Roof bars, boxes and other external storage solutions

Hi Everying.
I've got a detachable towbar on my T6 conversion and I want to use it for a little extra storage but I'm torn between various solutions and wondered if anyone has any advice/gotchas before I take the plunge.

Basically we're going away for almost 3 weeks at the end of August and I'm just looking for a little extra storage outside of the van. We can fit it all insite but when we do any wild camping it'd be good to have a bit more room inside.

Thoughts so far are...

Go big and get a trailer to carry everything I need: Erde 122 Camping Trailer With Genuine Erde Hardtop, Erde Load Bars | eBay
Doubt I'd need all of the space the trailer has, but it might come in handy for the trips to the tip too!

Or this: Thule EasyBase Cycle Carrier with either a hard box (>£400) or soft waterproof case (<£200)
The idea is I could use this for a bike rack if/when needed as my little lad grows up. But the problem is the rear barn doors won't open when it's attached (I've read).

Or a dedicated towbar box: TowCar TowBox V1 Luggage Carrier Black Edition | Deporvillage
Theory is I could just take it off and store in the garage.

Is there anything else I might be missing? Any advice on any of the above?

Don’t forget the speed limit reduction for towing a trailer....and a spare wheel.

When we were camping last year (the trip we decided to get a transporter) I saw an Anssems trailer which looked incredibly well made with bike carriers on top. Research showed they cost a lot more than Erde but significantly better made. With stuff like this I often look at second hand prices to check depreciation to help decide whether the bigger initial outlay is worth it.

It was a trailer or transporter decision for me :) guess you know which won as I’m here!

Ian

The challenge will be you have a trailer attached. Lower speeds, and more faff when reversing or trying to find parking

Have you got somewhere to store the trailer when not in use? You could think about renting to see what it's like?

Don’t forget the speed limit reduction for towing a trailer....and a spare wheel.

In most situations a van has same limits as a trailer - probably only NSL on motorways and dual carriage ways its 60 rather than 70.

Personally, trailers are more hassle than the benefit of space they offer. For 3 weeks worth of stuff, get one of the towbar mounted racks and you should be good. The flexibility you have in moving around in towns and parking will be unbeatable with the towbar mounted storage solutions.

A normal bike carrier and a weather proof bag?

This might be useful,

with one of these,

You’ve probably already thought about this but I’ll mention it anyway.
Two of us manage to go traveling for 6 - 8 weeks with just the van and no extra exterior storage. I think we’ve all been on holidays where we’ve lugged gear about that never got used.
We find that when camped up with the front seats swiveled there is plenty of storage space in the footwells to stuff things away.
Sometimes less is more.

Hi Everying.
I've got a detachable towbar on my T6 conversion and I want to use it for a little extra storage but I'm torn between various solutions and wondered if anyone has any advice/gotchas before I take the plunge.

Basically we're going away for almost 3 weeks at the end of August and I'm just looking for a little extra storage outside of the van. We can fit it all insite but when we do any wild camping it'd be good to have a bit more room inside.

Thoughts so far are...

Go big and get a trailer to carry everything I need: Erde 122 Camping Trailer With Genuine Erde Hardtop, Erde Load Bars | eBay
Doubt I'd need all of the space the trailer has, but it might come in handy for the trips to the tip too!

Or this: Thule EasyBase Cycle Carrier with either a hard box (>£400) or soft waterproof case (<£200)
The idea is I could use this for a bike rack if/when needed as my little lad grows up. But the problem is the rear barn doors won't open when it's attached (I've read).

Or a dedicated towbar box: TowCar TowBox V1 Luggage Carrier Black Edition | Deporvillage
Theory is I could just take it off and store in the garage.

Is there anything else I might be missing? Any advice on any of the above?
Hi ..just read your first trailer option...at the bottom on the advert it mentions Hire..just a thought rather than buy ..see if it works first if not it just goes back :)

Thanks Luke. I'm thinking the same but I'm not sure if it'll stand the test of time. Are the Erde ones reliable?

Probably not the best at that price but the better trailers are much more from what I've seen.

Personally, trailers are more hassle than the benefit of space they offer. For 3 weeks worth of stuff, get one of the towbar mounted racks and you should be good. The flexibility you have in moving around in towns and parking will be unbeatable with the towbar mounted storage solutions.

I was think that you could take the trailer off and leave it at your basecamp once arrived. I guess you could do the same with a towbar box too. Plus them little trailers will have more capacity but are pretty easy to manually shift into tight spots.

They look cool but quite a bit more than £600!

Go for the trailer option in my view - but not necessarily the Erde. I looked at this years ago when I got fed up trying to cram everything into the car and a roof box - only to find the wife had put another three bags in the hall when I thought I'd just got everything in - and we were only going off for the weekend! We ended up picking up a second hand Brenderup with a hard top and roof bars. We put 4 Thule bike carriers on this and then kept all the camping gear in it, and it's been brilliant. The Brenderup has suspension, unlike the Erde, and towing it is a breeze. It's also small enough to unhitch and manhandle, even fully loaded and with the bikes on top, so manoeuvring in tight spaces isn't an issue. It's been a boon for shifting other stuff around - furniture for instance - and also trips to the tip. I've got a separate Atera Strada tow ball mounted bike rack for when we want to take bikes but not the camping gear. Now I'm about to get my T6 camper at last, I'm weighing up whether to keep the trailer.

We find that when camped up with the front seats swiveled there is plenty of storage space in the footwells to stuff things away.

I agree with this. There's definitely a reason not to get extra storage too. I think the issue is that we're doing a fair bit of travelling and will be taking the driveaway awning too - some nights we won't even put the awning up as it'll be a wild camp, but others we will. For the ones we don't put it up I really don't fancy just leaving it outside for all to see.

I'm still undecided. It seems the prices don't differ too much between a box and a trailer. I have space to store the trailer and I'm not worried about the speed restrictions, or even the lack of 3rd lane on a motorway. I'm actually more worried about it suffering a blowout and it becoming a nightmare trip!

the Thule base sounds like a good bet - but damn it's expensive for how much it holds. I originally thought about roof bars but if I've got the towbar, makes sense to use it!

I don’t know where you are but I bought one of these but I have never used it!
seemed a good idea at the time but we changed our camper to a LWB instead.
if you want to borrow it and have a play you are very welcome - we are in Gloucestershir.396BE628-9933-4904-B578-6D5810E0D8C9.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t know where you are but I bought one of these but I have never used it!
seemed a good idea at the time but we changed our camper to a LWB instead.
if you want to borrow it and have a play you are very welcome - we are in Gloucestershir.

thats really kind of you Nigel, thanks. Unfortunately we're midlands (Cheshire) based, so its a tad out of the way. Really appreciate the gesture though!

I’d be avoiding anything on the roof, it will severely affect fuel economy.

We spend a month touring around France and over the years we have learned that we only actually use about half of what we originally used to take.
like you in the first year we thought need more space hence my impulse purchase but in reality we just needed to be ruthless with what we packed.
so load up the van and then have a little think - do I really need that?

Back