussion in 'Interiors, Seating, Lining' started by xswind, 12 Sep 2018.

1. xswind

xswind Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Good morning guys,

I have been reading a fair few threads on which flat bottomed steering wheel I can put onto my T6 Highline (Manual)

My current steering wheel is the standard highline with the cruse control on stalks.

Am I right in thinking that any VW flat bottomed steering wheel will fit as long as the MFSW control match what i have now?
    I have seen a wheel that looks the same as mine button wise and its described as a VW JETTA PASSAT CADDY STEERING WHEEL - Multi function

I am pretty tech savvy and handy on the spanners so is it a hard task to swap over the electrics and more importantly the airbag parts?

Anything I should be wary of?

Thanks again.
    XS

2. Dellmassive

Dellmassive 204 T32 DSG LWB SPORTLINE PV MY18 VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    we had a golf GTI flat bottom with flappy padles fitted once.

the splines and fitting at the top were a direct swap . . . The airbag come with the new wheel.

but the 2 modules in the steering wheel didnt match up electrically. . . . . None of the MFSW button worked, including the horn.

we ended up having to get a new clock spring loom and adding an additional wire or two to the BCM. (LIN bus and power from memory)

Ive seen other members on here with steering wheel swaps . . . . . . lets see what they say.

FYI: dealing with airbags can be dangerous . . . . . so follow the precautions to the letter. (disconnect the battery fully, leave for couple hours, never probe the yellow connectors or wires, never leave them face down, etc etc etc. . . . you dont want an unexpected airbag deployment!)

here was our T5.1 one . . . . .

20.jpg

Last edited: 12 Sep 2018
  3. Thehawks

Thehawks Member

Map
    Hi XS,
    I’m not too sure about the answer to your question but I’m looking to fit a standard highline steering wheel to a trendline van. If you’re selling your highline wheel I may we’ll be interested. Cheers

upload_2018-9-12_9-13-35.png

4. foggy3061

foggy3061 Member VCDS User VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    Have a read through here:

steering wheel

If you get a MFSW with the same button layout as your own and a same generation then it's pretty straight forward.

You will probably need to use your original MFSW loom inside the new wheel to get everything to work correctly.

I did exactly that with a passat MFSW and it was plug and play with the original steering wheel loom.

5. Phil Harris

Phil Harris Senior Member T6 Pro

Love this one on Vanworx anniversary van

8F50ED9D-73BE-4A36-9483-897001C8AA2F.jpeg

6. xswind

Thanks chaps, much appreciate the advice.

If I get a bare wheel then I guess I can swap everything from my current wheel Inc all the electrics?

7. foggy3061

foggy3061 Member VCDS User VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    Yes, if you get a new wheel with the same shape airbag and switch binacle (or blank frame), you can swap your current layout into the new wheel.

xswind likes this.
  8. xswind

Thank you again chaps.