Electric hook up doesn’t charge- electric door doesn’t open electrically

MCJ

Hi, I’m having a couple of issues with the electrics in my converted T6.
The first is that when we recently went away we had electric hook up but seemed with hindsight to have been living off the leisure battery as despite being connected to the electric hookup, the leisure battery went flat. This charged up to some degree on the way home but plugging it into an electric supply at home doesn’t seem to have added to the battery.

Second issue is that the passenger side back sliding door seems to have lost its electrics and although it will open and close manually, it is difficult to and it doesn’t completely close flat to the van. The other side door (which we never use) and the tail gate (I think that’s what you call the boot door) still close electronically.

Any suggestions would be great fully received. I’m not mechanical in anyway and even pointed in the direction of a garage that would be able to sort these issues out would be a help- I live in rural Northumberland so am finding that a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Can you post some pics of your leisure setup and battery..? So we can see what you got.

I'm assuming you don't have a battery charger on the van...? Or it's not working?

When on EHU does it just feed power to a plug socket in van?

Do you have a DC-DC charger or split charge relay to charger the leisure battery when driving?

FYI... Most leisure switch panels are just a 12v power supply and not really suitable leisure battery chargers.

Most people fit a smart charger to the van so it charges up the battery when on EHU. (Some even fit two and have the starter charged too as that's what runs all the other stuff)

8E466521-3938-467C-B748-EE5FC8802544.jpeg080FE075-AD79-42A1-A3E8-B32BCB659AB0.jpegCan you post some pics of your leisure setup and battery..? So we can see what you got.

I'm assuming you don't have a battery charger on the van...? Or it's not working?

When on EHU does it just feed power to a plug socket in van?

Do you have a DC-DC charger or split charge relay to charger the leisure battery when driving?

FYI... Most leisure switch panels are just a 12v power supply and not really suitable leisure battery chargers.

Most people fit a smart charger to the van so it charges up the battery when on EHU. (Some even fit two and have the starter charged too as that's what runs all the other stuff)
So my understanding of what we have is a split charge relay that charges the battery when the vehicle is running and when hooked up to electricity. That’s the picture taken under the driver’s seat. It has just been replaced with a new leisure battery under warranty- which has now ended.
I have switched the electric panel on to show how it currently lights up

6793886F-4E63-41A0-B68A-715589DAA0A6.jpeg

that is a split charge relay . . .

it will charge the LB when the engine is running and the starter battery is above 13v or so.

not sure about on EHU, as the SCR wont charge the LB unless there is a charger connected to the starter battery to raise its voltage.

1635695992862.png

your Sargent EC50,

i dont think this has a battery charger built in.

ill check the install guide for it,

i think that's just a basic multimeter on the front panel.

1635696116731.png

Just a consideration to add to this, and to follow on from @Dellmassive comments. I have a second battery charger in my set up so that the leisure (and starter) batteries will charge when on hook-up. This all separate to the split relay (ctek) system that charges the leisure batteries whilst driving. So it sounds @MCJ that your electrical system has not been configured to make charging from hook-up possible.

I have a Sargent system and I think/hope you will find that the control panel is connected to a power supply box which has an inbuilt charger. When on mains hook up you have to turn the charger on by using the big red switch on the box.
below is a photo of the usual kit fitted
4D8EBFE0-2F9B-4F64-A593-BF0B7D09EE70.jpeg

as per below.

its just a 13.8v fixed output upto 12A - not a battery charger.

so depending on what loads you have and what power is being pulled to run them.

the remaining would be left for the LB.

Not ideal and not a charger, also no charge back to the starter. - so every time you unlock or lock the van or the internal lights come on you will be depleting the starter battery.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

3.1 Battery Charger / Power Converter The EC155PSU incorporates a fixed voltage battery charger / power converter. The battery charger / power converter also powers the leisure equipment when the mains supply is connected. This module supplies 13.8V DC to the leisure equipment up to a maximum of 12 Amps (155 Watts), therefore the available power is distributed between the leisure load and the battery, with the leisure load taking priority as per the following example:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1635700827739.png

1635700900966.png

1635700931391.png

1635700983704.png

Attachments

• EC155-User-Instructions-Issue-2.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 15
have a look at the "battery monitoring" thread above.

look at fitting a simple monitor - like the BM2.

then you can see whats going on with the battery, ie charging, draining, flat. full etc etc.

FYIW - i have two, one on each battery, starter and LB.

example BM2 -

1635701474487.png

Second issue is that the passenger side back sliding door seems to have lost its electrics
The first thing to check would be 40A fuse in holder SH27 under left seat. (For the right door it would be fuse in SH25.)
These fuses should be in location 7 in the picture.
1635703641978.png

your Sargent EC50,

i dont think this has a battery charger built in.

ill check the install guide for it,

i think that's just a basic multimeter on the front panel.

Just a consideration to add to this, and to follow on from @Dellmassive comments. I have a second battery charger in my set up so that the leisure (and starter) batteries will charge when on hook-up. This all separate to the split relay (ctek) system that charges the leisure batteries whilst driving. So it sounds @MCJ that your electrical system has not been configured to make charging from hook-up possible.
Thank you, we were previously keeping the battery topped up/ recharged hooked up to electricity at home. This is no longer working and I am not sure why or what to check.

I have a Sargent system and I think/hope you will find that the control panel is connected to a power supply box which has an inbuilt charger. When on mains hook up you have to turn the charger on by using the big red switch on the box.
below is a photo of the usual kit fitted
View attachment 135241
Thanks, yes this is what we usually do however hasn't worked this time. The electric hook up only seems to have provided electricity to the 2 plug sockets (below the panel the same as above).

The first thing to check would be 40A fuse in holder SH27 under left seat. (For the right door it would be fuse in SH25.)
These fuses should be in location 7 in the picture.
View attachment 135252
Thankyou- I don't know where i would find this. The passenger seat is a double seat that you can turn around so has no fuses or wires etc. Any ideas where this may have been moved to? I have looked in the glove compartment and around that area.

Have you checked all the fuses?.

Check one at a time.

Especially number 10 ....

Screenshot_20211031-210922_Office.jpg

have a look at the "battery monitoring" thread above.

look at fitting a simple monitor - like the BM2.

then you can see whats going on with the battery, ie charging, draining, flat. full etc etc.

FYIW - i have two, one on each battery, starter and LB.

example BM2 -

View attachment 135247

Thankyou for this- I have been looking at various different ones but will take on board your suggestion.

Back