First French trip, best location weather wise in September?

Final video from our French road trip. Worse site we stayed at. Was very popular and has many positive reviews but it wasn't for us.

Looks alright, what was wrong with it? Looked like you had a path running down the side of your pitch but the loos looked pretty standard and liked that the showers are in a separate room.

Got to say that site looks pretty good and far better than some of the ones we stayed at in France this year.

There are so many free aires in France with a similar lakeside setting that I’m generally not tempted by the campsites.
What I did notice in your video is a refreshing lack of signage / rules and regulations.

Looks alright, what was wrong with it? Looked like you had a path running down the side of your pitch but the loos looked pretty standard and liked that the showers are in a separate room.
To be fair it looks much better in the video than real life. Had a few seasonal pitches that very run down, odd chalets, the lake area wasn't really very nice. Very old rusty steel bridges across the waterways. Toilets/showes run down. Just didn't get the vibe we were expecting fron all the positive reviews. It was what a call eccentric. Think we'd just been spoiled up to then.20220914_152436.jpg

Last edited:
There are so many free aires in France with a similar lakeside setting that I’m generally not tempted by the campsites.
What I did notice in your video is a refreshing lack of signage / rules and regulations.
TBH that was one of our concerns particularly around the swimming pools (even packed buggie smugglers). Seems out of season there is very little staff (never saw any staff member/life guard at any pool) so you just get on with it. Don't recall seeing that many notice boards regarding rules?

To be fair it looks much better in the video than real life. Had a few seasonal pitches that very run down, odd chalets, the lake area wasn't really very nice. Very old rusty steel bridges across the waterways. Toilets/showes run down. Just didn't get the vibe we were expecting fron all the positive reviews. It was what a call eccentric. Think we'd just been spoiled up to then.
Some of the best sites (in our opinion) that we’ve been on are a bit “left field”. The first time we ventured abroad many moons ago, we were put off by the state of some of the sites. Not particularly dirty, but eccentric. We were used to regimented UK sites with their overload of rules & regs. We found the continentals far more laid back & easygoing. Once you get into the mindset, it’s much more relaxed over the channel imho.

Back