First French trip, best location weather wise in September?

True Romance

204 TDi DSG LWB
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So first of many questions France related. We are planning a trip over to France in the first two weeks of September. Which areas have a better chance of decent weather? Only got two weeks so not sure how far south we can get before having to head back. Hoping to catch the last rays of summer.

Thank you.

As @Sackmycook says, anywhere south of Lyon. After that, it depends on what you want? Vineyards? Surfing? Lakes? Chateaux?
Thanks JOG, that was going to be one of my next questions. Ideally we would like sites with river/lake (to take the dog swimming). Rural but not to small a town/village(s). Great scenery with nice towns/villages to explore. Hopefully with decent weather.

Thanks JOG, that was going to be one of my next questions. Ideally we would like sites with river/lake (to take the dog swimming). Rural but not to small a town/village(s). Great scenery with nice towns/villages to explore. Hopefully with decent weather.
Jeez, you’re not asking for much!

Right, firstly you ought to meander past Lyon rather than go through it! (The traffic is a b*****d! You’re on no rush so why contend with it. Mosey around it, stopping where you fancy. There are some amazing lakeside campsites - I would suggest you look at ukcampsite.Co.uk which has some honest things reviews

Can’t really help with predicting the weather but It’s generally better the further South you go but I would suggest you buy the ASCI camping card book - not only do you get huge discount on the site fees but also a map book listing hundreds of sites all with details and reviews.
We tend to study the book before leaving planning a route based on sites we like the look of and then we make it up as we go along.
The phone app is really useful.

Can’t really help with predicting the weather but It’s generally better the further South you go but I would suggest you buy the ASCI camping card book - not only do you get huge discount on the site fees but also a map book listing hundreds of sites all with details and reviews.
We tend to study the book before leaving planning a route based on sites we like the look of and then we make it up as we go along.
The phone app is really useful.
Already on it.

20220617_161633.jpg

It’s easy to get long distances in France quickly out of season if you use the excellent toll motorways. We drove from inside Spain to St Malo in a day, and arrived at tea time.
if you are willing to do that, then the further South you go, the better the weather.

Pete

We’re going to this Yelloh site in August. Well catered for dogs including a specific lake for them to swim in / cool off. One of the main reasons we selected it. It’s in Gers, not a part of France we’ve visited before, another reason for us to choose it.

Camping Le Lac Des 3 Vallées ***** Yelloh! Village in Lectoure

We have stayed at Yelloh sites before and are really impressed with them.

Agreed. Yelloh sites are always good quality with excellent facilities in our experience. We regularly used them when the kids were younger and we holidayed with Keycamp / Eurocamp. Castels was another good choice.

Reactions: JOG
Sadly that one will be closed during our dates. Surprised at how short the seasons are for French sites??

We are always astounded how the sweaters and coats come out in the South of France immediately after 1st Sept each year, coinciding with all the ski equipment appearing in Decathlon.
It's usually still in the '30's !

So first of many questions France related. We are planning a trip over to France in the first two weeks of September. Which areas have a better chance of decent weather? Only got two weeks so not sure how far south we can get before having to head back. Hoping to catch the last rays of summer.

Thank you.
My advice fwiw:-
You’re in a van, you’re free, the only constraint is time.
Don’t get hung up about booking sites or being in a certain place at a certain time.
Make the journey part of the trip, set your satnav to avoid tolls, you’ll see much more of France, save money, and be more relaxed.
Follow the weather.
In France you are never more than a day & a half from the ferry home.
France is probably the most camper/motor home friendly country in Europe, you can park for free in most towns & villages. Usually there are free loos & water, occasionally a shower too.
Get Park4night, Search for sites, ACSI, and the ACSI CC apps.
Enjoy
Ps, if you get down to Cassis & the Calanques, stunning!

Back