Engine Management Light - P20EE/31103 What to Do??

YellowHound

Photographer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Van is a 2017 T32 SWB 150, owned by me from new. Remapped at circa 4k miles by Pendle - now showing 26k miles.

Van software was checked at last service in August 2020 and confirmed up to date.

I have had several cycles of the engine management light coming on - each time there is no discernible difference in how the van is behaving. Fuel consumption unchanged, no discernible difference in how the van is performing.

key codes are P20EE - SCR NOx catalysts efficiency below threshold bank one, and the associated 31103.

Given the lack of any impact I have elected to reset the codes and keep a watching brief.

It now seems that the same codes are flashing up at around a 300 mile interval.

The question now is simply what to do?
From what I can read it doesn't seem like it is a simple replacement of the NOx sensor.

Suggestions please :thumbsup:

Mine did that until the light was more and more frequent. Then it was partnered with the Adblue countdown and orange error light. Carista wouldn’t reset the engine light in the end as the fault was so consistent.

I used to also get the ‘insufficient flow’ error associated with the EGR too.

I fitted a new EGR and associated flexi pipes and touch wood, it’s been good as gold.

The EGR and Adblue work together to reduce NOx.

Mine did that until the light was more and more frequent. Then it was partnered with the Adblue countdown and orange error light. Carista wouldn’t reset the engine light in the end as the fault was so consistent.

I used to also get the ‘insufficient flow’ error associated with the EGR too.

I fitted a new EGR and associated flexi pipes and touch wood, it’s been good as gold.

The EGR and Adblue work together to reduce NOx.

Thanks.
What led you to conclude it was the EGR?
How many miles had you covered when this was done?
How many miles have you covered since replacement?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Thanks.
What led you to conclude it was the EGR?
How many miles had you covered when this was done?
How many miles have you covered since replacement?

Cheers :thumbsup:
For me, it was my own deduction. I kept getting the EGR insufficient flow, eventually got both that and the Adblue fault. As they both work to reduce NOx I figured they were connected. There was a slight leak from the front EGR flexi also, which meant I lost a little boost out the EGR pipe too.

Adblue fault cropped up very infrequently at 25k and became more frequent at about 32k. Replaced it at 37k as I dreaded driving the thing.

It came up on a 330 mile journey back from Cornwall, and I was in two minds whether to cancel my 1000 mile Scotland trip, but I knew if I could get to Scotland without the dreaded 650 mile Adblue countdown, I could get back in the 650 miles if it pinged up. 4 engine lights on the way up and 3 on the way back!

I then did about 170 miles to and from the forum summer camp last year and the engine light came on and Adblue together. They wouldn’t cancel....

Booked it in for an EGR and touch wood it’s been good. 501 miles since! Bleeding lockdown!

It was an £1100 gamble though!

For me, it was my own deduction. I kept getting the EGR insufficient flow, eventually got both that and the Adblue fault. As they both work to reduce NOx I figured they were connected. There was a slight leak from the front EGR flexi also, which meant I lost a little boost out the EGR pipe too.

Adblue fault cropped up very infrequently at 25k and became more frequent at about 32k. Replaced it at 37k as I dreaded driving the thing.

It came up on a 330 mile journey back from Cornwall, and I was in two minds whether to cancel my 1000 mile Scotland trip, but I knew if I could get to Scotland without the dreaded 650 mile Adblue countdown, I could get back in the 650 miles if it pinged up. 4 engine lights on the way up and 3 on the way back!

I then did about 170 miles to and from the forum summer camp last year and the engine light came on and Adblue together. They wouldn’t cancel....

Booked it in for an EGR and touch wood it’s been good. 501 miles since! Bleeding lockdown!

It was an £1100 gamble though!

Thank you :thumbsup:
I did get a spurious Adblue fault a couple of months ago. Flashed up a 650 mile warning about a week after I had topped it up but that cleared itself within a few miles.

Thank you :thumbsup:
I did get a spurious Adblue fault a couple of months ago. Flashed up a 650 mile warning about a week after I had topped it up but that cleared itself within a few miles.
Hmm. That’s how mine started. I thought I overfilled it at the time but not sure that I did.

was when I got the insufficient flow and the Adblue fault more regularly that I took the plunge.

I did take out the Adblue injector out of the exhaust and clean it. The Adblue fault would clear after a while but I think it was coincidental and not related to me cleaning the injector.

it’s an expensive risk to take but I wanted to eliminate the EGR from my line of enquiry.

Hmm. That’s how mine started. I thought I overfilled it at the time but not sure that I did.

was when I got the insufficient flow and the Adblue fault more regularly that I took the plunge.

I did take out the Adblue injector out of the exhaust and clean it. The Adblue fault would clear after a while but I think it was coincidental and not related to me cleaning the injector.

it’s an expensive risk to take but I wanted to eliminate the EGR from my line of enquiry.

Thanks - does sound like mine is on the same path.
I think I'll just reset it for now and continue to monitor.

I did many miles before it became too annoying. It’s worth having it properly diagnosed before taking the plunge. My £1100 gamble paid off, but yours may not!

@YellowHound if you have a search in the forum I am sure these faults are related to a software issue. I have a 2017 150bhp and have had this fault code appear in the memory once in while. I am still running the factory software level.

@YellowHound if you have a search in the forum I am sure these faults are related to a software issue. I have a 2017 150bhp and have had this fault code appear in the memory once in while. I am still running the factory software level.

Yes I have seen the software comments but I believe my van has the latest software.
Is there a way I can check for the Adblue update?

I presume the new software is less picky about when it trips the light? Wider tolerances on NOx?

I called VW about mine and they insisted it didn’t need the update.:thumbsdown:

This thread shows the software version required for the adblue / SCR update
Software version 6163
That software version 6163 is specific to engine software mentioned there = 4L906056KA for engine CXGB only. It obviously doesn't apply here.

That software version 6163 is specific to engine software mentioned there = 4L906056KA for engine CXGB only. It obviously doesn't apply here.

Interesting.
I may call VW and just enquire about the Adblue update in respect of my van to se what, if anything, they can tell me.
What I don't want to do is have the ECU flashed unnecessarily as it will wipe my Pendle re-map. Though I accept I may be misunderstanding how the updates are managed - it may well be more sophisticated than I am assuming.

I have exactly the same problem same fault code p20ee00 and adblue issues. EML keeps coming on every 200 miles I had the Nox replaced I am convinced at to do with the Pendle remap. Perhaps the higher bhp from the remap is causing the Nox to rad low as the engine is performing higher. I emailed pendle and never had a reply, disappointing. I’m now considering getting he van reset back to vw original software performance map. Comments appreciated

I had the same fault code. After replacing the NOx sensor, which did not cure the problem, I then read about the update.
VW said that my van did not require the update!
My van had also been re mapped, & made the decision to get the re map taken off, check & install the new update & then re install the map. The garage charged me £60 to do this.
Touch wood, I have at present covered approx 700 miles, & the eml has not come back on yet

I had the same fault code. After replacing the NOx sensor, which did not cure the problem, I then read about the update.
My van had also been re mapped, & made the decision to get the re map taken off, check & install the new update & then re install the map. The garage charged me £60 to do this.
Touch wood, I have at present covered approx 700 miles, & the eml has not come back on yet
Thank for the reply what do you ask the garage to reset, I see all sorts of software update versions mentioned on the forum.did you use a vw van centre??

MeAnt to ask did you get the remap installed again after the vw install as I though this would overwrite the vw reinstal? Thx

Back