Tow Bar Electrics vs LED Retro Fit Reversing & Fog Lights Not Working

Evie T

Hi, I recently had a tow trust bar fitted to my T6 Tailgate (2016) with the VW specific electrics kit. The parking pilot knows when the tow bar is attached and turns sensors off etc however one of my reversing and fog lights are no longer working.

I've seen that some T6's only have one functional fog and reversing light, however I'm assuming retro fitted lights have one on both side? (These were already fitted when I bought the van last year). If so, is there a fix to get both sets working again?

I had a T5 previously which I did some work on but I am more reluctant to do this on my T6 as it was more than double the price.

Thanks for any advice, Eve

To fit OEM LED rear lights to vans that came with tungsten lamps require additional wiring to have both reverse and fog light working. They were wired at the factory to have just one of each.

The towbar fitter may have removed the additional wiring thinking that it was not necessary and might bugger up the trailer lights.

I did mention it to the fitter but he seemed to think that either there was only one reverse light or the bulb might have gone. However, it was only when I looked at it again last night I noticed the fog light was only on one side too

Are they OEM lights, or aftermarket?

If they are OEM, were they factory fitted?

Did they work before the tow bar?

Can you post a picture of the lights and a picture of the data sticker? (it's under the dash in the drivers footwell) The codes on that will tell us what lights, therefore wiring it left the factory with.

When I purchased the van last year the lights were already fitted. I think they all worked before the tow bar was fitted yesterday but not 100% sure. I will have a look if there is anything is in the paperwork.

It passed it's MOT last week with no faults but my understanding is you only need one reverse and fog light working?
20230822_191650.jpg20230822_191941.jpg20230822_182024.jpg

There is only one of each from the factory so i would say its working as intended
Im not familiar with the aftermarket lights you have fitted but some do have the option to install additional cabling to wire in the second fog/reverse lamp if desired
So the question is, has that additional wiring ever been done ????

There is only one of each from the factory so i would say its working as intended
Im not familiar with the aftermarket lights you have fitted but some do have the option to install additional cabling to wire in the second fog/reverse lamp if desired
So the question is, has that additional wiring ever been done ????
That is the big question.... Would it be easy to figure out?

pop one of the lights off and how many wires you have connected to the light fitting
Its a 6 pin plug and will need all six in use for double fog/reverse lights, if you only have 5 wires into the six pin plug then they have never worked

pop one of the lights off and how many wires you have connected to the light fitting
Its a 6 pin plug and will need all six in use for double fog/reverse lights, if you only have 5 wires into the six pin plug then they have never worked
Thanks. I will take a look when I have some time

So from the first pic they have never worked on both sides??

20230823_183029.jpg

20230823_183009.jpg

Hi there, just thinking to install towbar too and wonder whether universal 13pin loom can be connected directly to back lights rather than taking it all the way to starter battery etc.? Any advice on it? thx

Back