Engine stuttering/missing

Magpie1832

Model maker extraordinaire
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all, I'm puzzled with this one. I drive quite conservative not overly accelerating. If I cruise along in 3rd or 4th at approx 2000rpm give a little , it starts to stutter like a misfire . If I accelerate past it or slow slightly (not a lot) then it goes away. I've read the codes and nothing is logged on vcds. It's not bothering me but annoying. As we say at work LID ( let it develope) but would just like an opinion on this problem.
Cheers Chris

Petrol, diesel? Engine code? stock, mapped? anything else that has been done recently like cambelt etc.?

It's diesel, no map, CXGB. Timing belt and water pump was done by garage I bought it from 3k ago. Recent work was egr replaced a few weeks ago. I think it did it a couple times before that though. I've figured out now where I can get it to do it. Also seems to do it more regularly when warming up.

Noticed today it also does it in 1st. Always at just under 2000rpm. Thought it was throttle pedal but could rule it out as tried the cruise control and it does it when using that. Still no codes.

I'd give it a strong dose of injector cleaner, if it works, great, if it doesn't you've spent about a tenner and done no harm.

Hi Magpie, just wondering if you ever found out what it was that was causing the stutter issue, did it develop, Or if there was anything you did that made it stop?

Asking as my t6 has the exact same problem you’ve described. Certainly noticeable when warming up, doing just under 2000 revs and in 4th, driving conservatively.

All the best
Rich

Hi Rich, no it still does it every now and again. Hasn't really done it over the summer but will see how bad it is over winter. Mine does it every gear but usually at just under 2000rpm steady cruising it. Any speed as long as it's 2000rpm. It wasn't egr as I changed it and still did it. It isn't the pedal because it does it in cruise control aswell.
I've just become used to it.
Chris

Ah thank you for coming back to me Chris, it’s so weird that it just does it.. a vw foible? Did you take it in to a garage to get it checked?

I work in a garage, so makes it even more puzzling as we all can't figure it out. No codes on vcds aswell.

Hi guys, I got the same problem. The difference with mine is I have an engine light on. Reading the codes it tells me I have #4 glow plug down. Trying to get it changed but finding someone reliable isn’t easy here.
I have another thought. My fuel economy goes down cruising in top gear but goes back up when I drop to 4th. I’m wondering would it have anything to do with the regen? How often does it run the regen normally?

I don't notice a change in my mpg during a regen. Mine usually does one every 150ish miles. I live in Wales so 20mph making it a little lower.

I’ve had the EGR and the AdBlue turned off think that was the problem but no luck. The only thing it can be is the DPF filter. I’ll change the glow plugs first see if that makes a difference.
Was wonder if it was the fuel filter but it doesn’t do it on throttle. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back