Everything Alpine - Help from someone cleverer than me

phantom-uk

Hi all.
Purchased the Alpine ILX -905DT6 and ready to install.
I want to upgrade the speakers too and have decided on Alpine SPC10_T6’s.
Now then, my question, do I go for the 106’s or the 108’s?
I‘ve done some research at my knowledge level and have read that the 106’s would sound great with the head unit BUT for £40 more I could get the 108’s.
I’ve also read that the 108’s would be better served with the use of an amplifier to drive them and considered an Alpine amplifier as recommended by the Alpine configurator on their website.
Then I realised that the head unit has an in-built amplifier, capable of delivering 4 x 50W of power (I don’t fully understand what this means, other than I guess it can drive 4 speakers at 50 watts each?).
So, does a clever person know if the head unit‘s amplifier is good enough to drive the 108’s to their full potential OR am I better off just getting the 106’s for no extra expense OR am I better off getting the 108’s and an amplifier.
The door skins, regulator plates and cards have been sound deadened already.
Any jokes, sarcasm, expletives are excepted gracefully
Much appreciative of any and all replies.

I have the Halo 9 HU with 6.5” front woofers and tweeters in the A pillars.

I have read that 108’s are great so long as you have an amp although mine sound amazing and will will sound better once the amp is fitted.
The speakers I opted for are:

HERTZ MPK165.3 MILLE PRO 6.5" 2 WAY COMPONENT SPEAKER SET 110W RMS which sound unreal and the build quality is second to none for non pro speakers.

You should also get the speaker surrounds. The look like a rubber plate, they keep the water off of the back of your speak when it runs down your windows plus it seals the speak to the door cards allowing for my directed sound into the cab.

@Dav-Tec sorted mine out for me.

@phantom-uk personally unless they're amplied I always advise customers to avoid the 108s as the inbuilt amp in your headunit cannot drive them efficiently.

4x50w means 4 channels 2 front 2 rear each rated at 50W but this is a peak value not an RMS value. Peak is it can do it for a very short period of time RMS is constant power. On your Alpine you're probably looking at 20W RMS. Now from memory the 106 is 60w RMS and the 108 is 100w RMS.

If you did want a cheap easily hidden amp the vibe micro amps really aren't bad for the money.

But for the same or similar money you could buy the Hertz Mille Pro speakers like Pete has and get a better setup.

The Alpine speakers are good but I feel the Hertz stuff is better but depends what you want

Inbox me if you like mate

@phantom-uk personally unless they're amplied I always advise customers to avoid the 108s as the inbuilt amp in your headunit cannot drive them efficiently.

4x50w means 4 channels 2 front 2 rear each rated at 50W but this is a peak value not an RMS value. Peak is it can do it for a very short period of time RMS is constant power. On your Alpine you're probably looking at 20W RMS. Now from memory the 106 is 60w RMS and the 108 is 100w RMS.

If you did want a cheap easily hidden amp the vibe micro amps really aren't bad for the money.

But for the same or similar money you could buy the Hertz Mille Pro speakers like Pete has and get a better setup.

The Alpine speakers are good but I feel the Hertz stuff is better but depends what you want

Do the hertz mille pro fit into the a pillars ok?

Yeah not had a problem you can't see them when fitted you don't get the bling grills that you get with the Alpines. The crossover is a little big but this is where the hertz stuff beats the Alpines they invested time and research into what will make it sound good not look good.

Don't get me wrong the Alpines are a good unit I just think the Hertz stuff is better.

@Texxaco fitted his so he can advise from a non "pro" point of view

Yeah not had a problem you can't see them when fitted you don't get the bling grills that you get with the Alpines. The crossover is a little big but this is where the hertz stuff beats the Alpines they invested time and research into what will make it sound good not look good.

Don't get me wrong the Alpines are a good unit I just think the Hertz stuff is better.

@Texxaco fitted his so he can advise from a non "pro" point of view
It’s very easy, the hardest part is finding a location for the crossovers for each tweeter and woofer.

I found behind the clocks for the driver side with the passenger side being behind the glove box.

Tweeters fit into the original location in the A pillar however you are best to use a glue gun to hold them in place.

Forgot to add, you leave the original A pillar speaker grills in place.

It’s very easy, the hardest part is finding a location for the crossovers for each tweeter and woofer.

I found behind the clocks for the driver side with the passenger side being behind the glove box.

Tweeters fit into the original location in the A pillar however you are best to use a glue gun to hold them in place.

Forgot to add, you leave the original A pillar speaker grills in place.
Thank you Texxaco! Thought I had finally decided on the alpines & you throw this at me haha! I had heard they can be a bit bright for some. I can live without the bling for better sound every time!
Gosh- this crossovers are monsters in themselves!! This may not be a home fit job after all! I guess they need plugs connectors changed too?

Thank you Texxaco! Thought I had finally decided on the alpines & you throw this at me haha! I had heard they can be a bit bright for some. I can live without the bling for better sound every time!
Gosh- this crossovers are monsters in themselves!! This may not be a home fit job after all! I guess they need plugs connectors changed too?
Honestly it’s not a difficult job, the right tools including a crimping g tool do make the task easier and it’s not like you won’t use the crimping tool again.

You also have peace of mind that the wiring is a one shot hit and won’t need to be reviewed, especially good considering where the crossovers are located.

You can use the existing wiring but I usually change it works out easier in the long run and the speaker cable quality going in is better. I can make you a loom up to make it more plug and play though

Honestly it’s not a difficult job, the right tools including a crimping g tool do make the task easier and it’s not like you won’t use the crimping tool again.

You also have peace of mind that the wiring is a one shot hit and won’t need to be reviewed, especially good considering where the crossovers are located.
Already got a crimping tool, it just relies on me getting wires right way round haha!

Ffs

FFS Dave-Tec, you’re spending all my retirement fund.
I’m not into the bling myself but I thought I’d made my mind up as I read great reviews of the Alpines.
I was today years old when I learnt that the missus hasn’t got a superpower after all and in reality, my mind can be changed by others too.
Ok mate you’ve convinced me, I agree that with the Alpines some of your £300 is spent on it looking pretty, whereas with the Hertz your money is spent on the technology only.
Now then, just to confuse me more,
which Hertz Mille Pro’s do you recommend:
40622E04-ACD4-4757-8C68-BBED55A18746.jpeg
I’ve read up on all 3 products and it mentions that the 165P.3’s “provide a deep powerful base, enough to run without a subwoofer in some cases”. How true is this statement do you think from looking at the spec sheet:
BB735EA8-0D08-48A9-8730-467FF79CC2F3.jpeg

So, my new set up will be:
Alpine IPX905D
and
Hertz Mille Pro speakers

If the 165P.3’s aren’t “bass” enough without a subwoofer, I’ll need some suggestions for one please?
Can you also suggest an amplifier to suit please?

I haven’t even started on the MFSW options with you yet but that’s another story.
Much appreciated mate.

Ffs

FFS Dave-Tec, you’re spending all my retirement fund.
I’m not into the bling myself but I thought I’d made my mind up as I read great reviews of the Alpines.
I was today years old when I learnt that the missus hasn’t got a superpower after all and in reality, my mind can be changed by others too.
Ok mate you’ve convinced me, I agree that with the Alpines some of your £300 is spent on it looking pretty, whereas with the Hertz your money is spent on the technology only.
Now then, just to confuse me more,
which Hertz Mille Pro’s do you recommend:
View attachment 169410
I’ve read up on all 3 products and it mentions that the 165P.3’s “provide a deep powerful base, enough to run without a subwoofer in some cases”. How true is this statement do you think from looking at the spec sheet:
View attachment 169411

So, my new set up will be:
Alpine IPX905D
and
Hertz Mille Pro speakers

If the 165P.3’s aren’t “bass” enough without a subwoofer, I’ll need some suggestions for one please?
Can you also suggest an amplifier to suit please?

I haven’t even started on the MFSW options with you yet but that’s another story.
Much appreciated mate.
Drop me a PM mate there's to much to go through on a thread but for public knowledge we usually fit the ones at £320 I have them personally in my caddy with the matching coaxials in the rear. So is @Texxaco and our demo T5 pick up to be fair. They're a fantastic speaker for the money. Your more than welcome if your over my way to have a listen or even up towards Cheshire way I'm sure @Texxaco will let you have a listen

Back