Towbar Mounted Storage

Gstar

Hi all,

Im looking for some help with this, after reading almost all the available threads on additional storage Im still in deliberation!

Im looking for a solution to mounting a storage platform to my towbar without spending £1000! I know the Thule Velo XT bike rack and box is a perfect end product but its very expensive and after having a new 6.1 fully converted, Im skint!

I've looked at the Thule easy storage platform but I understand you cant open a rear tailgate, although I have read that some mods such as cuttting down the rear support mounts can help? I want to be able to carry bike every now and again but essentially its storage for awning, chairs, wetsuits etc..

There is the Cryuz Apex system which is a storage rack that tilts, I've read several posts that suggest you can open the rear tailgate with these but also several that say you cant!

I plan to use a cargo bag from amazon or similar and would like to be able to open the rear of the van if possible so I dont have to remove every time, Im thinking days at the beach when I may have the rack in place with kit in and dont want to unload to get to the rear of the van etc, the Cruz system tilts, but not sure if its far enough?

The Buzz Pro looks good as a rack and I think the without the rear bar in place it might work, but has no future capability as a bike rack etc.

If any knows of a solution which doesnt include spending £1k upwards then Id love to hear about it.

Thx in advance

Probably not quite what you're after, but might give you an ideas...

I have a Thule 9503 towbar mounted bike rack. I took the bike holders off it (just a few bolts) and knocked up a frame with some steel box, that I then slotted three Strata 150L storage boxes into. The tilt function still works, so the boot can be opened.

I suppose it's a bit Heath Robinson, but it cost me less than a hundred quid in total (granted, I already had the bike rack, but you can pick one up for £100 on eBay - they're a lot more common than the storage racks)

I think

I have a Thule 9503 towbar mounted bike rack. I took the bike holders off it (just a few bolts) and knocked up a frame with some steel box, that I then slotted three Strata 150L storage boxes into. The tilt function still works, so the boot can be opened.

I suppose it's a bit Heath Robinson, but it cost me less than a hundred quid in total (granted, I already had the bike rack, but you can pick one up for £100 on eBay - they're a lot more common than the storage racks)
I think this might be the route I have to go down as there isnt a product on the market that ticks all the boxes I need! I did like the look of the Cruz Apex platform as this is a flat platform and tilts, I just cant get a conclusive answer on whether it works! This would be easy to attach a seperate box / bespoke solution to. I might just hav eto buy one and send it back if it doest work!

Do you have any pictures of your setup please,
This sounds like a really good idea

Also take a look at BakRak (no affiliation to them). Check though whether the tumble mount gives clearance for the tailgate. Basic carrier (with options tumble system) will take a box or roof bag. Can add a bike carrier. I think current <£400 for basic 3 bike and tumble kit, add your own box/bag, plenty of cargo/roof bags available.

Back