1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

steering wheel

Discussion in 'Interiors, Seating, Lining' started by StudleyGlass, 14 Oct 2016.

1. StudleyGlass

StudleyGlass 150 DSG Kombi Highline Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    I really fancy a mk7 golf dsg steering wheel as raceline fit to there t6 vans , i am not a fan of the highline wheel at all. I wondered if anyone has ever messed with changing wheels, i dont no if the wires/plugs are there for a straight swap but it cant be much of a job if raceline do it ?
    golf-r-dsg-wheel.jpg

gcoops, Tom, andythom188 and 2 others like this.
  2. RattyMcClelland

RattyMcClelland Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

I can only assume it's flat at the bottom to make room for my t6 erection.

3. superflyguy

superflyguy Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    I cant really see much difference from the highline wheel apart from the bottom allowing room for a portly midriff .

4. surf-report

surf-report Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    :fast rofl:

Sosarge likes this.
  5. Pauly

Pauly Senior Member Admin Moderator VCDS User

Map
    and it has paddle shift !!

Chrisfraser05 likes this.
  6. StudleyGlass

Map
    £1200 fitted with dsg paddles at raceline but i image the wheel is half that from vw, and it should just bolt on, as the steering wheel controls are there and if they fit it with paddles i assume the connections are there for that too. I will have to get a price on the wheel from vw first

7. mhill

mhill Senior Member VCDS User VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    I got a price form TPS and it was silly they do come up cheep on eBay though.
    No idea on fitting though.

8. StudleyGlass

Map
    How much was the wheel then @mhill ?

9. Meuk

Meuk New Member VIP Member

Map
    Have you tried Matt at Vagnostics?

StudleyGlass likes this.
  10. StudleyGlass

Map
    No I have not tried anyone really @Meuk . There are a couple of company's that will do it. I as just seeing if anyone had and info on doing it .I will get it done when the combi arrives , its on the list with lots more mods :)

11. Smiffy

Smiffy Member T6 Pro

Have you checked on Facebook there's a local company T5upgrades who will come to you and change it, heard nothing but good things and reasonable prices

StudleyGlass likes this.
  12. Smiffy

Smiffy Member T6 Pro

13. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Grape Yellow Beach VIP Member T6 Legend

I doubt there are many wires to connect or they would be getting wrapped up when you turned the wheel, more like fingers on there to touch. I'd be more worried about connecting the airbag

14. StudleyGlass

Map
    I will give VW R-LINE MULTI FUNCTION STEERING WHEEL they have them at the right price and i can ask them advice on fitting it myself , i have seen a couple of youtubes on it, looks straight forward :unsure:

15. carlg

carlg 204 DSG Highline Kombi MY17 VIP Member T6 Guru

@StudleyGlass ,I swapped my multi function wheel on my T5.1 for a mfsw with paddle shift .
    It was a straight swop paddles worked
    Only thing with golf wheel is you have to buy it complete with air bag as the T6 one won't fit .
    After the novelty wore off I hardly used the paddles .

StudleyGlass likes this.
  16. StudleyGlass

Map
    @carlg the price is for the complete wheel with airbag, im not to bothered about paddles really as you say the novelty will wear off.
    should be no problems to fit then :)

When you getting your bus then ??

17. carlg

carlg 204 DSG Highline Kombi MY17 VIP Member T6 Guru

You will need a torx bit to remove wheel
    But straight forward .
    Hopefully getting mine in the next two weeks .

StudleyGlass likes this.
  18. HHO

HHO Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    I tried to have paddles retro fitted to my previous 2013 Touran DSG. VW said not possible, non approved retro fit. Unofficially, it's totally possible, but parts are expensive. Didn't bother in the end 'cus Transporter cravings began to kick in big time.

19. Markey

Markey Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    Just kickstarting up this thread again incase anyones interested

I had the Mk7 wheel fitted by the race line boys to my T5, bloomin awesome to be honest....Drop down 2 gears (tap tap) and floor it ---- Outstanding

The van needs to be DSG to start with for the flappy paddles to work and really is plug and play, Large Torx in the centre and 2 connections to be made (SIMPLES!)

Watched him do it and will definitely do the upgrade myself on the new T6 when she arrives

Regarding the controls on it though, all worked perfect for me as they were the same as my highline controls, Noticed some of the new Highline's have the Cruise control on the wheel rather than the stalk so i need to wait till the van arrives before making the purchase to get the right one

Will pick a nice one up on eBay for around £500 :D

HHO and Fish like this.
  20. StudleyGlass

Map
    As you say the new t6 highline has the cruise control on the wheel, which i prefer. So i am happy with my new one. I may swap it in the future as i like the look of R wheel

HHO likes this.