Flat Bottom Steering Wheel Comparability - T6 Highline, Manual 2016 Non Dsg

xswind

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Good morning guys,

I have been reading a fair few threads on which flat bottomed steering wheel I can put onto my T6 Highline (Manual)

My current steering wheel is the standard highline with the cruse control on stalks.

Am I right in thinking that any VW flat bottomed steering wheel will fit as long as the MFSW control match what i have now?
I have seen a wheel that looks the same as mine button wise and its described as a VW JETTA PASSAT CADDY STEERING WHEEL - Multi function

I am pretty tech savvy and handy on the spanners so is it a hard task to swap over the electrics and more importantly the airbag parts?

Anything I should be wary of?

Thanks again.
XS

we had a golf GTI flat bottom with flappy padles fitted once.

the splines and fitting at the top were a direct swap . . . The airbag come with the new wheel.

but the 2 modules in the steering wheel didnt match up electrically. . . . . None of the MFSW button worked, including the horn.

we ended up having to get a new clock spring loom and adding an additional wire or two to the BCM. (LIN bus and power from memory)

I've seen other members on here with steering wheel swaps . . . . . . lets see what they say.

FYI: dealing with airbags can be dangerous . . . . . so follow the precautions to the letter. (disconnect the battery fully, leave for couple hours, never probe the yellow connectors or wires, never leave them face down, etc etc etc. . . . you dont want an unexpected airbag deployment!)

here was our T5.1 one . . . . .

20.jpg

Last edited:
Hi XS,
I’m not too sure about the answer to your question but I’m looking to fit a standard highline steering wheel to a trendline van. If you’re selling your highline wheel I may we’ll be interested. Cheers

upload_2018-9-12_9-13-35.png

Have a read through here:

steering wheel

If you get a MFSW with the same button layout as your own and a same generation then it's pretty straight forward.

You will probably need to use your original MFSW loom inside the new wheel to get everything to work correctly.

I did exactly that with a passat MFSW and it was plug and play with the original steering wheel loom.

View media item 1069

Thanks chaps, much appreciate the advice.

If I get a bare wheel then I guess I can swap everything from my current wheel Inc all the electrics?

Thanks chaps, much appreciate the advice.

If I get a bare wheel then I guess I can swap everything from my current wheel Inc all the electrics?

Yes, if you get a new wheel with the same shape airbag and switch binacle (or blank frame), you can swap your current layout into the new wheel.

Back