RANT of the Day…….

Stigofthedub

T6 Pro
Whether its me getting old or that modern motorists are sharing more and more bad habits I don't know, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on some of the things that bug me these days about driving habits:

1. Why do some people insist in leaving a space capable of holding 3 or more cars between themselves and the vehicle in front when in a queue? So many times as I approach a stationary queue and can see plenty of room for me and the cars in front so I try to pass the exit on the left only to be stopped across the said junction because someone decides an articulated lorry might be forced to pull in in front of them while they wait... Conversely stop so close behind you in a queue that any slight roll back could insert your tow bar into their bumper. ( I have deliberately let mine roll back a bit on a hill before to try to wake the clown behind up)

2.Why do some people drive so close behind when in a stream of traffic?. I can't go any faster. There are more cars in front... If I had to stop in an emergency and they ram me what would I get? "Sorry I didn't see you stop" or " What did you do an E Stop for" Angrily. My Missus has turned round with her phone pretending to video them in the past, the reaction is usually to back off or gesture some obscenity.

3. Motorways. I don't hang about but I do leave a good space and always travel well past anything I overtake before pulling in. I don't want stone chips on my van and wouldn't want to chip someone else's. So why do some people cut in close after overtaking. You can see some of them moving over towards you as they come up beside you. At the point of cutting in, if they had to E stop or had a blow out or whatever then you would end up ramming them and the insurance companies would blame you!. Plus the stone chips!!

3. Again on motorways. Travelling along at 70 with cruise control on, you see someone in the distance catching up slowly, as they approach they hover for a while deciding if to overtake then go for it. Crawl past then slow down. I know I am doing the same speed because I have cruise on, so now I have to overtake them or slow down. Yes you could argue the hill thing causes them to slow, but not in all circumstances.

4. Undertaking. Ok I can understand a bit when someone won't get out of the middle lane or fast lane on a dual carriageway. And only after a dam good flashing session of the headlights.

5. Motorway slip roads. If approaching on a slip road some drivers think its OK just to muscle in and cause the drivers already on the motorway to avoid them. Yes you should make space but its not always possible and in that instance the slip road driver should slow and fit in.

6. Parking. Why can I go to the far side of a car park to be on my own and someone decides 6 inches from my drivers door is the best place for them.... Note: if you see a car park with no bays marked, just look at how much gap most people leave, its usually quite a lot.

7. Crawling along in a queue of slow moving traffic, why do some people leave a gap for two articulated lorry's between them and the cars in front. How many times has there been traffic lights and at the last minute they speed up leaving you at a red one while they get through..

8. The local council decided to put speed humps down our road, the square blocks that twist your van if you don't hit them right. It only slows the sensible and car caring people, the people likely to cause an accident still go tearing along. Incidentally I regularly pick up pieces of suspension spring from the side of the road

I know its a bit of a rant but do you have similar or worse annoyances?

As a person that has a mobile business, I drive around 50k a year. I've learnt to just live with the fact most drivers are ignorant, arrogant, uneducated, selfish, blind, and pretty much stupid. The people that are road warriors behind glass and metal wouldn't normally act that way stood in a queue without the protection of the glass and metal, but for some reason they think the world owes them on the roads.
No one wants to be behind a van, even if that van is more than capable of wiping the arse of most modern cars! It's just one of those stupid facts of life, and if I didn't do my best to ignore it, i'd of been put away years ago for doing something stupid to one or more of these drivers..

Being a taxi driver I’m on the roads about 40k+ miles a year for the last 9 yrs , and in the 31 years driving there is so much bad driving about .

My pet hate is the folk that treat 2/3 lane roundabouts as one lane and try and take the straightest line threw the roundabout normal cutting you up .

Also the amber gamblers that have plenty of time to slow and stop before the red comes on and speed up to get threw when you are sitting in the middle of the road at the Trafic light junction turning right , then you finish your manoeuvre on a red light .

Very similar to the last cutting a junction in front of you because they don’t want to slow down and stop to cross your path , even tho you have right of way .

I see it daily now and it takes a special type of idiot to boil my p**s to get a reaction out of me , I fear more for my 17 yr (next nth ) daughter that has just got her provisional license and will be taking driving lessons.

Has to be middle lane hogs!!

My son says the LED' s on a full beam flash usually does the trick!( He used my van to go to
Cornwall in Aug)
But the best bit is the look on their faces as you wave at them when you do go past !! Oh dear!
Give me strength.
:speechless:

Has to be middle lane hogs!!

My son says the LED' s on a full beam flash usually does the trick!( He used my van to go to
Cornwall in Aug)
But the best bit is the look on their faces as you wave at them when you do go past !! Oh dear!
Give me strength.
:speechless:
I used to do the headlight thing with my old 1275GTS I had Cebie Headlights and Super Oscars on the front and when I saw some one coming the other way with sidelights I'd give them the lot. they looked like startled rabbits in the headlights . People running on sidelights in the failing light really pi$$s me off

Put your rant here……..

Today …filling up at bay 3…(bay 1 just driven off )….. minding my own business…small van creeps pass and stops next to bay 1 and walks into Tesco’s shop….ok…then an older fart than me drives around the front then reverses into bay 1 so now I’m blocked in ( oh ..what made it worse 3 other bays empty ) …so being inquisitive….I asked if he had a medical issue…..he looked blank….ah I said must be that new impediment…..Cantwaititus …..hope it’s not catching….:rolleyes:

There are a lot of inconsiderate people about and I fear its only going to get worse!

Here's one. Lane police.

Dual carriageway with slow moving traffic filtering into 1 lane a mile ahead. Most people are queuing in lane one already with lane 2 virtually empty. Why is it empty? Because some lorriests think they are in charge of the road network and straddle lanes 1 & 2 to prevent anyone going past them. Now the stupid will see the people that wish to use a mile of empty lane as inpatient arseholes, whereas the intelligent will see it as proper use of the available road, halving the length of the queue, therefore not snarling up the roundabout behind them.

It's not queue jumping. If we all use both lanes properly, then filter in one after the other at the pinch point without worrying if someone has got 5 seconds further up the road than you, then we'll all get along just fine.

I’ll add the rant of several pissed off horn honkers from my accidental lane error today.
Coming from Truro along the A39 to Carland Cross roundabout I realise that I’m in the A30 West lane which is empty instead of the A30 East lane which has several hundred roof box laden emmets cars queueing and going nowhere.
I edged into the roundabout and carried on my way East, not an intentional choice but as a Cornishman who has confessed his sins I can honestly say I feel no guilt.

Put your rant here……..

Today …filling up at bay 3…(bay 1 just driven off )….. minding my own business…small van creeps pass and stops next to bay 1 and walks into Tesco’s shop….ok…then an older fart than me drives around the front then reverses into bay 1 so now I’m blocked in ( oh ..what made it worse 3 other bays empty ) …so being inquisitive….I asked if he had a medical issue…..he looked blank….ah I said must be that new impediment…..Cantwaititus …..hope it’s not catching….:rolleyes:
It's a lesser version of the more virulent f***wittism. That one spreads like wild fire and, like malaria, they can never get rid once they've had it. That's why there's so much of it around.

Then there are the Guardians Of The Middle Lane who travel at 69 mph in the middle lane of motorways even though there's nothing in the left hand lane, creating a moving chicane forcing anyone doing 70 (OK, or a little more) to bunch up in the fast lane to get past.

I’ll add the rant of several pissed off horn honkers from my accidental lane error today.
Coming from Truro along the A39 to Carland Cross roundabout I realise that I’m in the A30 West lane which is empty instead of the A30 East lane which has several hundred roof box laden emmets cars queueing and going nowhere.
I edged into the roundabout and carried on my way East, not an intentional choice but as a Cornishman who has confessed his sins I can honestly say I feel no guilt.
There is a particular roundabout near us where left lane is left only and right lane right. The left lane always queues at peak times so some go down the right lane loop around the small roundabout and they’re at the front of the turn left queue.

I admit to doing it once when we were late for daughters dance lesson!

Here's one. Lane police.

Dual carriageway with slow moving traffic filtering into 1 lane a mile ahead. Most people are queuing in lane one already with lane 2 virtually empty. Why is it empty? Because some lorriests think they are in charge of the road network and straddle lanes 1 & 2 to prevent anyone going past them. Now the stupid will see the people that wish to use a mile of empty lane as inpatient arseholes, whereas the intelligent will see it as proper use of the available road, halving the length of the queue, therefore not snarling up the roundabout behind them.

It's not queue jumping. If we all use both lanes properly, then filter in one after the other at the pinch point without worrying if someone has got 5 seconds further up the road than you, then we'll all get along just fine.
What the truckers don’t realise is that further back down the road a roundabout exit is blocked because of their stupidity. They also don’t realise that this is causing further delays as people who aren’t even going the same way can’t get onto the roundabout and go their own way, but it’s OK because they’re truckers and they know best.

It's a lesser version of the more virulent f***wittism. That one spreads like wild fire and, like malaria, they can never get rid once they've had it. That's why there's so much of it around.
Worse, they breed!

Here's one. Lane police.

If we just filtered without worrying about which indication of gratitude to respond with and then checking in the rear view mirror to make sure it was aknowledged.
Just drive.

Reactions: CAB
Ok I'm in, what grips my piss in no particular order are three abreast HGV trucks racing uphill on the various "smart" motorways with each truck going the same speed for the duration of the incline, yep a 50 odd mph rolling road block that goes on for what feels like miles.
Confrontation lanes where two lanes merge into one prior to a roundabout or simply from a dual to single carriageway... what planet does the arrogant plonker in the outside lane come from as let's face it everyone on the inside lane can drive as fast as the queue jumper so why would they want to let him push in front, I genuinely wish them I'll will.

Back