DIY kitchen extractor fan --How I done it --

TWB-Mark

Camper Hire
T6 Pro
I tend to use my van for 2-3 days at a time each week, 365 days a year and this time of year condensation is a real issue, especially when cooking on propane which releases moisture as well as any steam from cooking. So I've been looking into active ventilation and was inspired by @TrevorK 's picture of a DIY extractor fan for the sliding side window. I bought a few bits on amazon and using an old piece of acrylic board I've put together a DIY kitchen extractor fan. Incase anyone's interested here's some pictures and details from the build.
Before we dive in my goals were:
1. It has to be very quiet - think the occassional bit of stealth camping.
2. It has to be water tight and something I'm happy to leave in all the time.
3. It has to be something that can be removed and leave the van exactly as I found it - no holes drilled and nothing bonded in place.
4. It has to be secure/safe.

IMG_20221004_181540_890-cropped.jpg
Image 1: Cut the perspex/acrylic sheet to match the window pane. With a bit of flex it fits into the window runners on the top,left and bottom edges so its held in place. The sliding window is then butted up against it in a locked position so there is no way for the acrylic sheet to come out. Note the acrylic sheet already had a hole drilled in it. But I didn't have any to spare so I will plug that hole (top left) later... oh yes and it's white! - spray paint needed! But you get the idea... it's a snug fit that isn't going anywhere and matches the profile/curve of the window.

IMG_20221004_181619_494-cropped.jpg
Image 2: Closeup of the bottom left corner. I got lucky because the acrylic sheet was only about 1/2mm thicker than the window.

IMG_20221006_124134_465-cropped.jpg
Image 3: OK from left to right anti-clockwise. We've got 20mm outdoor flexible conduit. A conduit box and an inline 12v toggle switch which I've alrady sprayed black and switch fitted. A 12v variable voltage regulator which allows you to dial down the voltage and thus change the speed of the fan. A silent ultra thin (14mm) 92mm diameter 12v computer fan. End terminals for the conduite to attach to the condiut box. PS. The fan is masked up with clingfilm because I'll be spraying it black but its not a good idea to spray paint the blades as any uneven paint deposition may imbalance the fan which will create noise, friction and harm the very delicate bearings. The conduit is left over from a previous job but I love the heavy industrial look it gives. That's just my taste ;)

IMG_20221006_141750_264-cropped.jpg
Image 4: OK so now the parts are sprayed I'm on to assembly. The conduit box was glued to the acrylic (I sanded away the spray paint from the bonding surfaces). The four rubber fan mounts are similarly bonded in place.
PS. Yes you may have noticed that some of the straight line cuts are a little wafty. I only had a hand jigsaw and the one piece of acrylic which had already been cut years before so some of its edges were not great. However this is a "Prototype" so at this stage I'm just playing with an idea and having a bit of fun in the process... who doesn't enjoy a DIY project? (AKA. grown up lego) ;) Overall - so far so good but will it work???

Now one of the problems (ne challenges) is that there is a slight curve in the real window and so the thick strip you see next to the fan will serve two purposes. 1. to bridge the join between glass window and acrylic sheet. 2. To force the acrylic sheet to bend to match the window. That's also what the semi-circle piece is for. It will go in the lower corner on the inside to pull the botten edge of this thick strip. it will make more sense in the coming pictures...

IMG_20221006_152014_849-cropped.jpg
Image 5: Wiring it all together... Before I finish putting it together I'm wiring it up. Out of shot the power supply comes from a 12v cigarette lighter socket. I had a spare plug which I had cut off an 12v socket extension. So that worked out nicely and provides the inline fuse too.

IMG_20221007_160901_837-cropped.jpg
Image 6: OK so what we're looking at here is my dish cloth. But on top of that is the outer strip and what I've done is lined the perimeter with a continuous strip of self-adhessive 8mm door insulation foam. Perhaps you can see at the bottom that the start and end of the foam overlap to form a seal. The diagonal strips deliberately do not reach the edges of the outer strip, to allow air flow. The point of this is to prevent wind/rain from getting behind this piece as it will cover the join between the acrylic inlay and the sliding window, which is locked in place.

IMG_20221007_181432_067-cropped.jpg
Image 7: Assembled with a round 100mm diameter metal vent cover which fits (thankfully) neatly between the vertical strip (see image 6) and the edge of the window.

IMG_20221007_181623_991-cropped.jpg
Image 8: OK so here's the view from the inside. You'll notice I've added two poppers to the curtain which fasten to the assembly so that I can close the curtains around it and maintain my privacy. I personally love the chunky industrial vibe about this. The inside vent is as high as I want to go, any higher and its behind the upper cupboards, any lower and its blocked by the glass lid of the hobs. The fan itself is nearly silent. When I turn the voltage down it is almost impossible to hear but still extracts. When I turn it up to full speed you can hear it but most of the noise is simply air being forced out of the vent covers. I'm very pleased with how it functions.

That's all folks it seems to work better than I expected but I've yet to test it in anger... off camping next week so I will keep you posted if you're interested. Thanks again TrevorK for planting the seed of an idea :)

Awesome build! Love it! I’ll be doing something similar soon.

Now you’ve lived with it for a month or so, what have you learnt?

Hi @ferreira thanks for the feedback!
Well it's working really well. I leave it on 24/7 on low setting which is almost silent and then crank it up when I'm cooking. Then it makes a little bit of a hum... but nothing too distracting.
I would class it as a ventilation aide. When the moka coffee is bubbling away or I'm boiling water then it can't really keep up with that kind of steam and you'd need a proper overhead extraction fan. But because it can be left running all the time, in the balance, it's helping keep condensation down a bit which is what I wanted.
What I've noticed... it gets notices when I'm driving down the motorway, I have other VWs pulling alongside to try and figure it out! ha ha. I love the look of it :)
The other consideration is you need to be careful when washing the vehicle because if you aimed upwards with a jet wash you would get water in but it's not been a problem for me. Surprisingly, and this is having driven through some horrendous weather, there's no sign of water leaking in, even through the vents... so I'm really pleased.
Was it worthwhile - I think so.
What would I do differently? Not much, perhaps try to find an even more weather proof outer grill, one with deeper cowls etc. Oh and perhaps make better/straighter cuts on a proper jig, rather than doing it by hand. I think the other change would be to go for a gloss finish, as the matt finish perhaps holds dirt/moisture a bit....

The fan is brilliant, it's only 15mm thick and very quiet. The way I've built it, with the fan being mounted on the rubber gromets and the casing being held together by the through bolts means that if the fan wears out (remember its on 24/7) then I can swap it out easily.
Hope this helps and good luck with the build! Can't wait to see the pics ;)

How difficult would it be to add a reverse switch to bring air in? (Eg for the dogs)

How difficult would it be to add a reverse switch to bring air in? (Eg for the dogs)
I think it would be relatively straight forwards, you'd need the right switch and you'd need to make sure the fan can run safe in both directions. A lot of the silent fans though are designed with blades that are very directional, meaning they have a non-uniform profile, often with ridges on the rear edge of the fan blades to cut down turbulence noise. So if you go down this route you may end up with a slightliy noisier fan. Thinking laterally, it might make more sense so have two fans, two holes, just go for smaller diameter fans and place the out one higher up and the in one lower down, so you've got maximum separation.

Dog comfort...
I've found that the best way of bringing in cold air is from under the van, where it's low down and in the shade... but then you're looking at holes cut into the floor potentially. If you have a diesel heater fitted then it may have a cold air blow option, which I use when I leave my dog in the van (only for short periods like quickly nipping into the shop). The amount of air the side extractor shifts is tiny compared to the heavy duty fan of the heating system which makes a racket but really pumps in cold air. I've also got black out curtains and tinted windows, which keep the heat out and leave the front windows open a bit because I have rain guards - which I highly recommend getting. I've also got a solar extractor mounted in the roof which sucks hot air out the van all the time it is sunny. I posted about it a while back so you can probably find a link from my profile. hope this all helps :)
PS. what's your dogs? mine's a blue merle collie - give them a pat on the head from me!

@JOG not sure if you’ve tried the Brandup tailgate bar? It provides very effective convection flow when used with the cracked open cab windows.
It’s a PITA to use but I’ve found a simple and cheap method of engaging it first time every time.
See below.

Here’s a tip for using a Brandup Airsafe (tailgate ventilation bar). I’ve been using it for a while now and it’s a PITA to align with the tailgate lock, best done with two people with one inside positioning the bar and one outside to close the tailgate.
Obviously this only works if;
1. There are two people.
2. There is enough access to reach the area of the tailgate lock.

In order to make this an outside only, one person job I have attached a small cable tie base (superglued) to the tailgate lock.
Anything similar will work.
Next with the Brandup Airsafe bar in place on the van I placed a loop of strong but thin cord around the end of the bar that will engage in the lock. In my case I used 60lb fishing shock leader as it is strong and will not fray.
Both loose cord ends were then passed through the same eye on the cable tie base and tensioned.
Next the tailgate is slowly closed with one arm while tensioning the cord with the other.
This action lifts and aligns the Brandup Airsafe bar perfectly with the lock.
With the lock is engaged one end of the cord can be pulled to remove the cord from the lock.

View attachment 125873View attachment 125875View attachment 125876View attachment 125877View attachment 125878View attachment 125879

Back