Extending T6 OEM Reversing Camera onto a Bike Rack/Towbar Box/Trailer

GT3gooner

Hi

I am relatively new to the forum and have had a T6 Transporter camper conversion for a year now. I have recently got a Thule Easyfold tow bar mounted bike rack and am wondering if it is possible to retro fit a reversing camera to the bike rack and hook into the existing OEM camera display via the tow bar electrical connector. Has anybody done this previously please?

Very interesting idea!
I actually do need something like this so will start my thinking :cool:.
Definitely possible with OEM T6 lowline camera via 13 pin socket.
Pin 12 could be used for video "positive" signal and pin 13 as GND(screen).

Highline camera would be much more challenging thou.

It is interesting, i guess you could fit a relay behind the radio and use it to switch the video signal from OEM camera to bike rack camera when something is connected to the tow socket

If you have two spare cores in the towbar wiring then i guess they could be liberated at the towbar control module (probably under the seat) and routed to the back of the headunit, would just need a signal to drive the relay when the towbar is in use ???

Can you confirm what type of towbar/socket you have ie is it 7 pin or 13 pin and if its 13 pin then a couple of the wires are optional when installing the towbar (to power caravan etc) so not sure how many wires yours will have

Is it a factory towbar or was it fitted afterwards ?
Pro install or DIY job ?
Do you know where the trailer control module is ?
etc etc

Reactions: mmi
It is interesting, i guess you could fit a relay behind the radio and use it to switch the video signal from OEM camera to bike rack camera when something is connected to the tow socket

If you have two spare cores in the towbar wiring then i guess they could be liberated at the towbar control module (probably under the seat) and routed to the back of the headunit, would just need a signal to drive the relay when the towbar is in use ???

Can you confirm what type of towbar/socket you have ie is it 7 pin or 13 pin and if its 13 pin then a couple of the wires are optional when installing the towbar (to power caravan etc) so not sure how many wires yours will have

Is it a factory towbar or was it fitted afterwards ?
Pro install or DIY job ?
Do you know where the trailer control module is ?
etc etc
The base van is a 2019 Transporter T6 Highline Kombi with factory fit;
  • Discovery media pack
  • Front / rear parking sensors with reversing camera
  • Removable / lockable towbar (13 pin) inc trailer stabilisation.

Trailer stabilisation?
Can you elaborate?
book_003.pngFirst read and observe the introductory information and safety warnings

Trailer stabilisation is a subsidiary function of the electronic stabilisation programme (ESC). The trailer stabilisation function can detect if an attached trailer is starting to lurch from side to side.

If a lurching motion is detected, the trailer stabilisation function automatically helps to reduce the trailer's rocking motion using counter steering assistance.

Requirements for trailer stabilisation

• ESC is active. The indicator lamp n180MK_002.png or a294MK_002.png in the instrument cluster is not lit up.
  • The vehicle speed is higher than approximately 60 km/h (37 mph).
  • The maximum drawbar load is being carried.
  • The trailer must have a rigid drawbar.
  • Trailers with brakes must have a mechanical overrun system.
warnung_b_004.png

warnung_004.pngWARNING

Do not let the extra safety afforded by the trailer stabilisation function tempt you into taking any risks when driving – this can cause accidents.
  • Adapt your speed and driving style to suit visibility, weather, road and traffic conditions.
  • Accelerate carefully on slippery surfaces.
  • Take your foot off the accelerator if one of the systems is active.
warnung_b_004.png

warnung_004.pngWARNING

The trailer stabilisation function may not be able to detect all driving situations correctly.
  • Trailer stabilisation is switched off when ESC is deactivated.
  • Light trailers that are snaking will not be recognised by the trailer stabilisation function and stabilised accordingly in all cases.
  • A trailer might still jack-knife on a slippery surface with little grip.
  • Trailers with a high centre of gravity might tip over before snaking starts.

Where is this quote from?
Is your van T6 or T6.1?

Reactions: mmi
Where is this quote from?
Is your van T6 or T6.1?
Quote plucked from the web. The van is a T6 2019, I didn't spec from new and have pulled through details of spec from summary provided by the indie dealer I brought the van from secondhand, so open to challenge re 'Trailer Stability' as I don't have access to the original build sheet. Other aspects previously quoted are correct so I have no reason to question details provided by the indie.

Not an OEM solution but doable via the rear number plate holder with a separate screen, wireless connection & solar power

returned via pm
Build sheet shows late well specced T6 with factory detachable towbar

@GT3gooner. Sorry I can't answer the question but I've also got an Thule Easyfold. My OEM head unit does not accept a camera and I was worried every time I reversed the van with the rack fitted. I wound up buying an Auto Vox TW1 kit plus an extra camera so that one can be permanently fitted to the van and the other to the rack. It means another screen in the cab, albeit a small one, but I’m cool with that. It’s easy to switch between the two cameras and, more importantly, it works for me. I'm a simple chap and that was a simple solution which IMHO was nowhere near as fugly as the one mentioned in the post by @Perfectos above (which I also looked at). Mine is one of these:
with
You can also buy solar panels for the cameras but they look horrible and I didn't bother with them. My van is not a daily driver and for the limited use that the cameras get, the batteries seem to last forever. Indeed, I've had mine fitted since about November last year and only charged them once since - even then, they didn't need it.

Well - they sold me a T6 with trailer stabilisation - within the option of factory installed towbar.

A snippet from a T6 brochure - "The new Transporter"

1657725974568.png
1657725905226.png

My owner's manual (a Finnish one) doesn't mention counter steering - for obvious reasons ;)

Instead the manual mentions only that ESP reduces vehicle's speed - Trailer stabilisation activation is indicated by flashing yellow ABS light.

It seems that only T6s with factory installed tow bar have the following "Trailer installed" coding set - none of the retrofitted nor without tow bar of 80 scans checked :geek:

1657727305463.png

Very interesting idea!
I actually do need something like this so will start my thinking :cool:.
Definitely possible with OEM T6 lowline camera via 13 pin socket.
Pin 12 could be used for video "positive" signal and pin 13 as GND(screen).

Highline camera would be much more challenging thou.

I've got a removable Westfalia tow-bar with 7 pin socket.
I have already purchased 13 pin socket and 13 pin plug.

My plan is to replace my existing 7 pin socket with a 13 pin version.
I will use PIN 12 & 13 to send my video signal from my tow-bar box(aka bike-rack) additional camera to my head unit.
This video signal will be fed via relay contacts N/O(87) -> C(30).
Obviously, the video signal from my tailgate camera will be fed via relay contacts N/C(87a) -> C(30).
mini-automotive-relay-wiring-840x.jpg
PIN 11 (normally earth for charging) will be wired in quite specific way.
Basically, my tow-bar box 13 pin plug will have a link between PIN 11 & PIN 13.
This linkage(bridge) will back feed GND to my relay coil (85).
Additionally, my reversing light signal will be connected to the other end of relay coil (86).

The final result is going to function as follows.
When my tow-bar box(aka bike-rack) is plugged in and reversing gear is engaged
I will see the picture from my tow-bar box camera instead of tailgate one :cool:.
No current draw when my tow-bar box is plugged in and reversing gear is not engaged.

Power to the tow-bar box camera is going to be supplied via PIN 8 & PIN 10 (from the reversing light).

A slight tangent to the original question, but we have a brake light mounted camera. It’s position would should give you a view beyond the bike rack

I've got a removable Westfalia tow-bar with 7 pin socket.
I have already purchased 13 pin socket and 13 pin plug.

My plan is to replace my existing 7 pin socket with a 13 pin version.
I will use PIN 12 & 13 to send my video signal from my tow-bar box(aka bike-rack) additional camera to my head unit.
This video signal will be fed via relay contacts N/O(87) -> C(30).
Obviously, the video signal from my tailgate camera will be fed via relay contacts N/C(87a) -> C(30).
View attachment 173407
PIN 11 (normally earth for charging) will be wired in quite specific way.
Basically, my tow-bar box 13 pin plug will have a link between PIN 11 & PIN 13.
This linkage(bridge) will back feed GND to my relay coil (85).
Additionally, my reversing light signal will be connected to the other end of relay coil (86).

The final result is going to function as follows.
When my tow-bar box(aka bike-rack) is plugged in and reversing gear is engaged
I will see the picture from my tow-bar box camera instead of tailgate one :cool:.
No current draw when my tow-bar box is plugged in and reversing gear is not engaged.

Camera power is going to be supplied via PIN 8 (reversing light).
I've kept my lowline camera 7E0 980 121 and I've purchased additional camera housing 7E0 980 561 A.
Got my camera holding bracket trimmed to allow me to rotate the camera 180°(up side down).
Cut nice rectangular opening in the back wall of my tow-bar box and clicked the whole assembly in place :whistle:

20230623_150343.jpg20230623_150528.jpg20230623_150348.jpg20230623_150355.jpg

Next step is to replace my 7 pin plug/socket setup with a 13 pin version :D

Back