Fixing ceiling panel

gabjam

Hi all, very new to this and need a bit of advice!

Bought a 2016 T6 last week and the seller assured us he had fixed all the little problems with it. Turns out, he hadn't fixed any of them. One of the lesser problems is the ceiling panel above the main compartment - it's hanging off with a load of glue/sealant between the panel and the insulation. The insulation looks to be silver and glossy, which is why I think it hasn't stuck. The panel also flexes so if its held up against the ceiling it then 'pings' back. There's also a little foam cube between the panel and the ceiling that appears to have been pulled off as well.

How would I go about fastening this back in place? Evidently the sealant they used didn't work! Any help appreciated - we're totally new to this.

IMG-20200819-WA0000.jpg

The front part of that panel should be held in place by the plastic trim in the picture. Is this a converted panel van? If the van has had a bulk head removed then the original roof panel would be too short

The front part of that panel should be held in place by the plastic trim in the picture. Is this a converted panel van? If the van has had a bulk head removed then the original roof panel would be too short

Brill thanks, so this could be a replacement panel job then? It was an old panel van - was a standard tradie van before conversion.

This "new, high-quality conversion" has already cost plenty in repairs/dodgy electrics as it is so that's more good news if it needs a new panel :cautious:

Bought a 2016 T6 last week and the seller assured us he had fixed all the little problems with it. Turns out, he hadn't fixed any of them. One of the lesser problems is the ceiling panel above the main compartment - it's hanging off with a load of glue/sealant between the panel and the insulation. The insulation looks to be silver and glossy, which is why I think it hasn't stuck. The panel also flexes so if its held up against the ceiling it then 'pings' back. There's also a little foam cube between the panel and the ceiling that appears to have been pulled off as well.

How would I go about fastening this back in place? Evidently the sealant they used didn't work! Any help appreciated - we're totally new to this.

View attachment 82011
What @jimc91 said, your van would have had a bulkhead originally so the roof panel is designed to be held up by that. Best way to fix it is to source a panel from a van without a bulkhead and fit that in place of what you have. The correct panel will be held in place by the plastic retaining strip that's holding the roof lining in place.

Or get some 3.6 mm ply and use the old one as a template but just make it a bit longer, you only need a jig saw, then cover with something; carpet or headline material

What @jimc91 said, your van would have had a bulkhead originally so the roof panel is designed to be held up by that. Best way to fix it is to source a panel from a van without a bulkhead and fit that in place of what you have. The correct panel will be held in place by the plastic retaining strip that's holding the roof lining in place.

Perfect thank you, I'll have a look around see if I can get hold of one!

Or get some 3.6 mm ply and use the old one as a template but just make it a bit longer, you only need a jig saw, then cover with something; carpet or headline material
that's a good shout actually, probably more cost effective!

mine had a metal plate there to fix rear roof lining on as it was lower than cab ceiling, had those sponge blocks also.

What did you use to fit the panel back up with please? Is there anything alternative to the plastic clips? I’m looking for a black industrial kind of look or gold. Any suggestions please?
I used clips from Harrison’s I think, they are like the original ones but slightly longer

When I converted my last van from panel to kombi , I glued a strip of thin hardboard about 3 cm thick overlapping end of original panel . This then tucks under the plastic trim between the two panels .
Probably not explained that very well .....
Cheap and looks fine , lasted fine .

View attachment 82011
I have the same problem, been looking on here since 7am - finally found a solution. Thanks

Back