Electric Hook-up - Cut Into The Bodywork

There are a couple of blanking plugs on the inside the body in the rear corners (where the vent panels are) these allow a cable to get into the van between the inner hardboard and outer metal skins, other side of this bit at the bottom..
ventpanel.jpg

ventpanel-jpg.70906
he’s really gone for the Mad Max look

Three days after I bought the van it was down all its bumpers, covers and interior while I did rust prevention, gas tank fitting and insulation/sound deadening.
IMG20190106175049.jpgIMG20190323175000.jpg

I modified the panels myself. I have done both sides.
IMG_20190629_102556.jpg IMG20190624202831.jpg IMG20190624202648.jpg
The hinges are Hafele Grass Tiomos 110* Inset clip on 348.31.803 (I initially used the 95* ones but the door didn't open far enough to get the LPG filler onto the refill point) with 0mm mounting plates 348.38.511. The main part of the hinge is screwed to some 12mm hardwood ply and the plates are bolted to an almost 90* strip of 3mm aluminium which is in turn bolted to the body via rivnuts,
The ply is stuck to the plastic cover using PU adhesive.
I used a junior hacksaw blade and a reverse jigsaw blade to cut the plastic cover, cutting down the angles for the most part to leave as much of the cover as possible, replacing the plastic push fit retainers with bolts into rivnuts in the existing holes to keep the top part and side parts of the cover in place once they've been cut off the main cover shape.
I needed to reprofile the metal on the door alignment plates to allow the now opening doors to clear them, just cut it down to match the rubber block shape.

Some cam locks off aliexpress US $8.3 8% OFF|Black MS725 inner hexagon Cam Lock, cabinet Cylindrical door locks, for Distribution box,Industrial lock-in Cabinet Locks from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group to keep the covers closed with a couple of handles to make it easier to open US $6.17 22% OFF|Rarelock 10pcs/lot ABS Handle For Padlock Cabinet Lock Box,Lock Catch e-in Locks from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
I found an air powered finger belt sander with various grades of belt was the best way to shape the plastic and the metalwork, giving really a nice finish, you just have to be very careful and keep offering it up to check progress since you can't put it back on once you've ground it off.
If you need any measurements or close up pics let me know.

I modified the panels myself. I have done both sides.
View attachment 149830 View attachment 149831 View attachment 149832
The hinges are Hafele Grass Tiomos 110* Inset clip on 348.31.803 (I initially used the 95* ones but the door didn't open far enough to get the LPG filler onto the refill point) with 0mm mounting plates 348.38.511. The main part of the hinge is screwed to some 12mm hardwood ply and the plates are bolted to an almost 90* strip of 3mm aluminium which is in turn bolted to the body via rivnuts,
The ply is stuck to the plastic cover using PU adhesive.
I used a junior hacksaw blade and a reverse jigsaw blade to cut the plastic cover, cutting down the angles for the most part to leave as much of the cover as possible, replacing the plastic push fit retainers with bolts into rivnuts in the existing holes to keep the top part and side parts of the cover in place once they've been cut off the main cover shape.
I needed to reprofile the metal on the door alignment plates to allow the now opening doors to clear them, just cut it down to match the rubber block shape.

Some cam locks off aliexpress US $8.3 8% OFF|Black MS725 inner hexagon Cam Lock, cabinet Cylindrical door locks, for Distribution box,Industrial lock-in Cabinet Locks from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group to keep the covers closed with a couple of handles to make it easier to open US $6.17 22% OFF|Rarelock 10pcs/lot ABS Handle For Padlock Cabinet Lock Box,Lock Catch e-in Locks from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
I found an air powered finger belt sander with various grades of belt was the best way to shape the plastic and the metalwork, giving really a nice finish, you just have to be very careful and keep offering it up to check progress since you can't put it back on once you've ground it off.
If you need any measurements or close up pics let me know.
Thank you for sharing this - such a good and really neat solution. Sadly though, I think it's beyond my comfort zone and ability. Short of doing the obvious and cutting into the side of the van (which I wouldn't be comfortable doing either!), would you be able to suggest any other locations for the MHU which are relatively easy to do? The location needs to be at the rear and, ideally, on the nearside but offside would also be OK.

Well, there's a fairly large empty space just under the left rear corner of the van, you could fix a waterproof inlet under there.

Wonderful, thank you. I shall get underneath tomorrow to have a look. Much appreciate your help.

Back