Engine Management Light (EML) on - emissions control.

Bernie the Bolt

VIP Member
Hi all, I bought a used Caravelle last week and I have just clocked up 400 miles in it since collecting. This light came on whilst on the M25 this afternoon, should I be concerned?

Cheers

Bernie

F7D6DF72-A0E3-43E8-8C0F-250A6733053B.jpeg

Hi all, I bought a used Caravelle last week and I have just clocked up 400 miles in it since collecting. This light came on whilst on the M25 this afternoon, should I be concerned?

Cheers

Bernie

View attachment 38717
You will need a code scanner like Carista or vcds to pull the fault codes.

They will give you an idea of what the van is compaining about.......most likley an emmissions related issue and not critical.

If the van is under 36mnths old you can call VW Assist to Help You with faults and codes for free.

You will need a code scanner like Carista or vcds to pull the fault codes.

They will give you an idea of what the van is compaining about.......most likley an emmissions related issue and not critical.

If the van is under 36mnths old you can call VW Assist to Help You with faults and codes for free.
Cheers for the advice, will call them tomorrow

I’ve had my van for 3 weeks - this morning the Engine Management Lamp was flashing on first start up. I pulled over and switched off the ignition and then restarted after which the warning light did not reappear.

The van has done 6000 miles.

It is worth taking it back to the dealer for diagnostic or just continue driving as long as the light does not reappear?

It’s a 3 hr round trip to the dealer so don’t want to waste a day unless absolutely necessary.

just keep driving it and see if the light comes back on.

You will need a code scanner like Carista or VCDS to pull the fault codes yourself.

That will give you an idea of what the van is complaining about.......most likely an emissions related issue and not critical.

Roadside Assistance | Car Breakdown Cover | Volkswagen UK

If your vehicle has already broken down or you need immediate assistance please call 0800 777 192.

Carista - How I Done It -

Vcds / Vagcom - How I Done It -

Hi

Can anyone help re the below on our 2018 edition 150bhp?

Driving on the motorway today and the engine management light came on. We have a Carista and it's showing the following. The van has only done 8k milesScreenshot_20190327-195712_Carista.jpg

02256 - will prob be you have left something in the 12v socket or OBD2 port draining power when van is sleeping - or a dashcam running 24/7?

@mmi found:
In the VCDS coding for plain "31103"
31103 - SCR NOx Catalyst Bank 1
P20EE 00 [039] - Efficiency too Low

T6 Fault Codes?

There was a recall to replace sensors on the 150 has yours been done?

31103 = P20EE - SCR NOx Catalyst Bank 1 - Efficiency too Low.
This is unfortunately very common, usually harmless, but there are also quite opposite cases...​

P20EE is standardized OBD emission fault code and 31103 is just VW equivalent, here they are actually just one fault.
As you mentioned being on motorway I'm curious to know how you were driving when the light came on: cruise control (regular/adaptive) on/off, approx. speed, steady uphill/downhill/flat, or in transition flat to uphill/downhill, etc.??

6720 - Rear View Camera - No Signal
Pretty obvious by explanation. There seems to be glitches which are recorded even though the camera works just fine. Perhaps doesn't power up fast enough... so root cause still unknown. I have three detected faults (in a year) in my counter but never seen camera failing - yet.
02256 - Quiescent Current - Upper Limit Exceeded
As @Dellmassive above.​

31103 = P20EE - SCR NOx Catalyst Bank 1 - Efficiency too Low.
This is unfortunately very common, usually harmless, but there are also quite opposite cases...​

P20EE is standardized OBD emission fault code and 31103 is just VW equivalent, here they are actually just one fault.
As you mentioned being on motorway I'm curious to know how you were driving when the light came on: cruise control (regular/adaptive) on/off, approx. speed, steady uphill/downhill/flat, or in transition flat to uphill/downhill, etc.??

6720 - Rear View Camera - No Signal
Pretty obvious by explanation. There seems to be glitches which are recorded even though the camera works just fine. Perhaps doesn't power up fast enough... so root cause still unknown. I have three detected faults (in a year) in my counter but never seen camera failing - yet.
02256 - Quiescent Current - Upper Limit Exceeded
As @Dellmassive above.​

Thanks for all that. Re when the management light came on, I think it was without cruise, flat steady speed/terrain, approx 60 mph

Interestingly, I've been reading up on other threads and the 31103 I think can be linked to adblue? If so, that might make sense as it was topped up the day prior. Before top up circa 2000 miles left, after it recorded 3500 but I noticed after the engine management light came on this had dropped to 3000 miles, yet I'd only covered 70 miles since top up. When filling we just added the remainder of the bottle we had. From what I've read you seem to be able to overfill the adblue tank which confuses the sensor? It didn't overflow as such but it did seem to swallow quite a lot when filling (what was left in the bottle, which seemed surprising)

If I reset the codes to sew what happens will this create any issues?

Thanks

Thanks for the information. The condition seem to match with other observations about the issue up here. However nothing explicit.

Clearing the faults doesn’t hurt. Only thing is that it clears “the evidence”. If there are no other symptoms like power loss, my wish would be if you could monitor the light and if it goes away check again faults with Carista just to see they fade away - after a couple of runs.

The reason being that this far I have seen more than 20 times the fault (31103) surface up to “confirmed” level and within a few startups fading down to “pending” and eventually disappearing from Carista. But still seen by other tools like VCDS or OBDeleven as inactive faults. “Unfortunately” not even once surfaced up to dash light for me.

So an update on our engine management light situation. The light remains on. Van drives fine but still a little concerned. Since it came on we've done a journey on approx 130 miles, a round trip journing of 250 miles and the odd short run here and there. Tempted to turn it off using the Carista but have heard about VW assist. Anyone know how this works? Would they come out to our home address is we called them? Van is 12 months old so still under warranty

Thanks

Reactions: mmi
Thank you very much for your experimenting. Looks like that when the fault goes up to the dash light level it won't go away anymore.

About the VW assist in the UK - I'm afraid I can't advise as the "rules" in the UK are obviously different than here in Finland. Here the dealership encourages to have them read and clear the faults as this gives them a tool to build more pressure for corrective actions at the factory. Another factor is that if something related turns out later after warranty period, these records are handy to prove it's not wear and tear type of thing.

Last edited:
Back