Extra Storage - Trailer? Tow-Bar? Roof-Rack?

Tgooch

Hi, we’re trying to get some extra storage on our T32 to carry our awning and a few other camping bits and bobs. I’ve done some research and it seems like 3 different options, a trailer, a tow bar storage box and roof rack. All 3 seem to have pros and cons but I was wondering if anyone had used any of these and how they got on.

We have a roof box that clips onto a set of roof bars.

Pros.... Fit when you need it, removed when you don't.

Cons, cant get into carparks with hight barriers.
Also need a small ladder to get stuff in and out.
Storing when not needed can be a problem.

We have a Thule towbar mounted cargo box. Much easier to get on and off than a roof box. No extra height restrictions and fits under the bike rack. The photo is of our old bus that had barn doors and not a tailgate. Also fits inside one of the bedrooms of our large awning when not in use. It fits under.
1000008581.jpg
I've also seen cargo boxes mounted tailgate bike rack.
1000001171.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, we’re trying to get some extra storage on our T32 to carry our awning and a few other camping bits and bobs. I’ve done some research and it seems like 3 different options, a trailer, a tow bar storage box and roof rack. All 3 seem to have pros and cons but I was wondering if anyone had used any of these and how they got on.
Do you have/plan to have solar on the roof? Even partial shading of the panel by a top box/roof rack will compromise solar input.

What type of camping do you do? A trailer can be problematic to secure/store if you want to leave it behind on site and go explore an area in your van. On the other hand, if you're touring, then constantly towing a trailer negates a lot of the advantages of having a car-sized campervan - might as well get a Crafter/MAN-sized van (or, dare I say, a motorhome :speechless:) in that case.

The best compromise would appear to be a storage box - either bike-rack or tow-ball mounted - though I don't have any experience of using either.

Thanks for the quick answers. I forgot to say that our other option would be to put the bed onto rails so we can slide it forward and have a bigger boot when going away. I’m not sure though if we can simply adapt our existing bed or if we’d need a new frame. Can anyone recommend someone I can speak to about it?

Thanks for the quick answers. I forgot to say that our other option would be to put the bed onto rails so we can slide it forward and have a bigger boot when going away. I’m not sure though if we can simply adapt our existing bed or if we’d need a new frame. Can anyone recommend someone I can speak to about it?
That would be a great, flexible option, but with great flexibility comes great cost!

You could try these guys - they're not too far from you.

Thanks. Trying to weigh up the costs. We have to fit a tow bar and then buy a box or trailer so I think this is going to cost us a bit.

We have a sliding rear seat/bed. It’s great for flexibility and putting loads of kit safely behind the seat. The main problem though is you need to take it all out to slide the seat back before folding down the bed. Ok for longer periods parked up but a bit of a pain if you are moving on each night.

My rails were fitted by the converter for the previous owner but they are available as a kit from Braunability. The bed frame could be modified if required to fit. If I was to do it again I’d probably go for something like the California bed with a shelf behind so you don’t need to empty all the luggage.

If you have a bike rack (tailgate or towbar) you can get bags or boxes to mount to them to carry extra kit.

Thanks. Trying to weigh up the costs. We have to fit a tow bar and then buy a box or trailer so I think this is going to cost us a bit.
I reckon the costs associated with of a tow-bar solution would pale into insignificance against the cost of installing a sliding bed system. To do it right it's a full strip-out job - bonded rails, new flooring, new thresholds, modified interior trims (to account for the raised floor) - plus the cost of the bed system itself. All doable, of course, but not cheap.

We just filled the space behind the front passenger seat when camping with the 4 of us and a large awning. The awning, the cadac, shoes bag, extra food and booze fridge all sat there filling most of the space in front of the teenagers legs (they could use it as a foot rest too). All the stuff that immediately came out when we arrived on site. With the space behind the rib bed this was more than adequate for extra storage (almost certainly overweight on those trips). If you aren’t already planning to use this space I think you should consider it as it’s just as easy or inconvenient as a box/trailer but also has the benefit of keeping the load in the centre and low.

Additionally, barring possibly the trailer both other options you mentioned will have a serious weight limitation so only useful for stowing large light things

Back